Redemption bookings fees reintroduced

Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Redemption bookings fees reintroduced

As part of the switch from Qmiles to Avios, QR have reintroduced the non-refundable booking fee for redemptions that they scrapped in 2020.

I just made dummy bookings on 3 routes from 3 different origins and this new fee was the same amount on each booking (after allowing for exchange rates). It is also higher than the old booking fee that was scrapped.

Prior to be scrapped in 2020, a business class redemption would have a fee of USD50 per sector. It is now USD70 per sector.

Clearly this does not reflect the cost of making the booking. IMO a fare increase and/or a penalty for cancelling would be more honest.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: QR PC
I have just noticed the same thing. Shameful that the try to slip these fees in with absolutely no mention.. Always trying to nickel and dime passengers, I guess!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:53 pm

Is this added later in the booking process on QR website/app, when you enter passenger details etc, or included in the quote when you first select your cabin and it displays the YQ/Surcharges etc?

i just dont want to get all the way along and then have to pay additional fees on top of what I was expecting!!

Maybe a better idea to book the awards through BA app instead?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

It's included in the initial price but you won't be able to see a break down of the various elements of the taxes and fees figure until just before paying
I have just had a look at a QR redemption itinerary booked through QR and then through BA. The avios and fees seem to be the same on each now, although QR gold and platinum members will receive a 5% discount to the avios rate booking through QR.

It may be though that booking with BA could be a better option now as their cancellation fee for redemptions is GBP35 compared with QRs possibly 4x USD70 on a 4 sector J class return. But that depends of course on whether BA would also say the QR booking fee surcharge is non refundable. It's not clear on their website currently.

Last edited by KingCanute; Mar 23, 2022 at 9:38 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Like I was expecting, this is a real devaluation of the QR FF.

I booked a flight GVA-DOH-BKK in December 2021 71250 Qmiles with ~35 taxes and fees, the same flight with the crap Avios is now is 71250 Avios with 192 taxes and fees.

Thank you QR to hide it before it come...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KingCanute
It's included in the initial price but you won't be able to see a break down of the various elements of the taxes and fees figure until just before paying
I have just had a look at a QR redemption itinerary booked through QR and then through BA. The avios and fees seem to be the same on each now, although QR gold and platinum members will receive a 5% discount to the avios rate booking through QR.

It may be though that booking with BA could be a better option now as their cancellation fee for redemptions is GBP35 compared with QRs possibly 4x USD70 on a 4 sector J class return. But that depends of course on whether BA would also say the QR booking fee surcharge is non refundable. It's not clear on their website currently.
Via BA my GVA-DOH-BKK is 93000 Avios instead of 71250 Avios with QR, taxes and fees are the same...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Via BA my GVA-DOH-BKK is 93000 Avios instead of 71250 Avios with QR, taxes and fees are the same...
Oh, it must depend on the route then. LHR-DOH-BKK was the route I checked earlier and the avios and taxes were the same on both sites (apart from the gold/plat discount on QR)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Like I was expecting, this is a real devaluation of the QR FF.

I booked a flight GVA-DOH-BKK in December 2021 71250 Qmiles with ~35 taxes and fees, the same flight with the crap Avios is now is 71250 Avios with 192 taxes and fees.

Thank you QR to hide it before it come...
To be fair "only" USD 140 equivalent of that increase is the reinstated QR redemption booking fee

Weren't Switzerland also due to introduce a new carbon tax on flights this year?

Either way, yes it is a meaningful increase in price, and they do not appear to have announced the booking fees yet.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
In the price break-down, they are stated as non-refudable. Double the trouble.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by KingCanute

Weren't Switzerland also due to introduce a new carbon tax on flights this year?

Either way, yes it is a meaningful increase in price, and they do not appear to have announced the booking fees yet.
No the vote was refused, hopefully no new tax
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I made a redemption booking yesterday and the taxes were the same whether booked via BA or QR. Based on that there didn't seem to be any extra fees booked via QR.

Would have preferred to book via BA but there was an issue with married segment nonsesne on a longer layover.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
I made a redemption booking yesterday and the taxes were the same whether booked via BA or QR. Based on that there didn't seem to be any extra fees booked via QR.

Would have preferred to book via BA but there was an issue with married segment nonsesne on a longer layover.
The cash fees have increased this week on QR redemptions booked through QR, and the fees and some avios amounts have been reduced for some QR itineraries booked through BA, to bring them more into line with each other.

When I looked the other day, it is also now possible to book some BA redemptions through QR without having to go through the old "request" process, but it was more expensive to book them through QR.

Eg LHR - AMS one way economy, same flight, same day:

BA - 9250 avios plus 0.50 or
BA - 3600 avios plus 32.50

v

QR - 9250 avios plus 35.07

So it is worth checking both before booking to get the better value

Last edited by KingCanute; Mar 25, 2022 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

Anyone know if we can use EMDs/Vouchers towards the the pretty outrageous new booking fees?
Old May 15, 2022, 3:59 pm

Agent on the phone stated this non refundable fee is refundable under the Flexibility Guarantee Policy that last until 9/30/2022. Does anyone have conflicting info?
Old May 15, 2022, 4:04 pm

I have been charged about 100 each for 2 bookings I cancelled. The balance of the taxes/fees (minus that 100 each time) was then refunded.

Its bloody steep.
GalaxyChris likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.