Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class differences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

First class differences

So apologises if this has been covered before but I haven’t seen it recently.

is there even less differences with QA first now it’s been brought back?

Does anybody know if they’ve brought back first-only PJs and a different amenity kit? Or are they still the same as business…

the only difference I can see is Krug and caviar.

I have a first ticket booked for next month and hoping there will be some more variation as more routes are brought back!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I too am curious about the current state of Qatar's First Class product. I've got an opportunity to book it between Doha and Sydney this fall. Hopefully one or more of the cognoscenti here can shed some light on whether it's worth booking. Like the OP I apologize if this question has been asked before. Given the absence of First Class due to the pandemic related grounding of the A380s, my understanding was that it was Qatar's intention to permanently discontinue First Class. Now that the A380s have been brought back - if only for capacity related reasons - is the First Class being offered a truly dedicated product or more a case of the airline just going through the motions?

I've only seen a couple of reviews but they both would seem to indicate that in terms of the inflight product, the main differences between Qatar's First Class and Business Class are a larger seat, caviar and better quality champagne. Otherwise, the meal is said to be essentially a Business Class meal that's been plated a bit more nicely.

I have to admit that I'm more than a bit spoiled, having had the good fortune to have logged dozens of flights in First aboard the likes of Singapore, Swiss, Emirates, Cathay, Lufthansa, Qantas et al. Quite a bit of these travels were done back in the 80s and 90s when the meal services were much more elaborate than we see today (except perhaps on Emirates).

While the more pragmatic amongst us could care less about food, for me a quality First Class meal represents the very best form of inflight entertainment. I could care less about pajamas or Krug (though I really appreciate Chivas Regal 21 Year Old Royal Salute or Johnnie Walker Blue!) but if all I'm getting in First is a a more nicely plated Business Class meal, the big seat and access to the highly regarded First Class lounge at Doha, it's hard to justify the expenditure of an additional 55000 miles.

Thus my question here. That said, the fact that the OP's query has remained unaddressed for so long speaks volumes, so I'll await with fingers crossed...
jmj9905, SW7London and NoY like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I too am curious about the current state of Qatar's First Class product. I've got an opportunity to book it between Doha and Sydney this fall. Hopefully one or more of the cognoscenti here can shed some light on whether it's worth booking. Like the OP I apologize if this question has been asked before. Given the absence of First Class due to the pandemic related grounding of the A380s, my understanding was that it was Qatar's intention to permanently discontinue First Class. Now that the A380s have been brought back - if only for capacity related reasons - is the First Class being offered a truly dedicated product or more a case of the airline just going through the motions?

I've only seen a couple of reviews but they both would seem to indicate that in terms of the inflight product, the main differences between Qatar's First Class and Business Class are a larger seat, caviar and better quality champagne. Otherwise, the meal is said to be essentially a Business Class meal that's been plated a bit more nicely.

I have to admit that I'm more than a bit spoiled, having had the good fortune to have logged dozens of flights in First aboard the likes of Singapore, Swiss, Emirates, Cathay, Lufthansa, Qantas et al. Quite a bit of these travels were done back in the 80s and 90s when the meal services were much more elaborate than we see today (except perhaps on Emirates).

While the more pragmatic amongst us could care less about food, for me a quality First Class meal represents the very best form of inflight entertainment. I could care less about pajamas or Krug (though I really appreciate Chivas Regal 21 Year Old Royal Salute or Johnnie Walker Blue!) but if all I'm getting in First is a a more nicely plated Business Class meal, the big seat and access to the highly regarded First Class lounge at Doha, it's hard to justify the expenditure of an additional 55000 miles.

Thus my question here. That said, the fact that the OP's query has remained unaddressed for so long speaks volumes, so I'll await with fingers crossed...
As an aside it's nice to see Seat2A getting back to travel. Looking forward to your next TR.
Seat 2A and proton82 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jmj9905
As an aside it's nice to see Seat2A getting back to travel. Looking forward to your next TR.
Thanks, jmj9905 . Truth be told, since the pandemic hit in March 2020 I haven't taken any report worthy trips (at least none involving modes of transport that I haven't reported on previously). Be it First or Business, a trip involving premium class travel on Qatar and others will most definitely be worthy of a trip report!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks, jmj9905 . Truth be told, since the pandemic hit in March 2020 I haven't taken any report worthy trips (at least none involving modes of transport that I haven't reported on previously). Be it First or Business, a trip involving premium class travel on Qatar and others will most definitely be worthy of a trip report!
Great. I will look forward to it. I particularly appreciate your style of writing versus the picture TRS. I do not have the writing skills to do what you do. As an aside we leave on April 6 for safari in Namibia, Botswana and a couple days in Hermanus SA flying iad/doh/jnb/wdh mostly on QR in the Q suites.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
I know, this is a question about First Class, and my DOH-KWI Regional First Class opinion wouldn't matter here. Yet, I'd ask you to not expect the pre-pandemic style of personalization and consistency as you'd expect on QR F. Their AlSafwa lounge is amazing. Having flown on their J class product recently, I found the service to be really inconsistent, and not to the extent of QR's offering. The catering was mediocre too. (Keep in mind, I am comparing my experience with that of the pre-pandemic times). Agreed, it was a wonderful flight, great crew who tried their level best to serve the customers, but still, it lacked some sort of premium-ish ting, consistency, luxury and is definitely not the QR Premium product that I normally used to experience pre-pandemic.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I just flew on A380 to CDG in J. Out of curiosity I checked on F and asked a FA. She said that F service was back to normal (as described above).

Note that QR operates 3 daily services to MLE on CX 77W with F. I really love the CX F seat.No idea what is F&B service on this route.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:04 pm

Seat 2A - do QR normally serve JW Blue in F?! I was a bit disappointed with the whisky offerings I’d been able to discern this far, including those available in AS lounge.

JW Blue would go down nicely though :-) TIA
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:15 pm

I flew QR40 CDG>DOH in F last month. It's only a little over a 6 hour flight, but there were no pajamas and the amenity kit was exactly the same as J. The menu & service were spectacular, though. Maybe they would have given me pajamas had I asked?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MsEllie
I flew QR40 CDG>DOH in F last month. It's only a little over a 6 hour flight, but there were no pajamas and the amenity kit was exactly the same as J. The menu & service were spectacular, though. Maybe they would have given me pajamas had I asked?
QR has a weird policy of only providing pajamas (and also stocking bedding) on overnight flights, even in F...
fridgy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by MsEllie
Can you share the menu? Interested to see the quality!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:51 am

Just as a data point, here are the pre-order service choices for main courses on an upcoming DOH-ZRH in F…seems quite underwhelming, very similar to what they serve in C, I would have even preferred the poached lobster I keep seeing in the C dining thread!
I guess I shouldn’t hope for caviar as a starter as it’s a morning departure…and it’s only served on their longer-haul flights in F?
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by rosenkavalier; Apr 7, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
Can you share the menu? Interested to see the quality!
CDG>DOH in F on a388 near the end of February:

Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:26 pm

Thank you MsEllie!

Food and menu looks good for a relatively short day flight!

Although a bit of BA influence I think with the cauliflower main - seems to be a current BA staple!
MsEllie likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Just as a data point, here are the pre-order service choices for main courses on an upcoming DOH-ZRH in F…seems quite underwhelming, very similar to what they serve in C, I would have even preferred the poached lobster I keep seeing in the C dining thread!
I guess I shouldn’t hope for caviar as a starter as it’s a morning departure…and it’s only served on their longer-haul flights in F?
The halibut sounds nice. I am on the same flight after Easter and given it is a lunch menu rather than breakfast there should be caviar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.