that’s great news. Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
Yes that is great news
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:38 am

So I think the optimal departure strategy is:

a) Flying QR business - use QR lounge
b) Flying QR economy with status during the day - use Qantas lounge
c) Flying QR economy with status at night - fly MH to KUL and take QR from there.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by rberk
c) Flying QR economy with status at night - fly MH to KUL and take QR from there.
You'd detour via KUL?! You do realise the only lounge open at night is PP, which is not much better than SATS? Even in the daytime, the MH lounge is not worth it - doubt the Plat wing will reopen until pax numbers recover
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by kt74
You'd detour via KUL?! You do realise the only lounge open at night is PP, which is not much better than SATS? Even in the daytime, the MH lounge is not worth it - doubt the Plat wing will reopen until pax numbers recover
I was flying MH, not QR, but the other day, I was in the satellite terminal Golden Lounge, which was vastly better than SIN T1 SATS (not that that’s setting the bar particularly high). My impression was this lounge is open 24 hours - is that not accurate? And they told me the “first” class side reopens 16 June, but their voices lacked confidence.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
we were there April 29/30 and it was really bad. We did ask about the food on the menu but were clearly told they did not have anything else besides the curry slob. A new back would come at midnight and that was gone in minutes.
I’m on the 2:40 flight on 18 June. My usual Friday night thing would be, after my weekly downtown event that ends at 9pm, eat and drink at Clarke Quay or Robertson Quay. But I thought, why not eat and drink at the lounge for free?

In light of your experience, though, perhaps the path of wisdom is to follow my usual Friday night dining plan, since upgrades apparently won’t get the QR lounge.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Why would you not use the BA lounge or the QF J lounge (QF F lounge reopens next week) if you have status as all are open in the evening.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Why would you not use the BA lounge or the QF J lounge (QF F lounge reopens next week) if you have status as all are open in the evening.
That only works if the QR check in is open. If they open check in 3 hours before the flight time you might have 20 minutes before the BA and QF lounges close.

Globalist
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I’m on the 2:40 flight on 18 June. My usual Friday night thing would be, after my weekly downtown event that ends at 9pm, eat and drink at Clarke Quay or Robertson Quay. But I thought, why not eat and drink at the lounge for free?

In light of your experience, though, perhaps the path of wisdom is to follow my usual Friday night dining plan, since upgrades apparently won’t get the QR lounge.
Any food in town is better than no food (or leftover crappy food) in the SATS lounge.
indeed upgrades of business P fares do not include QR lounge access.

Globalist
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:46 am

I was flying MH, not QR, but the other day, I was in the satellite terminal Golden Lounge, which was vastly better than SIN T1 SATS (not that that’s setting the bar particularly high). My impression was this lounge is open 24 hours - is that not accurate? And they told me the “first” class side reopens 16 June, but their voices lacked confidence.
Not sure if it's back to 24 hours. But MH satellite lounge winds down after MH2 leaves - after about 23:00, the aircon is switched off, lights are turned down/off, bar is closed, no new food gets put out (yesterday's pasta, anyone?), then they start vacuuming... They won't kick you out, but they make clear that you're not welcome. I've done the 3am QR flight enough times to experience this...
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if it's back to 24 hours. But MH satellite lounge winds down after MH2 leaves - after about 23:00, the aircon is switched off, lights are turned down/off, bar is closed, no new food gets put out (yesterday's pasta, anyone?), then they start vacuuming... They won't kick you out, but they make clear that you're not welcome. I've done the 3am QR flight enough times to experience this...
I'm rather glad I rebooked to fly from Phuket at a sensible time rather than take the 0240 flight from KUL after my evening departure from KUL was cancelled!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
I'm rather glad I rebooked to fly from Phuket at a sensible time rather than take the 0240 flight from KUL after my evening departure from KUL was cancelled!
...to be fair, MH is not the designated lounge for QR ex-KUL. They direct you to the PP lounge, which is similar to SATS in SIN, Coral in HKT and Miracle in BKK. Perfectly acceptable for an outstation, but I wouldn't go out of my way (unlike, say, the true QR lounges in SIN/BKK or the QF in SIN)
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:37 pm

...to be fair, MH is not the designated lounge for QR ex-KUL. They direct you to the PP lounge, which is similar to SATS in SIN, Coral in HKT and Miracle in BKK. Perfectly acceptable for an outstation, but I wouldn't go out of my way (unlike, say, the true QR lounges in SIN/BKK or the QF in SIN)
Oh absolutely. I wasn't dissing the MH lounge.. I was rather looking forward to that lounge again - although it sounds like the table dining in the first lounge may have not restarted.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:24 am

Oh, I didn't know that.

Until a few days ago, I hadn't been in KUL since before COVID.

Oh - so access to the Golden Lounge is not possible if on QR? That rather changes things, I was naïvely assuming this is what one would get. Does that remain the case if one is attempting to enter using status? (I don't suppose arriving on MH changes anything.)

Originally Posted by Schwann
Oh absolutely. I wasn't dissing the MH lounge.. I was rather looking forward to that lounge again - although it sounds like the table dining in the first lounge may have not restarted.
They told me (on 4 June) that the first class side would open on 16 June.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:58 am

Oh - so access to the Golden Lounge is not possible if on QR? That rather changes things, I was naïvely assuming this is what one would get. Does that remain the case if one is attempting to enter using status? (I don't suppose arriving on MH changes anything.)

QR may contract the Plaza Premium lounge but you can still access the Malaysia lounge as per OneWorld rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.