Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways diverts Delhi-Doha flight to Karachi

Qatar Airways diverts Delhi-Doha flight to Karachi

Old Mar 21, 22, 8:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London
Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Posts: 1,709
Qatar Airways diverts Delhi-Doha flight to Karachi

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90348105.cms

NEW DELHI: A Delhi-Doha flight (QR 579) of Qatar Airways (QA) with over 100 passengers on board made an emergency landing in Karachi on Monday following smoke in the cargo hold of the aircraft. Passengers took to twitter to complain that the airline left them unattended when they alighted from the aircraft and were at the airport in Pakistan. QA has sent another plane from its hub to Karachi to fly passengers to Doha...............
jahason is offline  
Old Mar 21, 22, 11:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 811
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90348105.cms

NEW DELHI: A Delhi-Doha flight (QR 579) of Qatar Airways (QA) with over 100 passengers on board made an emergency landing in Karachi on Monday following smoke in the cargo hold of the aircraft. Passengers took to twitter to complain that the airline left them unattended when they alighted from the aircraft and were at the airport in Pakistan. QA has sent another plane from its hub to Karachi to fly passengers to Doha...............
It is definitely not an ideal place for Indian passport holders to get stuck.
ft4lyf is offline  
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:04 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London
Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Posts: 1,709
Contrary to public opinion there's actually a lot of warmth between the people. There are many cases of shop keepers and taxi drivers refusing to take payment from Indians in Pakistan.
friskygeek likes this.
jahason is offline  
Old Mar 21, 22, 5:28 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 15,436
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
Contrary to public opinion there's actually a lot of warmth between the people. There are many cases of shop keepers and taxi drivers refusing to take payment from Indians in Pakistan.
Sounds odd. And an oddness unlikely to be reciprocated …..
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Mar 21, 22, 5:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,315
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Sounds odd. And an oddness unlikely to be reciprocated …..
Here's an interesting article---it is from 2005, but it's still vivid and informative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/w...in-punjab.html
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Mar 22, 22, 3:48 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London
Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Posts: 1,709
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Sounds odd. And an oddness unlikely to be reciprocated …..
I am of Pakistani origin and been to India many times. You'll find it is reciprocated. Its the just the governments that need to sort it out. Anyway am straying into politics territory.

But all I'll say that given the chance public from either side should not feel they will not be welcomed by their neighbours. I have personally seen the welcome on both sides.
jahason is offline  
Old Mar 22, 22, 7:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,038
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
I am of Pakistani origin and been to India many times. You'll find it is reciprocated. Its the just the governments that need to sort it out. Anyway am straying into politics territory.

But all I'll say that given the chance public from either side should not feel they will not be welcomed by their neighbours. I have personally seen the welcome on both sides.
Even though I am now a US citizen.. would have love to see parts of Pakistan.. however being of Indian birth.. I will never be able to get a tourist visa to do so..
people are people.. and yes we do treat each other well....miss the old Cricket matches between these 2 nationsl
fotographer is offline  
Old Mar 22, 22, 3:51 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 30,353
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
Even though I am now a US citizen.. would have love to see parts of Pakistan.. however being of Indian birth.. I will never be able to get a tourist visa to do so..
Same with me. Have you tried for a visa? Wonder if they are easier on former Indian nationals getting tourist visas.
UA Fan is offline  
Old Mar 22, 22, 6:34 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Originally Posted by jahason View Post
I am of Pakistani origin and been to India many times. You'll find it is reciprocated. Its the just the governments that need to sort it out. Anyway am straying into politics territory.

But all I'll say that given the chance public from either side should not feel they will not be welcomed by their neighbours. I have personally seen the welcome on both sides.
Janab, you are quite right! Congratulations for having the intestinal fortitude to say so!
puchong is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 2:46 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London
Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Posts: 1,709
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
Even though I am now a US citizen.. would have love to see parts of Pakistan.. however being of Indian birth.. I will never be able to get a tourist visa to do so..
people are people.. and yes we do treat each other well....miss the old Cricket matches between these 2 nationsl
I know many people with US or UK citizenship and IOC cards who have been to Pakistan. So this should not stop you from visiting Pakistan. And just see the welcome you get when people find out you are of Indian origin.
People of Pakistani origin visiting India have to declare this on Indian visa application. Then you can only get a single entry visa and the process can take up to 3 months. But you should get it.
Sadly its not easy for Indian citizens to visit Pakistan or for Pakistani citizens to visit India - except for Kartarpur where Indian citizens can visit the Sikh temple in Pakistan for a day trip. You don't have to be a Sikh.

Let's bring this back into the context of Qatar Airways........For those of you who visit India you can do what I did last time. I had a business meeting in Delhi. I flew to Lahore on QR. After a few days there I took the Lahore to Delhi bus and then flew back from Delhi. the Lahore to Delhi bus is an incredible experience. Its cost around US$50 and this included breakfast (on Pakistani side near border), lunch (on a floating restaurant) and afternoon tea in India. The whole journey inclduing border crossing took 12 hours. 6am till 6pm.
ft4lyf likes this.
jahason is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 7:22 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,038
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Same with me. Have you tried for a visa? Wonder if they are easier on former Indian nationals getting tourist visas.
Would have.. but now most of my friends there have left.... so for now.. going to keep visiting the rest of the world...
fotographer is offline  
Old Mar 24, 22, 5:36 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 8,150
A reminder to keep things on topic.

Msm2000uk
QR Forum Moderator
msm2000uk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread