Wiki Posts
Search

Entry into Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Gold, BAEC, AMEX Plat
Entry into Qatar

My friend and I have an 18 hour Doha layover, flying QR in a combination of F/J coming up in around a week. I understand that we will be able to enter the Al Safwa lounge but 18 hours is almost certainly a bit too long. In order to kill some time we were planning to enter the city for the late afternoon/evening. We were wondering what the latest is regarding entry to Qatar and if anyone has entered recently as tourists.

I am a UK passport holder of GCC residency, my friend is a Taiwan passport holder of EU residency. We are both triple vaccinated with approved vaccines. Looking at the official COVID rules, it looks like we are bothexempt from pre-entry PCR tests and the pre-registration as EU and GCC residents. However, it does say that we would need to "proceed to any authorized private clinics for Rapid Antigen Test within 24hours of arrival in Qatar". We will clearly be in the country for less than 24 hours - is this still required for us?

As a UK passport holder I have visa free entry into Qatar, however my friend does require a visa on arrivalto enter the country. Looking at the entry requirements on the Visit Qatar website it does say that he would be eligible for an ETA and that "Travellers can obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) free of charge by completing an online application prior to travelling" however I cannot for the life of me find a link to be able to apply for this. Has anyone had any luck applying for this recently? Also - is a hotel booking required for the visa on arrival? We might just return to the airport to make use of the sleeping rooms within the Al Safwa lounge in which case we wouldn't book a hotel.

Any help or recent experiences with entry to Qatar would be much appreciated. Please also let me know if any of what I have stated above is incorrect or out of date.

Last edited by Bloxorus; Jun 26, 2022 at 2:33 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:50 pm

With regards to your first question, others on here have spent less than 24 hours in the country and did not go for a rapid antigen test so you won't have any problems by not going for one. You wont be in the country long enough for them to clock onto the fact you didn't take one.

Whilst it is not mandatory, I still think its wise to do the pre Etheraz online registration. It'll only take a couple of minutes and I think you only upload your vaccination certificate but it could save you some time at immigration on arrival.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ben_W
With regards to your first question, others on here have spent less than 24 hours in the country and did not go for a rapid antigen test so you won't have any problems by not going for one. You wont be in the country long enough for them to clock onto the fact you didn't take one.

Whilst it is not mandatory, I still think its wise to do the pre Etheraz online registration. It'll only take a couple of minutes and I think you only upload your vaccination certificate but it could save you some time at immigration on arrival.
Thanks, that is reassuring! I just did the registration and was approved instantly so hopefully that will save some time. Appreciate the advice
Ben_W likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I note the advice to pre register and this I will do. How easy is it to get the Lateral flow test in Doha and does anyone have a cost for this?

thanks
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Just as an update to others here:
We arrived having pre-registered for Etheraz and had a very easy experience entering the country. We were not asked for PCR tests at all and had no issue returning to the airport without having taken the antigen test.
binman, jah718, onlynik and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by binman
I note the advice to pre register and this I will do. How easy is it to get the Lateral flow test in Doha and does anyone have a cost for this?

thanks
Hi, I am a resident of Qatar and just returned from a short holiday. The government requires that people get an antigen test within 24 hours of returning. Failure to do so will result in the Ehteraz App changing colour which makes it impossible to access indoor locations (malls, hotels, AIRPORTS). As for the price of the test, it is 50 Qatar Riyals which is about 15 dollars and the results from my test at Sidra Hospital were emailed within 30 mins.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:24 am
akm

Originally Posted by Bloxorus
We arrived having pre-registered for Etheraz and had a very easy experience entering the country. We were not asked for PCR tests at all and had no issue returning to the airport without having taken the antigen test.
Thanks for this useful update. We may be doing something similar if we can go out in the afternoon/evening for about six hours during a 10 hours transit. Is it easy to find transportation to/from the city? Any pointers on where to go in the city would also be appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by akm
Thanks for this useful update. We may be doing something similar if we can go out in the afternoon/evening for about six hours during a 10 hours transit. Is it easy to find transportation to/from the city? Any pointers on where to go in the city would also be appreciated.
The taxi stand in HIA/DOH is good. Also, UBER operates in Doha too. Plus, the metro links the airport to downtown. So, lots of options. As for where to go for the afternoon or evening. I would suggest Souk Waqif. However, if you are in Doha from now until early October, the weather outside is too hot and humid to be enjoyable.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:03 am

