Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Need help with the current flight change rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I would like to book IAD-DOH-MLE. For my dates, the only flight option is:

IAD-DOH 9:05pm - 5:00pm
~9 hour layover
DOH-MLE 1:45am - 8:45am

However, for the second leg, there’s another flight that leaves later at 8:20am, which is a little more forgiving than the 1:45am flight.

My question is, after booking, is it possible to only change the second leg to the later flight?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 9volt
I would like to book IAD-DOH-MLE. For my dates, the only flight option is:

IAD-DOH 9:05pm - 5:00pm
~9 hour layover
DOH-MLE 1:45am - 8:45am

However, for the second leg, there’s another flight that leaves later at 8:20am, which is a little more forgiving than the 1:45am flight.

My question is, after booking, is it possible to only change the second leg to the later flight?
Even before booking the 01:45 departure, you could choose to take the 08:20 departure to MLE if you wish.
The QR website should show that option.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, however I am making the booking through the Amex travel portal in order to use points for the booking. And unfortunately, the portal only shows that one flight option.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 9volt
Yes, however I am making the booking through the Amex travel portal in order to use points for the booking. And unfortunately, the portal only shows that one flight option.
OK, so for any subsequent changes including switching from the 01:45 flight to the 08:20 flight you would need to deal with AMEX in this case.

You could try to book the long layover with points through the phone or you could book the shorter one online and call AMEX to change it to the later flight.
A reminder that calling QR would be useless for this case, nor the QR online website would work for changes as you will be booking through AMEX and you must handle all future changes with them.
9volt likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold/OW Emerald
I have never used the Amex portal/points for any bookings, but in this environment I only want to be buying tickets/dealing directly with the airline and it's policy, in case of changes/cancellation/refunds etc. which I have faced a lot in the past year.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Platinum Tier
Agree with the above. Always better to book directly with the airline.

OP: Ive done the same flight (IAD - MLE) on Qatar before and doing it again in December. The layover in DOH is easy - just get a room at the Oryx airpot hotel and chill... Unless you have a good reason for staying longer in Doha (city break perhaps?) the 1AM departure to MLE is always better because you get into MLE at a perfect time to catch the various transfers (sea plane, airline, etc) - otherwise you get into Male too late and have to transfer the next day. I dont know about you, but Id rather slog it thru the looong flight and get to my resort quicker haha. :-)

f.

Last edited by friskygeek; Jul 16, 2021 at 7:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.