Domestic to International AA/QR

Old Feb 26, 22, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Domestic to International AA/QR

We have an upcoming flight from DFW-PHL, then a separate ticket from PHL-DOH-MLE. We will be all carry-on and have 2.5 hours to make the connection. My understanding is the move between terminals in PHL can be done airside. I assume I won’t be able to OLCI for PHL-DOH-MLE due to Covid doc checking, etc. Will I need to go landslide to the check-in counter or would I be able to do that at the gate? Do the QR gates in the US typically open just an hour before?
Old Feb 26, 22, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
You could directly proceed to the gate podium to get your boarding pass, although the gate podium might not be open until 1h-1h30min before departure depending on the situation, thus if you are planning to visit a lounge, it might be worth going landside and checking-in at the physical check-in counters.
Old Feb 26, 22, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
You could directly proceed to the gate podium to get your boarding pass, although the gate podium might not be open until 1h-1h30min before departure depending on the situation, thus if you are planning to visit a lounge, it might be worth going landside and checking-in at the physical check-in counters.
If it’s that tight it doesn’t leave much room for any issues at the gate either, think we’ll play it safe and go to the proper ticket counter then maximize the lounge.
Old Feb 27, 22, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jmail1 View Post
If it’s that tight it doesn’t leave much room for any issues at the gate either, think we’ll play it safe and go to the proper ticket counter then maximize the lounge.
Good call.

I just did PHL-DOH-MLE and they spent a good deal of time at the PHL ticket counter checking the various documents required for entry into the Maldives. They asked to see the QR code issued by the Maldives immigration site, a copy of our PCR test results, and a copy of our vaccination records (which AFAIK is not required by the Maldives for pax on tourist visas). I'm not sure that they would be willing or able to do all that at the gate, and I would not want to chance a fouled up check in for a bit of extra time in the lounge at PHL. The security lines at PHL in the evening are generally pretty quick, so you should be fine.
Old Feb 27, 22, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I do this all the time with QR @ PHL, do as others recommended, and go check in landslide.

Your biggest worry is going to be your DFW-PHL flight. 2.5 hours isn't a lot of typical AA rolling delay time factored in.
Old Feb 28, 22, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
I do this all the time with QR @ PHL, do as others recommended, and go check in landslide.

Your biggest worry is going to be your DFW-PHL flight. 2.5 hours isn't a lot of typical AA rolling delay time factored in.
We'll likely try and fly standby on the DFW-PHL flight two hours earlier, won't know until day of. With inbound flight tracking I should be able to know if the plane will at least be there. If it's looking like DFW-PHL will be delayed to the point where I'd miss my flight I do have the option of buying a ticket from DFW-DOH-MLE, the DFW-DOH flight departs three hours after our DFW-PHL. I'd rather not spend the money, but the fares aren't terrible right now.

I've never transited PHL, what's the most efficient process? Looks like I could be flying into A, B or C. Train? Walk?
Old Feb 28, 22, 6:31 am

It's a long hike (but easy) I always walk, even with luggage, even in the winter. I like the exercise before getting on a long flight.
Old Feb 28, 22, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
It's a long hike (but easy) I always walk, even with luggage, even in the winter. I like the exercise before getting on a long flight.
Thanks for the responses! What's worst case scenario, landing in C and walking to the ticket counters for Qatar in A? 15 minutes?
Old Feb 28, 22, 4:49 pm

Are you 20ish or 80ish?. 15 to 20 minutes.

Search this Thread