Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Equipment Change, still a thing?

Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA

Hi - I could really use some insight and feedback.
I will be traveling on Qatar for the first time in Oct. Going to Nairobi from NYC. I am booked on a 777. I have booked a QSuite.
Today I watched a video by Nonstop Dan giving a warning about the constant equipment changes Qatar does. He is a fan of the product but after several times of having the aircraft changed that really put a damper on his flight experience he spoke out about it in 2019.
Qatar seemed to take the approach of, not our problem equipment changes occur deal with it. Terrible way to handle an issue like this.
After months of back and forth between Dan and Qatar Dan was finally able to speak with the VP of Communications. Based on that conversation he was able to meet with several executives in Doha to discuss the issues and potential solutions. Ive reached out to him to see if he's noticed any changes since then although 2020 doesn't really count for travel.

I am so thankful that I saw his video as it makes me aware that this could happen. But I wanted to reach out here to see if anyone else has been experiencing the same issue since 2019 and if so, what has been Qatar's response to it?

I appreciate your time and you sharing your experience.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
They have been sending email alerts when this happens and offer to move you to a q suite flight which to me is a huge customer service win!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Originally Posted by kq747
They have been sending email alerts when this happens and offer to move you to a q suite flight which to me is a huge customer service win!
Hi, how far in advanced do they send out an email notifying you of the equipment change?
I've booked Q suites from Heathrow to Dubai for October using avios (partner award redemption) so not sure if i still receive those email notifications...

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by dood125
Hi, how far in advanced do they send out an email notifying you of the equipment change?
I've booked Q suites from Heathrow to Dubai for October using avios (partner award redemption) so not sure if i still receive those email notifications...

Thanks!
I imagine it is sent when the change happens and based on some reports it can of course change back to qsuite so if you have time it may be worth waiting to see if does get swapped back instead of changing your itinerary. I imagine to receive the email, you need ensure your contact information tied to a QR PNR so they can reach your. I doubt the avios team would send this out. And as always ExpertFlyer can also alert you to a change

Here is a sample:

Dear Customer,

Due to operational requirements, your flight QR3 DOHLHR/18Apr originally
operating as Qatar Airways Qsuite has been changed to a different
seating configuration. Despite this change, our award-winning business class
experience will remain the same. You can review or reselect your
preferred business class seat by clicking here.

We do understand that you might want to change to an alternative Qsuite
operated flight and we are ready to assist you with one free change. Please
get in touch with our customer contact centres to discuss this option. Our
contact numbers are listed here
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Originally Posted by kq747
I imagine it is sent when the change happens and based on some reports it can of course change back to qsuite so if you have time it may be worth waiting to see if does get swapped back instead of changing your itinerary. I imagine to receive the email, you need ensure your contact information tied to a QR PNR so they can reach your. I doubt the avios team would send this out. And as always ExpertFlyer can also alert you to a change

Here is a sample:

Dear Customer,

Due to operational requirements, your flight QR3 DOHLHR/18Apr originally
operating as Qatar Airways Qsuite has been changed to a different
seating configuration. Despite this change, our award-winning business class
experience will remain the same. You can review or reselect your
preferred business class seat by clicking here.

We do understand that you might want to change to an alternative Qsuite
operated flight and we are ready to assist you with one free change. Please
get in touch with our customer contact centres to discuss this option. Our
contact numbers are listed here
thank you! Ill sign up to expert flyer once more!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
This happened to me last month. Equipment changed and was moved to a non-Q suite equipment, despite me paying to upgrade. i did get the offer to switch to a Q suite equipped aircraft, but the only one available was two days after my original flights departure date. So they will offer to switch, but I would assume this only helpful if your travel arrangements are really flexible. Mine were not.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
I too have had an email with an equipment change from Q-Suite to a 2-2-2 777-200LR. I've read "Qatar have confirmed the presence of a policy whereby if a customer booked a QSuites flight and subsequently gets an aircraft type swap can you request travel on an alternative flight, subject to availability, see post #2709" in the Q-Suite master thread but can't find what I'm looking for. It looks like people have been able to change their affected legs (even to non Q-suite flights on other days), but has anyone been able to change the outbound, for instance, if it is only the inbound that is affected?

