Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is re-routing possible due to flight cancellation?

Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Hi! I've got a flight coming up in Sept 22 (QR741, DOH-LAX) that has been cancelled. QR has rebooked me on the next available flight (QR739), but was wondering if it would be possible to change the destination (to DFW, QR729). The flight is showing as unavailable when I attempt to make a dummy award booking, though... TIA!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by hairhooks
Hi! I've got a flight coming up in Sept 22 (QR741, DOH-LAX) that has been cancelled. QR has rebooked me on the next available flight (QR739), but was wondering if it would be possible to change the destination (to DFW, QR729). The flight is showing as unavailable when I attempt to make a dummy award booking, though... TIA!
Have you already accepted the change? If not, you should be able to call in and change the destination for free.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by realgaga
Have you already accepted the change? If not, you should be able to call in and change the destination for free.
I haven't. I called in and they said I could change the destination, but only to a destination within the same country, which works for me in this instance. Unfortunately there are no more award spaces available to other airports at present, and so I'll probably wait it out and see if there are any additional flights loaded in time to come. Thanks once again!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
If they cancelled it and can reroute you within the same country, why do you still need reward seats to be available? Is that really QR policy?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frb98mf
If they cancelled it and can reroute you within the same country, why do you still need reward seats to be available? Is that really QR policy?
I'm not sure, so would love to hear from the experience of others! They didn't cancel the route, but the flight, and they put me on the next available flight out - that seems reasonable from QR's perspective (and mine, actually...?)
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I know someone who recently had LHE-DOH-LHR significantly delayed. He asked them to reroute to LHE-DOH-EDI and they did so at no extra charge. He had a Ryan Air LTN-EDI ticket which he didn't have to use in the end.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should be able to be rerouted to DFW even without award availability (QR award?) but you may have to insist/push to get rebooked like that as most agents will hesitate and try to resist by claiming that award availablitity needs to be present (which makes it much easier for the agent to deal with). Anyway, 1 option is also to wait and see it award availability will appear and then do the rebooking; - and if not you need to insist to get rebooked to DFW regardless that no award seats avaialble.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I haven't. I called in and they said I could change the destination, but only to a destination within the same country, which works for me in this instance. Unfortunately there are no more award spaces available to other airports at present, and so I'll probably wait it out and see if there are any additional flights loaded in time to come. Thanks once again!
No need award, they cancel so they will open a seat for you.

I had gva flight origin cancelled, I routed by zrh instead was award too, no space showing so they open it.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice! I called Qatar earlier and they refused to reroute me as there was zero award availability. I countered to say that I am aware that it is possible but requested to speak to his supervisor, which the agent refused to permit me to. He had checked with his supervisor and claimed that his supervisor was also unable to assist, repeating the line that there was zero award availability and they can't help as such. He eventually hung up on me after about 20 minutes of us asserting our positions steadfastly. Any suggestions on what I can do next? The agent says the only way to escalate is to write in to Customer Services, but I'm highly skeptical that it'll help.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Hi everyone, thanks for your advice! I called Qatar earlier and they refused to reroute me as there was zero award availability. I countered to say that I am aware that it is possible but requested to speak to his supervisor, which the agent refused to permit me to. He had checked with his supervisor and claimed that his supervisor was also unable to assist, repeating the line that there was zero award availability and they can't help as such. He eventually hung up on me after about 20 minutes of us asserting our positions steadfastly. Any suggestions on what I can do next? The agent says the only way to escalate is to write in to Customer Services, but I'm highly skeptical that it'll help.

Many thanks!
Have a similar issue, opened a case over two weeks ago and still haven't heard back, just still shows pending.

EDIT: Going to manage my booking and clicking change flight there I could start a chat, the agent was able to change the flight for me. It did take about half an hour to get it done.

Last edited by JasperT; Apr 10, 2022 at 1:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.