As a UK passport holder I have visa free entry into Qatar, however my friend does require a visa on arrivalto enter the country. Looking at the entry requirements on the Visit Qatar website it does say that he would be eligible for an ETA and that "Travellers can obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) free of charge by completing an online application prior to travelling" however I cannot for the life of me find a link to be able to apply for this. Has anyone had any luck applying for this recently? Also - is a hotel booking required for the visa on arrival? We might just return to the airport to make use of the sleeping rooms within the Al Safwa lounge in which case we wouldn't book a hotel.

Any help or recent experiences with entry to Qatar would be much appreciated. Please also let me know if any of what I have stated above is incorrect or out of date.
Any luck with the ETA form? Where is it located? The visit qatar website says you can fill out online form but the link is broken or it says Qatar not open to foreigners!

Link says Qatar not open to foreigners lol
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by akm
This thread might be worth reviewing, the main nugget of knowledge is post 27, and the main update since the thread was created is that there's now the Qatar Metro.

QR free transit visa - DIY Doha night tour?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raj49
Any luck with the ETA form? Where is it located? The visit qatar website says you can fill out online form but the link is broken or it says Qatar not open to foreigners!

Link says Qatar not open to foreigners lol
We didn't end up registering for one. We just pre-registered for Etheraz (which was approved) and then showed up which worked for us. If your passport requires a visa on arrival the same should work for you. If you require an actual visa then I am not sure (I'd contact your local Qatar embassy to be safe)
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:14 am

Hi
my husband is a srilanka passport holder with U.K. residence card and we all are U.K. passport holders. It says on the website he needs an ETA but I just can find the link to do it. Did you get the authorisation from etheraz ore registration for your friend before you travelled? Was there any problem in the airport for not having the ETA?
It will be much appreciated if you could share your experience as I’m really stresses because our flight is tomorrow.
Thanks

QUOTE=Bloxorus;34450473]We didn't end up registering for one. We just pre-registered for Etheraz (which was approved) and then showed up which worked for us. If your passport requires a visa on arrival the same should work for you. If you require an actual visa then I am not sure (I'd contact your local Qatar embassy to be safe)[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nilani
Hi
my husband is a srilanka passport holder with U.K. residence card and we all are U.K. passport holders. It says on the website he needs an ETA but I just can find the link to do it. Did you get the authorisation from etheraz ore registration for your friend before you travelled? Was there any problem in the airport for not having the ETA?
It will be much appreciated if you could share your experience as I’m really stresses because our flight is tomorrow.
Thanks

QUOTE=Bloxorus;34450473]We didn't end up registering for one. We just pre-registered for Etheraz (which was approved) and then showed up which worked for us. If your passport requires a visa on arrival the same should work for you. If you require an actual visa then I am not sure (I'd contact your local Qatar embassy to be safe)
[/QUOTE]

Yes we only had the Etheraz approval, without the ETA. We had no problems so I assume you will also be fine.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:32 am

Hi, just wanted to check if your friend experienced any issues with the visa on arrival as a Taiwan passport holder? Whether Taiwanese can do the visa on arrival is left extremely ambiguous on almost all online resources, so just wondering if they had a smooth experience?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:31 am

14 days after vaccination requirement for 3rd booster vaccine

Hi guys,

I am flying to Qatar in coming days and I've got my booster (3rd MODERNA vaccine) just today. My 1 and 2 doses were taken more than 12 months ago.
I am not sure if "14 days after vaccination rule" apply for a 3rd booster vaccine as on the website it says following:

o Valid for nine (9) months from fourteen (14) days after 2nd dose vaccination of Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zenica COVID-19 vaccines.​
o Valid for twelve (12) months after the booster dose vaccination of Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zenica COVID-19 vaccines.

In my understanding there are no requirements to wait for 14 days after the booster dose.
Can anyone advise if I need to wait for 14 days after taking the 3rd booster vaccine? Or I am ok to fly and enter Doha?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.