Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

New "The Business Class Suite" [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "The Business Class Suite" [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mileageking
Interesting read on detailed.comparison between Business Class Suite and Qsuites.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/qat...usiness-class/
I disagree with several points there. The new Business Suite isn't private (TPG says it is). I saw the face of every person walking up or down the aisle. The doors on the new Business Suite aren't just lower and lighter, they're also designed not to actually close (they leave a gap). I also have never once felt I had "to put some real muscle to budge" the Qsuite door. I also think it's far too much of a stretch to describe the Business Seats as being able to be used as a double bed. That's just silly.
brunos and jah718 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:50 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I flew on one of these from NBO-DOH early this morning. Following a very long day of travelling from elsewhere and waiting around at NBO airport for a considerable amount of time, I was really looking forward to trying these suites out and thought I would get some quality sleep albeit for the shortness of the flight.

Have got to say, wasn’t overly impressed with the functionality or comfort of the suite at all. It looks really good and maybe if you’re an average sized flyer then views may vary. At 6ft 3in, I was well above the parapet and could see all other suites when looking around. The door felt like a cheap bit of plastic that wasn’t flush when closed. In the lie-flat position, I could feel ridges in the seat. With size 12 feet, the footwell isn’t very spacious in any way and as someone that usually sleeps on my left hand side, because of the shape of the suite, found it difficult to get into a comfortable position.

In contrast, because our flight into DOH was late, I missed my EDI flight. Ground staff had originally booked me onto tomorrow’s flight however asked for a re-route via LHR which they did and got to try the 77L Q-suite. Now that’s a business class seat. My first time trying it and will hopefully get another opportunity next month.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I flew on one of these from NBO-DOH early this morning. Following a very long day of travelling from elsewhere and waiting around at NBO airport for a considerable amount of time, I was really looking forward to trying these suites out and thought I would get some quality sleep albeit for the shortness of the flight.

Have got to say, wasn’t overly impressed with the functionality or comfort of the suite at all. It looks really good and maybe if you’re an average sized flyer then views may vary. At 6ft 3in, I was well above the parapet and could see all other suites when looking around. The door felt like a cheap bit of plastic that wasn’t flush when closed. In the lie-flat position, I could feel ridges in the seat. With size 12 feet, the footwell isn’t very spacious in any way and as someone that usually sleeps on my left hand side, because of the shape of the suite, found it difficult to get into a comfortable position.

In contrast, because our flight into DOH was late, I missed my EDI flight. Ground staff had originally booked me onto tomorrow’s flight however asked for a re-route via LHR which they did and got to try the 77L Q-suite. Now that’s a business class seat. My first time trying it and will hopefully get another opportunity next month.
This tallies with the comment by @Prospero that QR seem to have reduced seat pitch quite a bit vs. the 787-8, which is disappointing. This will probably go on my avoid list for longhaul along with e.g. AY’s A350 for the same reason.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Here is the seat map of the 787-9 positioned above the 787-8 for comparison. You can clearly see the Ardent Ascent seats allow for a layout with increased density.

Boeing 787-9

Boeing 787-8
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This tallies with the comment by @Prospero that QR seem to have reduced seat pitch quite a bit vs. the 787-8, which is disappointing.
Yes - from QR's own seat maps, seat pitch is 50" on the 788 and only 42" on the 789.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:54 am

