Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from airport into Doha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Getting from airport into Doha

As many times as I've flown QR in transit, it just dawned on me that I've never flown INTO Doha. I'm trying to find current advice for the best way to get into the city fairly quickly. Uber is often recommended in other cities, but does the free airport wifi extend to the outdoor area at DOH? I don't want to buy an international plan for the short amount of time I'll be there. A Google search seems to show that there is an official taxi company affiliated with the airport, but that they only accept QAR cash. Anyone know if that's still true? And if they are good about using the meter?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cctible
As many times as I've flown QR in transit, it just dawned on me that I've never flown INTO Doha. I'm trying to find current advice for the best way to get into the city fairly quickly. Uber is often recommended in other cities, but does the free airport wifi extend to the outdoor area at DOH? I don't want to buy an international plan for the short amount of time I'll be there. A Google search seems to show that there is an official taxi company affiliated with the airport, but that they only accept QAR cash. Anyone know if that's still true? And if they are good about using the meter?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
The airport WiFi does just about extend to the front of the building arrivals area but not much further. Depending where you are going, it might be worth considering the Doha Metro. Last time I used a cab there there was a fixed surcharge of something like QAR25 from the airport, but not when returning. On the limited number of times I have done this the cabbies we're happy to use the meter.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I see a variety of DOH ground transportation options listed here:

https://dohahamadairport.com/airport...om-the-airport
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
From my experience as soon as you walk outside the WiFi looses any usability so you have to book it inside and hang around the door until the Uber has arrived.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
It could not be easier. Once you enter the arrivals hall, turn left. Keep walking, following the taxi signs. You will come to a well organised and marshalled taxi rank - no pushy taxi touts. They are all blue taxis. Get in and tell the driver where you want to go. Not expensive, quick and easy. This is the best airport option. In the city I use Uber which have plenty of cars in Doha.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I don't think I want to mess with the Metro, so I think the blue taxis it is. Just need to make sure I have some Qatari riyals on me. :-)
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thanks everyone! I don't think I want to mess with the Metro, so I think the blue taxis it is. Just need to make sure I have some Qatari riyals on me. :-)
There is an ATM that is very obvious in the arrivals/luggage hall, after you've gone through immigration checks (but before customs)

I've done this trip numerous times with long overnight layovers, rather than hanging around the airport/expensive airport hotel, but you do need cash. You can use Uber for the return fare. I forget the exact amount of money I paid, was it about 80QAR to the nearer hotels and the furthest away (Ritz Carlton) was maybe 100QAR - so get a bit more than that to avoid problems. I then used uber to return back from the hotel to the airport using their wifi. [Edit, this includes the night surcharge just to clarify the prices, the websites say that it is cheaper at about 40-50QAR, but I'm always arriving late at night]

The taxis are really well organised and it isn't worth the hassle of uber when there are always cabs waiting and very well organised, for the same price.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by littlevoices; Apr 10, 2022 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: Alaska 75k
I just did this a couple weeks ago. Was going to take metro, but it was shut down with a bus bridge connection due to maintenance that day. Uber was fairly cheap (airport surcharge was QAR 8).
Do note that you cannot rely on wifi currently because you need the Ehteraz app to be running and have a green QR code at all times when entering buildings (including to get into the airport). This requires a valid phone number and data connection when in Qatar.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by burningflames
Do note that you cannot rely on wifi currently because you need the Ehteraz app to be running and have a green QR code at all times when entering buildings (including to get into the airport). This requires a valid phone number and data connection when in Qatar.
My understanding is that as of recently, Qatar will accept the equivalent "green" code of other GCC countries' apps. BeAware from Bahrain, Al Hosn from UAE, Tawakkalna from KSA, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: Alaska 75k
My understanding is that as of recently, Qatar will accept the equivalent "green" code of other GCC countries' apps. BeAware from Bahrain, Al Hosn from UAE, Tawakkalna from KSA, etc.
That is good to know. I'm sure the rules are changing constantly.

For reference, if it is needed, the cheapest sim card I found at the airport was 7 days 1GB for QAR 35.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks everyone! I don't think I want to mess with the Metro….

Pity! I get a measure of satisfaction in getting to grips with public transport options at airports, and Doha's is a doddle if you're unencumbered with large bags. The station's a bit of a hike through the car park, but once there you'll find marshalls and helpers happy to guide you through buying the travel card through the vending machines. In truth its a simple process, card costs QAR10 then top it up as you wish: rides are QAR2 with a maximum of QAR6 per day. The joy of this is you can use your credit card.

For a hotel you can get to quickly without a change of line, there are a few just 4 stops from the airport around al Jadeda station (including Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza), while DECC station is in the middle of West Bay's commercial area with a big shopping centre (City Centre Mall) and a host of smart hotels.

From the airport the souk (Waqif) and the museums require a change at Msheireb.

Stations and trains are sparkling clean, and for most of the day uncrowded.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Pity! I get a measure of satisfaction in getting to grips with public transport options at airports, and Doha's is a doddle if you're unencumbered with large bags. The station's a bit of a hike through the car park, but once there you'll find marshalls and helpers happy to guide you through buying the travel card through the vending machines. In truth its a simple process, card costs QAR10 then top it up as you wish: rides are QAR2 with a maximum of QAR6 per day. The joy of this is you can use your credit card.

For a hotel you can get to quickly without a change of line, there are a few just 4 stops from the airport around al Jadeda station (including Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza), while DECC station is in the middle of West Bay's commercial area with a big shopping centre (City Centre Mall) and a host of smart hotels.

From the airport the souk (Waqif) and the museums require a change at Msheireb.

Stations and trains are sparkling clean, and for most of the day uncrowded.
Totally agree! While a little longer than uber- I like the metro a lot aside from the hike from terminal to station which isnt really terrible in the grand scheme. Took it to Msheireb when staying at the Park Hyatt so didnt need to change stations but go out on the wrong side of the street so had to back down into the station. Considered hotels in West Bay and closer to the Pearl which were near the metro as well so feel like that would have been easy too. I had to buy a sim to get Ehteraaz to work- didnt work with my US line even on roaming
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
The taxis are really well organised and it isn't worth the hassle of uber when there are always cabs waiting and very well organised, for the same price.
Agreed. The Doha meter taxis are cheap, plentiful (not just at the airport) and in my experience much cleaner inside than the Ubers I've used there. And you don't need a data connection to wave one down.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Do taxis at the airport take credit cards?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: BA
Yes they do, I did an overnight at the Oryx a couple of weeks ago to break my journey from MEL before carrying on to LHR. It's so easy to take a blue taxi, just follow the signs.
I tend to use Careem in the Middle East rather than Uber but for info my fare was QAR 47 from the airport and QAR 29 back the next day using Careem. Not exactly breaking the bank and no cash required at any time.
florin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.