Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways to adopt Avios, dropping Qmiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways to adopt Avios, dropping Qmiles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Joined with the code but the 2500 bonus miles don't appear in the account. Can't talk to QR because their local number cuts off when they try to connect me to the Privilege Club dept, and then when I try to call them direct in Qatar (they don't have foreign phone numbers for the frequent flyer department) the call drops when they go away to investigate my question.

Ideas? Hopefully it's just a momentary IT glitch.

Also: can you get the bonus for creating an account for a child below the age of 18? They don't seem to allow you to create any account at all, even without bonus points.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by salut0
Joined with the code but the 2500 bonus miles don't appear in the account. Can't talk to QR because their local number cuts off when they try to connect me to the Privilege Club dept, and then when I try to call them direct in Qatar (they don't have foreign phone numbers for the frequent flyer department) the call drops when they go away to investigate my question.

Also: can you get the bonus for creating an account for a child below the age of 18? They don't seem to allow you to create any account at all, even without bonus points.
you add your child in your profile as family member you will get one QR FF number for him/her, the miles will be credited to you
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How long do QR flights usually take to credit to Privilege Club?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
My experience is always maybe 2 hours after departure. I checked that with inflight wifi and the point just credited.
Schwann likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Can anyone explain what the benefits with avios are for QR-flier and QRPC members?
When I look to redeem QR-flights with my newly minted QR avios the award availability is lower and the fees are higher.

Can I redeem on other OW carriers more easily and/or cheaper than before? Or did they just open up the program for the billions of avios out there and left all existing QRPC members holding the short end of the stick?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: QF, HH
I have about 2000 Avios with Qatar. Other than gifting them to someone, what's the best way to use them?

I'm in Australia and not going overseas anytime soon, otherwise I'd consider accumulating more for a short-haul flight redemption in the EU or USA somewhere.

Alternatively, perhaps I can gift them to someone on these boards?

Ok, I'll head back to QFF now...
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catweazle
I have about 2000 Avios with Qatar. Other than gifting them to someone, what's the best way to use them?
I'm in Australia and not going overseas anytime soon, otherwise I'd consider accumulating more for a short-haul flight redemption in the EU or USA somewhere.
Alternatively, perhaps I can gift them to someone on these boards?

Ok, I'll head back to QFF now...
What's the expiry?
BA now allow AU residents to open a BAEC account, so you could move to BAEC. But check the expiry.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by intuition
Can anyone explain what the benefits with avios are for QR-flier and QRPC members?
When I look to redeem QR-flights with my newly minted QR avios the award availability is lower and the fees are higher.

Can I redeem on other OW carriers more easily and/or cheaper than before? Or did they just open up the program for the billions of avios out there and left all existing QRPC members holding the short end of the stick?
It seem like a disguised devaluation, they open arm to IAG group FF and redemption possibility for IAG customers, but the QR FF get just worst than before, much more expensive award, availability who vanish faster than ever...
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by salut0

I am in the same situation - account was created on 3/22 using FLYQR3 code, and 2500 Avios weren't credited. Did you eventually get the miles?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What's the expiry?
BA now allow AU residents to open a BAEC account, so you could move to BAEC. But check the expiry.
Thanks, good point. I'll check. Although BA may not be that useful in Australia either? Not sure.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Thanks, good point. I'll check. Although BA may not be that useful in Australia either? Not sure.
I think you can book Qantas domestic and Qantaslink flights using Avios at better value than QFF points.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
It seem like a disguised devaluation, they open arm to IAG group FF and redemption possibility for IAG customers, but the QR FF get just worst than before, much more expensive award, availability who vanish faster than ever...
I suspected as much. I was hoping someone would have spotted any kind of advantages for my kind to traveller: With zero investments in Avios ecosystem, with zero interest to fly on IAG airlines or purchase IAG goods/services, but with the deepest interest in flying revenue and redemption flights on QR.

So what happened is that they wanted to sell seats to the Avios community and decided it was going to be more valuable to the airline than any loylaty loss from their own elites/travellers.
That's too bad. At least the timing is good - before most of us made any investments in renewing QR PC platinum and locked in even more redemption currency in a program where it alreadey was difficult to redeem in premium cabins.
GalaxyChris and fender5787 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:35 pm

We have flights later this summer, and I am now debating whether to attribute our 37k miles each to Avios or AS. I wanted it to go with Avios for future QR flights, but if awards are hard to come by, then I may need to rethink.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
I suspected as much. I was hoping someone would have spotted any kind of advantages for my kind to traveller: With zero investments in Avios ecosystem, with zero interest to fly on IAG airlines or purchase IAG goods/services, but with the deepest interest in flying revenue and redemption flights on QR.

So what happened is that they wanted to sell seats to the Avios community and decided it was going to be more valuable to the airline than any loylaty loss from their own elites/travellers.
That's too bad. At least the timing is good - before most of us made any investments in renewing QR PC platinum and locked in even more redemption currency in a program where it alreadey was difficult to redeem in premium cabins.
Im kinda in the same boat. Unfortunately, I’ve been crediting all my OW travels (prior to the switch to avios) to QRPC, and currently about 140 qpoints away from renewing platinum. My plan is to just hit plat again which should keep me a OWE till Aug ‘23, and then switch to a better OW program (thinking AS). Irregardless, the switch to avios has seemingly brought no real benefits for folks like me and you, and as such, we should act accordingly.
intuition and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by fender5787
..... My plan is to just hit plat again which should keep me a OWE till Aug ‘23, and then switch to a better OW program (thinking AS)....
AS has a minimum own airline segments for status. As do BA, QF and some others.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan
*Qualifying Alaska Airlines flights include AS001-1999, AS2000-2999 (operated by Horizon Air), and AS3300-3499 (operated by SkyWest). The minimum number of Alaska flight segments to earn or retain status for 2022 must be flown in calendar year 2021. Segments rolled over from 2020 are not eligible.
**Minimum Alaska flight segment requirement in 2021 was 4 for MVP Gold and 6 for MVP Gold 75k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.