Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR F - dress code?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There has never been an actual dress code on any airline or in any class of service. At least not in decades. But there was an expectation not long ago that you should make some effort in the premium cabins, like you would in a nice restaurant or hotel. Sadly, even that has largely disappeared. It's not so much that we as a species have become slobs (although we kind of have). The airport experience has become such a zoo that it can seem silly trying to maintain any kind of decorum. However, just because you can dress a certain way doesn't mean you should. Dressing better than you would to go to the corner to pick up a beer will elevate the experience for you and fellow passengers and crew. I would certainly make the effort on QR. AA maybe not so much.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Tofino87
I think I’ll go with the bottomless leather chaps.

Thanks though, I get it! 😂

First time in F and I’ve clearly read the wrong things through Google!
I suspect googling has led you to some kind of staff travel type website- airline staff travelling on industry discounted type tickets often have a dress code- no shorts, no sandals and collared shirts would be fairly standard requirements for this specific group of travellers in premium cabins
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
There has never been an actual dress code on any airline or in any class of service. At least not in decades. But there was an expectation not long ago that you should make some effort in the premium cabins, like you would in a nice restaurant or hotel. Sadly, even that has largely disappeared. It's not so much that we as a species have become slobs (although we kind of have). The airport experience has become such a zoo that it can seem silly trying to maintain any kind of decorum. However, just because you can dress a certain way doesn't mean you should. Dressing better than you would to go to the corner to pick up a beer will elevate the experience for you and fellow passengers and crew. I would certainly make the effort on QR. AA maybe not so much.
While I absolutely agree with you, I do remember about 20 years flying SFO to HKG with our teenaged children in J. Cathay upgraded us to F and looked at my son's shorts and asked if he had any long pants. He had some in his backpack and off we went, I dont think there was an actual dress code, but it didnt seem necessary not to comply. But agree, flown first in QF, Cathay, AA, JAL among others and Tshirts and jeans have never been a problem.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I'm no fashion plate, but it's somehow refreshing (or just surprising) to see someone asking how much they should dress up for any class of air travel instead of how dressed down can they get away with.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I flew dressed wit the best pieces I have in my closet but at the end of the flight after all the Krug bottles and probably too good start from Al Safwa I had different problem with me so the crew had 😀
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:11 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It’s sort of odd when you’re doing it right. You can dress up to board, but then immediately change into pajamas if you want.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
The airport experience has become such a zoo that it can seem silly trying to maintain any kind of decorum. However, just because you can dress a certain way doesn't mean you should. Dressing better than you would to go to the corner to pick up a beer will elevate the experience for you and fellow passengers and crew. I would certainly make the effort on QR. AA maybe not so much.
I'd like to add to your post. I think it is never silly to maintain some sort of decorum. The airport experience would be less of a zoo.
And of course I am not talking about silly brand flashing, fashion victims.

It definitely makes for a different experience for everyone One can dress simply, stylishly and comfortably. People notice - even if they don't bat an eyelid.

And thanks for your post.
homer3152 and terry1968 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you're flying F absolutely wear a fitted suit. Look the part and they might upgrade you. It's an old housewives' tale and it might work!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
If you're flying F absolutely wear a fitted suit. Look the part and they might upgrade you. It's an old housewives' tale and it might work!
If you're flying F, what would they upgrade you to?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by wordsew
T-shirt and a light weight wrinkle free blazer should get you by. As for trousers get yourself a pair of UnderArmor golf slacks....
The Miami Vice look never really took off here (anywhere), but maybe he should try some designer stubble with it too. Who knows?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:05 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
You're correct, but it is worth remembering that there used to be a dress code for the QR lounge in BKK, so it's a valid question.

M
homer3152 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Pilot
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Hahaha 🤣 brilliant!

Thanks for the replies everyone, at least I know that I don’t need to go buy anything!!
Maybe stretchy pants for all excess food and drink you'll consume
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Qatar Executive! - https://www.qatarexec.com.qa/
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Try to look (and act) like you belong in there
living in south florida, I have no problem wearing shorts or flip flops.
But normally, I will wear chinos w/flip flops and then change into shorts after takeoff for the 14 hour flight MIA-DOH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.