FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   TUN-DOH Oman Air (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2075190-tun-doh-oman-air.html)

wijibintheair Apr 10, 2022 5:16 am

TUN-DOH Oman Air

Hi All,

Am looking at flying TUN-DOH (onwards to AUH) frankly just to use a voucher before it expires and it is the only route that now falls within the value of my original flight. The flight is scheduled on an A330 - but given the terrible reviews of their A330s I am wondering whether to bother. The only thing I have noticed is that for the last week all the DOH-TUN-DOH rotations have been flown by Oman Air planes - are their A330s any better than the QR ones or just as bad?

Thanks for any insights.

KingCanute Apr 10, 2022 6:16 am

The business seats on the Oman Air widebodies are 2-2-2 but all direct aisle access, forward facing rather than angled, and no foot boxes to squeeze into. I like them. The window seats are great.

Their narrow bodies are all recliners though so be wary of swaps

IAN-UK Apr 10, 2022 6:58 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair (Post 34152562)
Hi All,

Am looking at flying TUN-DOH (onwards to AUH) frankly just to use a voucher before it expires and it is the only route that now falls within the value of my original flight. The flight is scheduled on an A330 - but given the terrible reviews of their A330s I am wondering whether to bother. The only thing I have noticed is that for the last week all the DOH-TUN-DOH rotations have been flown by Oman Air planes - are their A330s any better than the QR ones or just as bad?

Thanks for any insights.

Oman Air's A333 business cabin layout is much more attractive than QR's. If it weren't for the limited Sinbad programme, I'd happily use WY more often.

But QR's version is hardly hell on wings: I've no idea why you are quite so set against it.

I don't know if you need to fly TUN DOH or are just making the trip for the heck of it + TPs. But if the latter, and you are a gambler, the Cairo fares should suit you better - with a chance of Qsuites and al Safwa at Doha airport. And if you need to position for the QR-experience, Cairo is easier to get to than Tunis.

Schwann Apr 10, 2022 7:46 am

Is a refund of the voucher not a possibility?

wijibintheair Apr 10, 2022 8:12 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute (Post 34152641)
The business seats on the Oman Air widebodies are 2-2-2 but all direct aisle access, forward facing rather than angled, and no foot boxes to squeeze into. I like them. The window seats are great.

Their narrow bodies are all recliners though so be wary of swaps

Thanks very much

wijibintheair Apr 10, 2022 8:17 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 34152716)
Oman Air's A333 business cabin layout is much more attractive than QR's. If it weren't for the limited Sinbad programme, I'd happily use WY more often.

But QR's version is hardly hell on wings: I've no idea why you are quite so set against it.

I don't know if you need to fly TUN DOH or are just making the trip for the heck of it + TPs. But if the latter, and you are a gambler, the Cairo fares should suit you better - with a chance of Qsuites and al Safwa at Doha airport. And if you need to position for the QR-experience, Cairo is easier to get to than Tunis.

I am not so "set against it" as I have never flown one of their A330s and am simply going by what has been said here on Flyertalk. Thanks for the Cairo suggestion - I had discounted Cairo as I was wanting to do a stopover in Doha for a couple of days as part of the ticket and Egypt is one of the few countries that was still showing as a red list country for Qatar in terms of PCR test requirements etc. The other part was I have never visited Tunis before, would love to see Carthage and there are easy non-stop LHR-TUN flights that would fit with timings. Really appreciate the Cairo heads up though.

wijibintheair Apr 10, 2022 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 34152797)
Is a refund of the voucher not a possibility?

I will look at this option, but have been using holding out in the hope that something interesting would crop up and give me a good excuse to travel - I fear a refund would somehow get gobbled up with the everyday mundane :D

IAN-UK Apr 10, 2022 11:32 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair (Post 34152862)
I am not so "set against it" as I have never flown one of their A330s and am simply going by what has been said here on Flyertalk. Thanks for the Cairo suggestion - I had discounted Cairo as I was wanting to do a stopover in Doha for a couple of days as part of the ticket and Egypt is one of the few countries that was still showing as a red list country for Qatar in terms of PCR test requirements etc. The other part was I have never visited Tunis before, would love to see Carthage and there are easy non-stop LHR-TUN flights that would fit with timings. Really appreciate the Cairo heads up though.

Tunis is a splendid city to visit, but a neglected one: maybe the direct (and well priced) Nouvelair service will change that. Carthage might be a must-see, but if you get the time you're likely to be the only visitor to Dougga, a world heritage site about an hour inland from Tunis. It's a well-preserved roman town rather than a monumental city.

As for Cairo, it has its own rather well known artefacts and sites :D But QR also includes Alexandria in its network, although i think that think brings you down to narrow-body services.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the gripes about QR's suite-free wide-body fleet, especially for a relatively short evening or morning flight. I've no idea what folk get up to that requires in-flight privacy, although it's become a meme for premium-class travel. The suites are a novelty, and I guess the centre "pods" are fun for families, but i feel more relaxed in roomier open cabins.

stevendorechester Dec 7, 2022 12:59 pm

I just booked a flight from DOH to TUN with my Avios. The agent tells me that this flight is operated by Oman Air. It wasn' t available online but got it over the phone. Both the agent and I were surprised as Air Oman was not a BA partner. This is the first time I have ever booked a codeshare with points. Usually must be booked under the carier's code.

The question I have is will I have Oneworld benefits ( including lounge access) as this is not operated by a OW carier, however I am booked under a QR flight number. This could be one of those exceptions under a wetlease agreement. I recall a couple of years ago Air Canada flights being operated by QR and Air Transat. Passengers on those flights had MLL access and Star Alliance elite benefits applied to those specific flights operated by non-Star Alliance airlines ( QR and Air Transat).

gms Dec 7, 2022 3:00 pm

Due to aircraft shortages, QR is using a number of airlines under wet lease agreements. So this is effectively a QR flight and you should receive all your OW benefits as per normal.

I also have an Oman Air flight operating a sector from Colombo to Doha early next year. Although I can't currently select seats for that specific sector. Are you able to select seats for your flight?

stevendorechester Dec 7, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by gms (Post 34815473)
Due to aircraft shortages, QR is using a number of airlines under wet lease agreements. So this is effectively a QR flight and you should receive all your OW benefits as per normal.

I also have an Oman Air flight operating a sector from Colombo to Doha early next year. Although I can't currently select seats for that specific sector. Are you able to select seats for your flight?

The flight was booked over the phone via an Avios agent. This was a DXB-DOH-TUN Seats were assigned automatically. I was able to go on the QR site and get exit row seats for QR thanks to my status bur not able to change anything on the Air Oman portion.