Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhyx
digging their own grave and making consumers suffer with old products
Not only that but the widespread sub-contracting of flights to other airlines - either directly or indirectly. Finnair for example was perfectly fine for me when I flew them in July.. but if I book QR I don't want to end up on AY between Doha and CPH/HEL/OSL/ARN etc.

Although not that I can afford to fly QR these days.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Schwann
Not only that but the widespread sub-contracting of flights to other airlines - either directly or indirectly. Finnair for example was perfectly fine for me when I flew them in July.. but if I book QR I don't want to end up on AY between Doha and CPH/HEL/OSL/ARN etc.

Same thing with BA on DOH-LGW, MH to KUL, AC to YYZ or AA to JFK, it’s also another enabler for them to charge premium on QR operated flights over these subcontracted flights. QR J ex-LON horribly expensive unless you want to fly BA LGW-DOH for the first sector.
Schwann likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Schwann

Imagine someone (who isn't well versed in the field of aviation) booking a flight with QR from CPH to KUL, expecting Qsuites and what not (an average traveller might be misinformed), only to have it all shredded to pieces when they realize they'd be flying on a Finnair metal, a few hours in DOH (probably the only true QR experience), before getting on a MH A330.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by qraec777
Imagine someone (who isn't well versed in the field of aviation) booking a flight with QR from CPH to KUL, expecting Qsuites and what not (an average traveller might be misinformed), only to have it all shredded to pieces when they realize they'd be flying on a Finnair metal, a few hours in DOH (probably the only true QR experience), before getting on a MH A330.
I quite like the throne seats on the MH 333's
brunos likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Basically someone in QR needs to get pragmatic (put their ego aside) & make amends with airbus or they shall be at the mercy of Boeing with no room to negotiate & a lot of unhappy pax. If Boeing has more issues & further delays to their deliveries god bless QR for putting all their eggs in one basket. Someone at the top needs to take responsibility & step down at QR.
brunos and NicoNTE like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by qraec777
Hmm, in comparison to other airlines Qatar is still better in communicating it. When you book a flight in J you see the picture of the product and you can also easily figure out what airplane you will fly. Also it is mentioned during the booking process if it is QSuites or not. Other airlines are way worse, means you cant see what product you book and it might be hard to find out.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Panix
Hmm, in comparison to other airlines Qatar is still better in communicating it. When you book a flight in J you see the picture of the product and you can also easily figure out what airplane you will fly. Also it is mentioned during the booking process if it is QSuites or not. Other airlines are way worse, means you cant see what product you book and it might be hard to find out.
If only that were the case. My BKK - DOH flight has had 2 aircraft changes since I booked, and departure is still 2 months away.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
That means nothing - you are only getting a business class seat and not a guarantee of Qsuite or what's shown when you book. Many people have had their seats changed from Qsuites to non-Qsuite and vice versa before the flight (and that can happen any time between booking and maybe up to a few hours before you board the plane). There are also cases of showing the wrong product photo / stating it is Qsuite flight when it's definitely not Qsuite as reported recently on the forum (e.g. A380 business class seat is shown as Qsuite when no A380 has Qsuite installed).
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Showing a QSuites picture during the booking process is all well and good, until aircraft swaps happen and expectations are dashed. They're just unnecessarily setting the expectation for something that isn't guaranteed.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Showing a QSuites picture during the booking process is all well and good, until aircraft swaps happen and expectations are dashed. They're just unnecessarily setting the expectation for something that isn't guaranteed.
It show Qsuite for plane without too, QR Cargo show 77N, seatmap show the old 777 (same), but QR have Qsuite label & picture if you buy it at the same moment on the main booking page.

Qsuite ist just here for advertising/image... but people will be disappointed.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The airlines have always used a the stellar version of their cabin product to advertise, that is nothing new. Pre Pandemic QR wanted to agressively convert all aircraft to the new Qsuites but the A350 misery has thrown a spanner in that plan. They have a decent market share and have to operate a certain network to make the entire concept work. So patchwork it is. Sadly this only works right now because other airlines have overcapacity for a number of reasons. Over time that topic will address itself: either the capacity will be used as the market(s) recover or the wetleasing airline will return the aircraft to the lessor(s) because they don't need it. Hopefully QR gets all the B789 by then
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:55 am

Any thoughts on if they’ll bring out the parked planes during WC or not likely?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Any thoughts on if they’ll bring out the parked planes during WC or not likely?
I think that is unlikely. Unless I have missed something QR is still in the situation that it is the CAA in Doha that that has claimed the machine unfit to fly. There has been speculation that this was a move to put pressure on Airbus during negotiations, and this now means these machines won't fly until there is a fix or the CAA decides to reverse it's ruling that these machines are unfit to fly.

-A
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Does any one have stats from a couple months ago? I think they have since grounded more A359s the past two months? They’re probably trying as best as they can not to ground additional A35Ks as those are critically needed for LAX/SFO.

Total 29 frames grounded:

A35K - 12/19 operational, 7 grounded (A7 ANB-H)
A359 - 12/34 operational, 22 grounded (A7 ALA-L, P, T, V-X; A7 AME-I)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thinking out loud... would QR have an option to lease A350s if they can't buy them outright?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.