Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways to adopt Avios, dropping Qmiles

Qatar Airways to adopt Avios, dropping Qmiles

Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by choob
Once you link your avios ac there is a 'combine avios' link but that doesn't actually work for me right now
Ok found it. Moved some over and award searches are working. the top bar which shows the lowest points needed each day does not seem reliable. Some days does not have itineraries with lowest points in the bar.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:15 pm

Are you also including the 2x of the lower class in that observation? Even if you specifically search for Premium, the top bar will show the 2x Economy price which is quite confusing and renders it useless for me.

On a separate note, I thought that the carrier imposed fees for QRPC redemptions used to be very minimal, but now it seems to mirror the revenue ticket. Has anyone noticed this change?
LebaneseInQatar likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by stargold
Are you also including the 2x of the lower class in that observation? Even if you specifically search for Premium, the top bar will show the 2x Economy price which is quite confusing and renders it useless for me.

On a separate note, I thought that the carrier imposed fees for QRPC redemptions used to be very minimal, but now it seems to mirror the revenue ticket. Has anyone noticed this change?
glad you have noticed this as I have to . Just done dummy booking for same redemption ticket I took in March 2020 to DOH and fees are now 6 times what I paid then ! Fees seem now to mirror BA long haul ones for avios reward tickets . Nice one QR ! I was pessimistic that this change to avios was going to be a positive one - does not look like that . Guess proof was in lack of detail on the original announcement and avoidance of clear detail on the usual taxes. That said they did remove the signature booking charges that priv club members had to pay for several years back which I seem to recall being approx 50 usd per ticket .
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:38 pm

I was hoping to transfer QR Avios to my IB FF but see no mention of that.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I was hoping to transfer QR Avios to my IB FF but see no mention of that.
Do it via BA.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: QR PC
Originally Posted by tav1989
glad you have noticed this as I have to . Just done dummy booking for same redemption ticket I took in March 2020 to DOH and fees are now 6 times what I paid then ! Fees seem now to mirror BA long haul ones for avios reward tickets . Nice one QR ! I was pessimistic that this change to avios was going to be a positive one - does not look like that . Guess proof was in lack of detail on the original announcement and avoidance of clear detail on the usual taxes. That said they did remove the signature booking charges that priv club members had to pay for several years back which I seem to recall being approx 50 usd per ticket .
Same here. Disappointed!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by LebaneseInQatar
Same here. Disappointed!
I booked some LHR-AKL on QR last might. Normally on BA i need to book LHR-SYD and then add AKL...
First off the Avios points are MUCH lower on QR (90k vs 150k avios each way) as are the airline charges/fees (Ł500 vs circa Ł1000 now!), and i save on not having to add the SYD-AKL leg (usually 22k if flying J)

I have noticed that there is only 2 reward seats per sector thou on QR (before merger it was 4+ seats).. i hope that reverts...
In short it a positive move for avios collectors.. probably a bad move for qmiles people.. and probably gonna change fast as there is likely billions of avios out
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: QR Gold
Much higher ‘Qmiles’ now required, plus higher taxes.

About 6 weeks ago I burnt up my existing Qmiles balance which was due to expire. I booked a round trip via Qatar’s mobile app in QSuites with Qmiles, from LHR-KWI. Cost was 85k QMiles + Ł300 of taxes.

The same award ticket today is now pricing at 123k ‘Qmiles’ (in QR’s mobile app, surely it should now say Avios?) plus Ł560 of taxes.

so that’s a circa 50% increase in the number of points required, and almost 100% increase of taxes. (And no, none of the sectors are on the 2x Qmiles rate)

not good - has anyone seen news of a devaluation anywhere?!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by joeu1998
About 6 weeks ago I burnt up my existing Qmiles balance which was due to expire. I booked a round trip via Qatar’s mobile app in QSuites with Qmiles, from LHR-KWI. Cost was 85k QMiles + Ł300 of taxes.

The same award ticket today is now pricing at 123k ‘Qmiles’ (in QR’s mobile app, surely it should now say Avios?) plus Ł560 of taxes.

so that’s a circa 50% increase in the number of points required, and almost 100% increase of taxes. (And no, none of the sectors are on the 2x Qmiles rate)

not good - has anyone seen news of a devaluation anywhere?!
It sounds like you are being charged business class avios LHR-DOH, and then the first class rate DOH-KWI since this operates as first rather than business. So they appear to have gone back to the blockade period structure.

The have also reintroduced the non-refundable booking fees per sector. So you will be paying 2x the J fee for the LHR-DOH-DOH. and 2x the F fee for the DOH-KWI-DOH.

They said the pricing for QRPC members would be unchanged but appear to have brought back the blockade period "enhancements" that were dropped in 2020. So not the same pricing at all.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by KingCanute
It sounds like you are being charged business class avios LHR-DOH, and then the first class rate DOH-KWI since this operates as first rather than business. So they appear to have gone back to the blockade period structure.

The have also reintroduced the non-refundable booking fees per sector. So you will be paying 2x the J fee for the LHR-DOH-DOH. and 2x the F fee for the DOH-KWI-DOH.

They said the pricing for QRPC members would be unchanged but appear to have brought back the blockade period "enhancements" that were dropped in 2020. So not the same pricing at all.
Yeah, well spotted - I’d actually completely forgotten about all of those ‘enhancements’ (with the exception of when they doubled all the award prices, could never forget that part). One would think that QR may have learnt from their previous actions and the response from their FF community - but clearly not.

This is a real shame - I was hoping to start seeing a bit better value from QR with the Avios news, since I’m now a U.K.-based collector with a decent stockpile of Avios thanks to all the Amex opportunities here that weren’t available when I was based in Kuwait.

Looks like I may still be sticking with Iberia awards for their slightly cheaper chart and significantly lower taxes.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: IB+ Plata / LATAM Pass Black
Hello! How do you manage to simulate redemption flights in QR website when you don't have the necessary Avios yet in your balance? I just get a "you don't have enough avios for this booking" error and the system doesn't let me at least see which is the availability and simulate cost in avios + taxes.

Do I really have to transfer the whole amount of Avios from BA in order just to RETRIEVE the availability? Can somebody enlighten me on the process?

Thank you so much.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Is there a distance based table showing the Qatar Airways redemption rates anywhere?

I can't find one on the QR website.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wygun
Hello! How do you manage to simulate redemption flights in QR website when you don't have the necessary Avios yet in your balance? I just get a "you don't have enough avios for this booking" error and the system doesn't let me at least see which is the availability and simulate cost in avios + taxes.

Do I really have to transfer the whole amount of Avios from BA in order just to RETRIEVE the availability? Can somebody enlighten me on the process?

Thank you so much.
from what ive seen it seems to be a bug (for some people) once you link you account... seems to be a few workarounds.. eg have enough points, or unlink...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:37 pm

Anyone tried booking a partner award on Qantas metal using Qatar Avios yet? ExpertFlyer and Qantas not showing availability on the flight, but it's showing on QR website. Assuming it's phantom space but hoping since QR just started adopting Avios it might be real.

Last edited by knokturnl; Mar 23, 2022 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by knokturnl
Anyone tried booking a partner award on Qantas metal using Qatar Avios yet? ExpertFlyer and Qantas not showing availability on the flight, but it's showing on QR website. Assuming it's phantom space but hoping since QR just started adopting Avios it might be real.
I've noticed that too, QR shows availability for various flights that are not actually available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.