Any insight as to how Qatar might treat such a request?

thanks

MTP
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
In August I am traveling DUB-DOH-KUL and was on an a350 for the second leg.
By chance I found out that the aircraft had changed without notification of any sort and that I was in a seat that is not deemed one to choose!
So it appears that they don't bother sending emails any more!
There is another flight later that day. Can I ask to be moved onto it?
​​​​​​
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Stormbel
In August I am traveling DUB-DOH-KUL and was on an a350 for the second leg.
By chance I found out that the aircraft had changed without notification of any sort and that I was in a seat that is not deemed one to choose!
So it appears that they don't bother sending emails any more!
There is another flight later that day. Can I ask to be moved onto it?
​​​​​​
QR are still sending out emails when there is a change from QSuites. I had two last month however one of those reverted back to a QSuites aircraft but the emails were received within the 24-36hours prior to departure.

For your flights, the airframe & seating configuration could well change a number of times between now and departure. I would start to watch closer to the date rather than being too concerned with it just now. You could of course move to a different flight but theres nothing stopping that aircraft being subbed too.
Cat88L3 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by KayKaynyc
Hi - I could really use some insight and feedback.
I will be traveling on Qatar for the first time in Oct. Going to Nairobi from NYC. I am booked on a 777. I have booked a QSuite.
Today I watched a video by Nonstop Dan giving a warning about the constant equipment changes Qatar does. He is a fan of the product but after several times of having the aircraft changed that really put a damper on his flight experience he spoke out about it in 2019.
Qatar seemed to take the approach of, not our problem equipment changes occur deal with it. Terrible way to handle an issue like this.
After months of back and forth between Dan and Qatar Dan was finally able to speak with the VP of Communications. Based on that conversation he was able to meet with several executives in Doha to discuss the issues and potential solutions. Ive reached out to him to see if he's noticed any changes since then although 2020 doesn't really count for travel.

I am so thankful that I saw his video as it makes me aware that this could happen. But I wanted to reach out here to see if anyone else has been experiencing the same issue since 2019 and if so, what has been Qatar's response to it?

I appreciate your time and you sharing your experience.
My flight tomorrow Monday June 6th has had an equipment change 4 times in a short period maybe more 777 non Q suites then a330 then a359 and finally a 777 Q suites so guess it's worked out in my favour
QR831 BKKDOH
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by spec119
My flight tomorrow Monday June 6th has had an equipment change 4 times in a short period maybe more 777 non Q suites then a330 then a359 and finally a 777 Q suites so guess it's worked out in my favour
QR831 BKKDOH
It mean little until you are on that seat tomorrow ;-)
Best of luck! :-)
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:35 am

Unfortunately, yes..its March 2023 and they still do this..We booked a flight with Qsuite last Feb 2023 to Qatar airways agent and after 20 days they send us email that there is a change of time in flight (30mins earlier) so we accept the change. But after accepting we noticed that the seat arrangements were different from our original booking (2-2-2 configuration which is normal business class). So we called the costumer service and told us that the original booking we had is non Qsuite that is why the seat arrangements were changed to non Qsuite. We went back to the agent and told us that the flight we had previously was also changed to nin Qsuite and there is nothing that they can do. We asked the agent to check the system with the same day flight and it shows Qsuite, but in thier system it tells non Qsuite. I think it is kind of a scam. Because people might book that flight expecting that it is Qsuite then later will find out that it is not. So tendency is that you have to re-sched the flight with Qsuite and lose your privilege of one time change of flight. And they will tell you that it might change again, so another expense if you really want to fly with Qsuite. By the way our flight is still 2months from the change so we decided to wait for a few days or a month before we decide to re-schedule our flight. Hope Qatar Airways can do something about this..
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
I have a booking DOH-CDG in August which has been changed from 777 QSuite to an A380 - live chat on the QR website say there isn't a policy on changing flights when there has been an equipment change - does anyone know if this is the case or am I just getting the incorrect information from the QR agent?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Equipment changes on QR are a fact of life. People either need to live with it, or fly with somebody else.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by barnstaple
I have a booking DOH-CDG in August which has been changed from 777 QSuite to an A380 - live chat on the QR website say there isn't a policy on changing flights when there has been an equipment change - does anyone know if this is the case or am I just getting the incorrect information from the QR agent?
Was it a QSuite B777 before it became an A380?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.