Options if Oryx Booked?

Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Options if Oryx Booked?

Hello, flying Qatar Business Class YUL to LUS, arriving in Doha at 16:20 on the 31st of August, followed by a 10 hour layover (flight to Lusaka departs next day at 2:20).

Tried to get a resi at the transit hotel - alas, its fully booked. Ten hours seems long for the lounge, particularly after a 12 hour flight. I've looked at some third party sleeping pods, but the reviews are not great. I have also searched in this forum and there seems to be a limit of about 8 hours layover before individuals like yourselves recommend getting a hotel. With the covid restrictions, is it worth it? I know there is an app that needs to be used, and a purchase of a sim card as well. Additionally, I'd have to clear immigration and get a taxi to a local hotel. Is it advisable to try to get a hotel near the airport for this layover?

I will have a PCR test done in Canada and am fully vaccinated.

I've never flown Qatar previously, or had such a long connection - any advice out there for a newb? Appreciate it.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by flag99
Hello, flying Qatar Business Class YUL to LUS, arriving in Doha at 16:20 on the 31st of August, followed by a 10 hour layover (flight to Lusaka departs next day at 2:20).

Tried to get a resi at the transit hotel - alas, its fully booked. Ten hours seems long for the lounge, particularly after a 12 hour flight. I've looked at some third party sleeping pods, but the reviews are not great. I have also searched in this forum and there seems to be a limit of about 8 hours layover before individuals like yourselves recommend getting a hotel. With the covid restrictions, is it worth it? I know there is an app that needs to be used, and a purchase of a sim card as well. Additionally, I'd have to clear immigration and get a taxi to a local hotel. Is it advisable to try to get a hotel near the airport for this layover?

I will have a PCR test done in Canada and am fully vaccinated.

I've never flown Qatar previously, or had such a long connection - any advice out there for a newb? Appreciate it.
Try the Sleep n Fly lounge - they have rooms available for a nap airside at a cheaper rate than the Oryx Hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Im stunned at the Oryx price of US$325/night. I have a layover 8 hours. What at the possibilities to nap in the lounge?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Im stunned at the Oryx price of US$325/night. I have a layover 8 hours. What at the possibilities to nap in the lounge?
It's possible, they have a sleeping area at the very far end near the sandwich bar. However if you're a light sleeper it might be a bit noisy and it's usually a snoring competition.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Huh, Oryx website is showing booked up through the 5th of September. Wonder if it's a site bug or transit through there has gone parabolic? Guessing transit traffic. I know showing up at the Oryx desk on arrival is 99.9% guaranteed to fail, but I've never seen them booked out so far and i stay there several times per month.

I always book a room (weeks/months) in advance if it's an 8+ hour layover because comfortable rest is critical for the immune system and for overall physical and emotional health. To each his own, some like to power through 36 hours of travel.

As Schwann noted with accurate caveats, that sleeping area is an option however my wife tried it one time a few years ago on our first transit of DOH and no peace due to screaming babies/loud families. Plus, there is now frequently a wait to get one of the communal sleeping chairs.

12+ hour layover getting outside of the airport is an option if you carefully line up the necessary requirements. Personally, I would not try that on <12 hour layover, too much hassle.

If you are flying QSuites, that opens the possibility to time your sleep cycle to coincide with the sweet, sweet suite experience. Especially as QR does dine-on-demand (in J, I don't know about back cabin).

Last edited by LoungeLizardHugo; Aug 15, 2021 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I’m stunned at the Oryx price of US$325/night.
What's the cost in sleep quality, time, privacy, convenience, hassle and money of the alternatives? There are pros/cons on every side of that equation. Oryx is not inexpensive however it does provide real quantifiable value for those that seek what it offers. Rooms are modern, clean, stocked, quiet, cold, and usually provide trippy views directly into one of the most beautiful airport terminals in the world. Plus it offers 24 hour on-demand room service.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I have looked at the sleep and fly and the reviews are not great, apparently can be quite noisy. So maybe not that much better than the lounge, but I guess the one advantage is that you can be without a mask, which might be worth it. I guess 10 hours may be enough time to pop outside the airport before covid that is, but now not so much. I think I’ll plan on just the lounge and see how it goes...

thank you all for your thoughts. Appreciate it..
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just to let you know that in the quiet room cubicles ( sleeping/nap room ) in the Al Mourjan Lounge, there is no requirement to wear a mask when you're inside your cubicle.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

That’s excellent to know. Thanks for taking the time to provide that info. Much appreciation...
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Heading over to CPT, I have an 8--hour layover, departing 2 am. I may go to the lounge upon arrival, shower and dinner; then book a 4-hour stint in Sleep and Fly, and shower again in the lounge before boarding.

on the return, I have a true overnight layover, so I’ve booked Oryx for a good night’s sleep.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Just been through and did the two "other" options
1. The "rest" lounge on the first floor of the al mourjan lounge is FCFS and it can be hectic. 1. the majority of showers are there so in/out of people. you can only book them for 6 hours. Actually you can't book you have to be there early when someone leaves. One guy recently said he paid for the lounge because he thought that he was guaranteed a rest spot. there are small private cubes to the right of check in, but they are also open air with curved beds. Somewhat quiet. I was told there was change over for two spaces (out of 8 I think) was 11pm. I showed up 20 minutes early at got one. Others showed at 11pm and didn't . Was private, and somewhat restful but not perfect. Not gauranteed, be prepared to get there early.

2. I also did sleep and fly for 10 hours on a 14 hour layover (had access to al mourjian for a shower). There are private, semi quiet, small with a double bed with only one side exit access and not much room for luggage. Air con was good. We checked in at 10pm and was woken by the 11pm and 12pm change over, but then quiet until then. You pay by the hour and 10 hours cost me $260

the oryx was booked and would have done that if open.
unclepants likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by tfizzle

2. I also did sleep and fly for 10 hours on a 14 hour layover (had access to al mourjian for a shower). There are private, semi quiet, small with a double bed with only one side exit access and not much room for luggage. Air con was good. We checked in at 10pm and was woken by the 11pm and 12pm change over, but then quiet until then. You pay by the hour and 10 hours cost me $260

the oryx was booked and would have done that if open.
Hi! For the sleep and fly, do they lock from the outside? Can I stow my luggage and then go get a bite to eat and shower in the lounge and then back to the pod for a nap?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
No outside lock that I could see.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PPro
You can put your luggage in side and ask the attendant to lock the door while you are away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.