Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

ANY upgrade to first available with Qcredits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to find a flight on the A380 that has award space available in first, so I can upgrade a business seat to a first seat - paying with Qcredits. That's not allowed on flights from/to LHR, leaving only CDG flights. According to the QR agent on the phone, NONE of the CDG-DOH flights have any seat available in July, August & September.

What is your experience? Does QR open up availability in first at all? Do we have to look for that just weeks, days, hours in advance?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
QR would not open and block promo award/upgrade inventory for First Class on their A380 routes during peak season far in advance but closer to travel you might have availability popping up; worst case scenario, if there are empty seats on the day of the flight, you could always ask the check-in staff to use your Qcredits on the day of travel.

Also, I don't know if this rumor is true but some FT'ers have claimed that 2 F seats on the DOH-CDG flights were always blocked until the day of travel just in case someone from the Qatari Royal family wanted to travel last minute to Paris as well. That would leave 6 seats per flight which I think QR could sell.
Travel-Quinten likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:30 am

My experience of searching on the CDG route so far is that they haven't released any Z space on any of the A380 flights yet. It's not clear whether this will change in the future.

In the meantime, depending on your risk appetite, you may want to try booking a revenue J fare to/from CDG and trying to upgrade using QCredits at the airport. It's supposed to be based on last seat availability rather than Z availability, so if there are seats available on the day, it should be possible. Although YMMV since they may internally have changed policy during the A380 hiatus.

LHR is never bookable or upgradable to F using points or QCredits.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, stargold & ISTFlyer !
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Thanks for your help, stargold & ISTFlyer !
Anecdotally I've found upgrade space to First from/to HKG from mid March onwards, as they are flying the ex-CX 4-class birds. Same situation with MLE. Might be quite an old product, but at least the service is proper QR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.