Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Ban South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
The UK is removing the 11 southern Africa countries form their red list. Hopefully more countries will follow suit.

https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/uk...from-red-list/
Wanderwithme likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:30 am

Hi All, would really appreciate thoughts/advice on the below. I currently have a return flight with QR from LHR to Cape Town, leaving Dec 28th and coming back on Jan 10th. Assuming that QR are still carrying PAX out of UK (despite the headlines) on the 28th *and* that their ban on anyone boarding their flights out of SA remains in place what's likely to happen to my ticket?

- Will QR let me fly out of the UK to CPT with them on Dec 28 while their return ban is still in place?
- Should their return ban stay unchanged by the time of my return flight to the UK, what are my rights? Will they rebook me onto another airline that take me back to LHR?

In case helpful, the flights are in business and I have BA Gold (although I don't think it matters here).

Many thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Dove777
Hi All, would really appreciate thoughts/advice on the below. I currently have a return flight with QR from LHR to Cape Town, leaving Dec 28th and coming back on Jan 10th. Assuming that QR are still carrying PAX out of UK (despite the headlines) on the 28th *and* that their ban on anyone boarding their flights out of SA remains in place what's likely to happen to my ticket?

- Will QR let me fly out of the UK to CPT with them on Dec 28 while their return ban is still in place?
- Should their return ban stay unchanged by the time of my return flight to the UK, what are my rights? Will they rebook me onto another airline that take me back to LHR?

In case helpful, the flights are in business and I have BA Gold (although I don't think it matters here).

Many thanks!
QR has banned carrying pax out from South Africa but continues to operates flights to so you'll be able to travel there. You should be able to get rebooked to another African destination or get refunded for your return portion. EC261 (the UK version of EU261) only applies to journeys from the UK or on UK airlines.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:51 am

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Dove777

Many thanks!
I would call and ask if they will rebook you on another airline for the return; in the first days of the cancellations, people on twitter were saying that QR was not rebooking them and just offering refunds resulting in higher last minute fares to be booked by the passenger.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
THat was my experience in late November. Flights from SA were all cancelled and we were only offered a refund for the unused portion of the ticket. Absolute refusal to rebook on any carrier.

Originally Posted by kq747
I would call and ask if they will rebook you on another airline for the return; in the first days of the cancellations, people on twitter were saying that QR was not rebooking them and just offering refunds resulting in higher last minute fares to be booked by the passenger.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
With news that Turkish Airlines will restart flights to and from South Africa today (18th), hopefully Qatar Airways will soon follow suit.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had two tickets to JNB from AMS. I was caught in SA when my return was cancelled. I eventually managed to book on a service with BA to London for over twice what my return QR tickets cost.

Today, I've had 1300 Euro land back on my card after spending 3480 on 2 return tickets.

Is that seriously the end of any responsibility QR have to me? I know as not on a EU/UK airline or flying from the UK/EU then EU261 won't apply but I can't believe there is literally zero duty of care or an explanation as to how they worked out my refund.

FWIW I spent £6700 on 2 x J seats back to LHR on BA
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I had two tickets to JNB from AMS. I was caught in SA when my return was cancelled. I eventually managed to book on a service with BA to London for over twice what my return QR tickets cost.

Today, I've had 1300 Euro land back on my card after spending 3480 on 2 return tickets.

Is that seriously the end of any responsibility QR have to me? I know as not on a EU/UK airline or flying from the UK/EU then EU261 won't apply but I can't believe there is literally zero duty of care or an explanation as to how they worked out my refund.

FWIW I spent £6700 on 2 x J seats back to LHR on BA
I had a similar situation when I was in China at the of Jan in 2020. Not QR, but a Chinese airline return back home, being inflexible, refusing to rebook, general aviation chaos and uncertainty, so I booked a different flight to get home. So similar principles applied.

I was fully refunded for the cost of the additional tickets by my travel insurance. Have you tried your insurer?

Airlines never cover consequential losses, that's why your travel insurance includes provision for travel failure and exceptions.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
I had a similar situation when I was in China at the of Jan in 2020. Not QR, but a Chinese airline return back home, being inflexible, refusing to rebook, general aviation chaos and uncertainty, so I booked a different flight to get home. So similar principles applied.

I was fully refunded for the cost of the additional tickets by my travel insurance. Have you tried your insurer?

Airlines never cover consequential losses, that's why your travel insurance includes provision for travel failure and exceptions.
Yes, Amex Platinum have been amazing and they are reviewing my claim now. I've no doubt I will get paid out. I was just amazed at the brazen way QR dealt with this. Had i t been a UK or EU airline it would have been very different.

Trying to call them was futile and I asked a question on that Zendesk thing 2 weeks again which has not been answered.

They may have lovely Q suites and better food than the others, but QR need to realise customer service is part of the overall experience. It's about time Skytrack or whatever other body keeps awarding them medals started to realise this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Just booked a flight to SA for January, why is there no information about this supposed ban on the QR website. What is the latest information?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Just booked a flight to SA for January, why is there no information about this supposed ban on the QR website. What is the latest information?
They have an alert banner at the top of their website. If you click on that, you are taken to the very limited information that is currently available. I have been checking daily for updates but they still haven't provided restart information
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
You guys are brave. QR banned flights from SA; then changed it to an outright ban; then announced reinstating of flights, and accepted bookings and money from customers; then cancelled the flights they’d reinstated hours earlier without actually telling anyone or explaining why; and maintain they will recommence flights on the entirely arbitrary date of 1 January, and you’re still booking?

I suppose in a couple of weeks we’ll have to read about your complaints with processing refunds, yeah?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
They have an alert banner at the top of their website. If you click on that, you are taken to the very limited information that is currently available. I have been checking daily for updates but they still haven't provided restart information
Thanks, I now see the link. I waited another second for it to appear, I was expecting it under this one:

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
You guys are brave. QR banned flights from SA; then changed it to an outright ban; then announced reinstating of flights, and accepted bookings and money from customers; then cancelled the flights they’d reinstated hours earlier without actually telling anyone or explaining why; and maintain they will recommence flights on the entirely arbitrary date of 1 January, and you’re still booking?
I suppose in a couple of weeks we’ll have to read about your complaints with processing refunds, yeah?
Yep I am hearing of pax being flown to SA, only to have returns cancelled, no rebookings on other carriers being offered, only refund of return leg :S
Will definitely need a plan B or may just do a refund.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:56 am

Where did you see the reference to Jan 1st restart? Thank you

I am keeping our flights for now and assuming we don't test positive we intend to go (return booked for Jan 10th). If we get there and the return is cancelled I have a Plan C which is 2x reward economy seats on BA out of CPT (not ideal, but if you need to get out comfort takes back seat). Otherwise I am seeing several European carriers (France, Germany and Switzerland and now Turkey all allow airside transit from SA to UK) selling one way business fares at £1,500 pp (which is similar to what QR would have to pay me back). None of this is ideal but this is one of the very few times a year when we can take a proper holiday and I am not willing to give up that easily! Good luck everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.