FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR to KUL (or not...) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2086914-qr-kul-not.html)

kt74 Jul 14, 2022 4:06 am

QR to KUL (or not...)

OK, what's going on with KUL?

Until Covid, and then in the previously announced summer timetable, there were 3 flights a day - easily dovetailing in both directions with European connections

Then at some point one flight was cancelled, it was down to 2 a day (not counting DOH-HKT-KUL, which doesn't seem to carry pax between HKT-KUL - assume it's for cargo, and to avoid having to park up a plane at HKT all day?)

Then in May, with about 2 days notice, MH launched DOH flights, with EXACTLY AT SAME TIMES at one of the QR flights. Unsurprisingly, QR subsequently cancelled one of its flights, and existing passengers were either rebooked onto MH (a downgrade, IMHO - whether from old or suites 777s or A350s) or shifted to the remaining QR flight, with some looooong layovers in DOH as a result

Now, MH seems to have scheduled even more DOH flights AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as the remaining QR flight - see Aeroroutes - https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220714-mhaug22doh

Keep checking my booking for Sept, and I haven't been moved from QR to MH yet, but give it time...

Is QR giving up on KUL, or what? If I wanted to fly MH and it's sub-standard A330s, I would have booked MH! Satay and guava juice does not make up for no pyjamas and a rubbish bed....

Schwann Jul 14, 2022 5:08 am

Yeah I asked the Purser on my HKT-DOH flight and they said the HKT flight rotates between SIN/BKK/KUL for cargo reasons. It flies only with a Purser and the pilots for the short legs.

realgaga Jul 14, 2022 6:40 am

QR is having an aircraft shortage due to the lack of new aircraft and A350 grounding. They have then began partnerships with other partners with them operating the flight to/from DOH, an example being AA for JFK-DOH.

plunet Jul 17, 2022 6:24 am

Was speaking to a contact who is aware of inbound flows into KUL and has a clue what is going on with SIN and BKK by comparison, and their perception (unscientific) I that whilst there is some obvious uptick in loads to/from KUL there is a higher proportion of own nation nationals and residents flying to/from KUL compared to SIN and BKK... They were suggesting tourism traffic is very much slower to restart for Malaysia.

longtin23 Jul 18, 2022 8:44 am

Actually the mid-night departure on QR metal ex-KUL seems to be removed from sale, but MH flights did not appear too.

I am tempting to book for a trip on SIN-KUL-DOH for the midnight flight in mid-Aug, just worried it will get cancel eventually.

kt74 Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm

Yup, midnight QR853 is still on the schedule but now unbookable. However, the old morning departure ex-KUL QR845 has reappeared on the timetable, which avoids one of QR's 77Ws sitting on the ground in KUL doing nothing for 17 hours. Leaves KUL 10:55 and doesn't connect with anything to Europe except LHR. Low(er) fares as a result!

My best guess is that MH is operating the 2am and 9pm flights ex-KUL, and QR will operate the 10am. Ex-DOH it will be MH for the 1am and 8am, and QR for the 8pm. Most European connections flow to/from the MH flights, which will irritate any passengers rebooked from QR to MH - even non-QSuite QR 77W/350 are a step above MH's tatty old A330s...

If I get rebooked on MH, is that justification enough for a re-route? Gonna try and get my KUL-MXP moved to KUL-LHR, even though it's over 400 miles...

kt74 Jul 20, 2022 6:01 am

And, sure as night follows day... Check your bookings everyone going to/from KUL...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4373e28abc.jpg

oruvin Jul 20, 2022 7:46 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 34441730)
And, sure as night follows day... Check your bookings everyone going to/from KUL...

Our QR853 KUL-DOH in January 2023 still shows as active.

longtin23 Jul 20, 2022 11:20 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 34441730)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4373e28abc.jpg

so what’s the reaccomodation plan QR offered?

Stormbel Jul 21, 2022 1:56 am

My early morning KUL to DOH suddenly changed from Qatar to Malaysian last night. No email, just spotted when checking something on the app. Very disappointed as I paid for a product that I am not going to get.
It's part of a bigger itinerary.
So far the outbound is still Qatar but moved from a 350 to a 777 and losing the Q Suite. I need to arrive refreshed but that looks doubtful now!

kt74 Jul 21, 2022 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Chan Long Tin (Post 34442653)
so what’s the reaccomodation plan QR offered?

Same as the post above - minor time change and switch from QR 77W to MH 333. No thanks... Gonna call and try and shift to QR metal.

Stormbel Jul 21, 2022 4:59 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 34444693)
Same as the post above - minor time change and switch from QR 77W to MH 333. No thanks... Gonna call and try and shift to QR metal.

I wish that I could change but my dates are alongside my partner's return flights which are set in stone and a separate booking. Out bound dates are different.
I tweeted my annoyance and got a nice reply to DM my booking reference. My hopes were up for maybe an offer of something useful but all they then suggested was to call and rebook!
I hope that you can do something that suits you better.

longtin23 Jul 21, 2022 5:29 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 34444693)

good luck to you.

As I haven’t taken either QR and MH J, I just wonder wouldn’t it be better to have MH J/CL with direct aisle access than the QR 77W 2-2-2 old J/CL? And is the service from MH significantly worse than MH since it’s a sleeper service anyway.

kt74 Jul 21, 2022 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel (Post 34444750)
I wish that I could change but my dates are alongside my partner's return flights which are set in stone and a separate booking.

Thanks. QR is still flying daily, but it's now QR845 leaving at 10:55am. If you're connecting to LHR, you'll get in at 20:10 - so it's only 7 hours later (or book the day before)

Originally Posted by Chan Long Tin (Post 34444791)
As I haven’t taken either QR and MH J, I just wonder wouldn’t it be better to have MH J/CL with direct aisle access than the QR 77W 2-2-2 old J/CL? And is the service from MH significantly worse than MH since it’s a sleeper service anyway.

YMMV, but the old config 77W is very spacious, lots of legroom, no coffin for your legs, and solo travellers can just choose one of the middle aisles. QR offers a full menu of dine-on-demand, better quality food and drink, better amenity kit, pyjamas, two pillows, thicker quilts, bigger inflight entertainment library, more toilets per pax. MH does do better satay though...

Stormbel Jul 21, 2022 9:26 am

I'm starting and ending in Dublin.
I chose an unnecessarily early start in Dublin, 0815, just to get a relaxing and good Q Suite experience on the DOH-KUL flight. I also chose QR for the return so I could choose to eat asap after departing KUL and then sleep.
The outbound start means me leaving Belfast at 2am to get to Dublin. I could have chosen the 1500. It's not possible now as the connecting flight in DOH is either full or doesn't exist that day.
My plans were painstaking made many months ago as I have a very busy schedule and need to hit the ground running.