Had the opportunity to fly on the 789 last week and wanted to post my views. Firstly, this is a completely different proposition to the QSuite, and they really shouldn't even be compared. Secondly, I am not a fan of this seat at all, for the following reasons:
  • The seat feels quite cramped and claustrophic
  • There is almost no storage - I found myself seriously struggling for places to put objects during the flight which was incredibly annoying
  • The door is not particularly high and doesn't feel as private - it also has a small gap in between
  • Footwell is cramped and small
Some positives:
  • Individual air vents
  • wireless phone charger
All in all, I found this seat to be worse than the old 788/A350/A380 seat. Sure, those seats don't have much privacy, but they feel way more spacious. I think I will be actively avoiding 789 flights from now on.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jah718
Had the opportunity to fly on the 789 last week and wanted to post my views. Firstly, this is a completely different proposition to the QSuite, and they really shouldn't even be compared. Secondly, I am not a fan of this seat at all, for the following reasons:
  • The seat feels quite cramped and claustrophic
  • There is almost no storage - I found myself seriously struggling for places to put objects during the flight which was incredibly annoying
  • The door is not particularly high and doesn't feel as private - it also has a small gap in between
  • Footwell is cramped and small
Some positives:
  • Individual air vents
  • wireless phone charger
All in all, I found this seat to be worse than the old 788/A350/A380 seat. Sure, those seats don't have much privacy, but they feel way more spacious. I think I will be actively avoiding 789 flights from now on.
All your points are exactly what I and others have said. In addition to posting here, I suggest sending this via QR's feedback form.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I agree with a lot of what jah718 had to say after my first flight on the B789. Definite cramped surroundings, lack of storage and a small footwell. I did like the nose gear cam though.

I thought it was a non tray aircraft because the tables were too small but we still got trays but plated service?

Overall I would be perfectly happy to sit there again.

(Seat 8A)

Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:26 am

I forgot to add, there is a B789 specific safety video. Much relief not to have that awful football one that lasts about 10 minutes.

Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I recently flew the 789 and pretty much agree with everyone about it being much more cramped (especially around one’s shoulders) than the Qsuite or even the old reverse herringbone. However, for a day time flight, it was perfectly fine. Though it’s more of a gimmick, I really thought the wireless phone charger/holder was pretty nifty. Now this is completely dependent on what seat you choose, but if you sit in the back (I was in 8k), expect to wait a *long* time for drinks and meal service. There’s only a forward galley, QR is short staffing flights currently, and there was only a single cabin attendant for each aisle, so service to the back of the cabin was very slow. But YMMV.

Pretty much all the storage you’ll get is that little box. The wireless phone charge/holder is pretty dope though
Schwann likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
Now this is completely dependent on what seat you choose, but if you sit in the back (I was in 8k), expect to wait a *long* time for drinks and meal service. There’s only a forward galley, QR is short staffing flights currently, and there was only a single cabin attendant for each aisle, so service to the back of the cabin was very slow. But YMMV.
Completely agree. I was in 8A and it took over an hour to get my drink and then 2 hours to get my after takeoff light meal option.

The poor FA having to serve 15 people was run off her feet. She did the best she could but the service (at least in speed) definitely suffered.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is there a list of routes where this new configuration operates?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ffman999
Is there a list of routes where this new configuration operates?
Not really, it's wherever the 787-9 operates.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Accidentally wound up with a 789 taking us to ARN tonight, hoping the narrow/cramped seat isn’t too bad for sleep as I would love to sleep as much as possible on tonight’s flight.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the 380 seat for being so open but it definitely was decent in terms of space and storage.

Ah well, at least it’s only a short flight!
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I was a bit apprehensive about the new seat after reading this thread, and on sitting down the lower seat pitch was immediately obvious, but after a red eye I was pleasantly surprised.

Flying as a couple we had the centre divider down, it’s nothing like the double bed QSuite but there is still lots of space for your upper body in various sleeping positions. Despite reading the TPG review, I found the knee clearance pretty low as a side sleeper. Unless I forced myself “up” the seat, my feet were touching the end of the footwell (I’m 5’11”)

Yes, there is less storage, but the space in the centre seats in between you is plenty to compensate (window seats are without this). I had a higher quality of sleep in this seat than on the 380, but that could be down to there not being any infants on this leg so the cabin was extremely quiet.

The walls are lower than QSuite planes but still
enough to afford plenty of privacy.

I wouldn’t actively avoid this type unless you’re particularly long or wide. I managed to watch a 111min movie, eat supper and get 4 hrs Kip on a 6hr 5min leg, and still have enough time for a tea and croissant before landing.
fridgy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.