Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Can I leave airport for 10 hours if fully vaccinated but NO Covid test

Old Jun 17, 22, 9:45 am
Original Poster

My layover is 10 hours in Doha. I知 thinking of leaving airport to stay for a few hours at hotel and eat dinner in Doha.

I am fully vaccinated but will NOT be taking a pre-departure Covid test from USA (because its not required).

I was wondering if I able to leave airport or do I have to take a test to leave airport?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 22, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
My layover is 10 hours in Doha. I知 thinking of leaving airport to stay for a few hours at hotel and eat dinner in Doha.

I am fully vaccinated but will NOT be taking a pre-departure Covid test from USA (because its not required).

I was wondering if I able to leave airport or do I have to take a test to leave airport?

Thanks.
It will be easier for you to assess based upon your situation, the guidance from the Qatar government is fairly straightforward.

https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave....aspx#visitors
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Related but does anyone know why ages have to be vaccinated? For example, I have two young children. Does the State of Qatar have an age limit for vaccination for requirement for entry?
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999 View Post
Related but does anyone know why ages have to be vaccinated? For example, I have two young children. Does the State of Qatar have an age limit for vaccination for requirement for entry?
See #7 under General Policy in the link provided in the post immediately before your post.
7. Unvaccinated children below the age of 12 years travelling with immune or recovered parent/s will follow the same rules that apply to their parent/s and are not required to have a pre-travel PCR test but only post-arrival test (Rapid Antigen Test) at the following locations:a. Citizens and Residents: at any public/private clinic within 24 hours of arrival in Qatar and parent/s must sign an Undertaking form.
b. GCC Citizens (non-resident) and Visitors: if parent/s are exempted from quarantine, testing for children will be at the port of entry (airport, land, sea) upon arrival in Qatar; if parent/s are subject to hotel quarantine, testing will be at the quarantine hotel.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post

Thanks.
As per the current rules, only residents of a GCC country, EU/UK nationals don't have to take a PCR test to enter Qatar. It's optional, but if they do not, they need to visit a private health center within 24 hours of arrival for an antigen test.
Therefore, to enter from the US, you still need a PCR test. Also online Etheraz registration is still required if not coming from GCC, EU or UK.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by ffman999 View Post
No vaccination requirement for those under 12, as long as the parents are vaccinated.
Old Jun 20, 22, 3:04 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I wonder when Qatar will change the PCR requirement. Not many countries require this anymore.
Old Jun 20, 22, 6:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do kids have to get PCR tested regardless of their parents vaccination status? I find Qatar痴 website to be very unclear with these details compared to other countries.
Old Jun 20, 22, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The only reason I can think that they're doing this is the World Cup and they want to keep their noses as clean as possible. My guess it will disappear just before or just after the WC.

It's completely bonkers though. I bet there are a lot of people who would willingly extend their layover to avail of a hotel or other revenue generating activities in Qatar if they could - but won't if it involves either pre-testing or a antigen/lateral flow test within 24 hours. I certainly could with my recovered status but I can't be arsed with that arrival test.
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:24 am

I知 in a similar situation, I will be coming from EU fully vaccinated w/EU pass. The rules say I only need to test 24hrs after arrival but my stay is only 20hrs. Cannot seem to get a straight answer if I will need to take my rapid test on arrival still or if I can just leave before the 24hr period is up. If anyone has experience with this would be really helpful.
Sonne1982 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@Higherflights Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Higherflights likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Higherflights View Post
I知 in a similar situation, I will be coming from EU fully vaccinated w/EU pass. The rules say I only need to test 24hrs after arrival but my stay is only 20hrs. Cannot seem to get a straight answer if I will need to take my rapid test on arrival still or if I can just leave before the 24hr period is up. If anyone has experience with this would be really helpful.
Its within 24 hours of arrival, not 24 hours after.
I think you will be fine to just leave before taking one. It takes them some time to register who has and hasn't taken one. Its still worth doing the pre Etheraz registration online even though its no longer mandatory for those from EU/UK.
Us Qatar residents still need to take this test within 24 hours of arrival but recently my wife travelled and we completely forgot about the test. It took them five days to clock onto this before they called us and asked her to go for one.
That being said, its a pretty quick and straightforward to just pop into a clinic for a rapid test.
Higherflights likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 11:36 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Higherflights View Post
I also had around a 18hr Layover so went to stay in one of the hotels in the city. was coming from UK, didn't do any rapid test just popped out and popped back to the airport no worries. I did have my ehtraaz filled out etc.
Ben_W, Higherflights and tamag0 like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
The only reason I can think that they're doing this is the World Cup and they want to keep their noses as clean as possible. My guess it will disappear just before or just after the WC.

It's completely bonkers though. I bet there are a lot of people who would willingly extend their layover to avail of a hotel or other revenue generating activities in Qatar if they could - but won't if it involves either pre-testing or a antigen/lateral flow test within 24 hours. I certainly could with my recovered status but I can't be arsed with that arrival test.
I would really hope they lift this requirement before the WC. The rules are not super straight-forward (currently) and with people coming from all over the world, you'd hope they'd want to streamline things (since they've been preaching how hospitable and seamless everything will be). Plus, with how difficult it's proven for people to book flights into DOH without positioning somewhere else, it makes it SUPER risky.
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IHG Gold, BA Bronze, Accor Silver, ABP
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
As per the current rules, only residents of a GCC country, EU/UK nationals don't have to take a PCR test to enter Qatar. It's optional, but if they do not, they need to visit a private health center within 24 hours of arrival for an antigen test.
Therefore, to enter from the US, you still need a PCR test. Also online Etheraz registration is still required if not coming from GCC, EU or UK.
I do not see an exception from testing for UK nationals on the MOPH website. Only EU and GCC.

Last edited by stifle; Jun 27, 22 at 10:54 am

Search this Thread