Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting through Doha on Separate Tickets

Transiting through Doha on Separate Tickets

Old Dec 9, 21, 12:44 am

Self-connection in DOH with 2 different airlines/tickets

Is it possible to self-connect in DOH with 2 different airlines/separate tickets? No checked-in luggage, only handcarry, and assuming the first leg will allow me to board. Yes, I understand the risk of not being allowed to board in first leg, but I can take that risk.

Last edited by ABG2202; Dec 9, 21 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 9, 21, 1:47 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ABG2202 View Post
Is it possible to self-connect in DOH with 2 different airlines/separate tickets? No checked-in luggage, only handcarry, and assuming the first leg will allow me to board. Yes, I understand the risk of not being allowed to board in first leg, but I can take that risk.
Yes but you'll need to fulfill the entry requirements of entering Doha.
Old Dec 9, 21, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ABG2202 View Post
I've done it a couple of times on a combination of award flights. Plain sailing. Each time was hassle-free but QR was the second flight (AI-QR, TK-QR): BUT, importantly, both were in earlier, simpler days. These weird times are not good ones for adventurous ticketing.

There are two areas of uncertainty. You are confident you can neutralise the first one by convincing airline_1 you will be allowed to enter Qatar. The second risk is getting checked-in and boarding card issued by airline_2 online, and/or getting that confirmed/sorted out airside at DOH, for the second flight. If that isn't possible, time is needed to enter Qatar to check-in land-side at Doha.

For anyone entitled to a visa waiver, visa-free entry or visa on arrival then NORMALLY there'd be no problem about being accepted for the first flight, the one into Doha, as long as the usual evidence of return or onward travel is apparent.

But because entry is now modulated by Covid-induced regulations, there are additional hoops to jump through to get documentary proof that will satisfy the first airline you'll be able to enter Qatar.

Having that sorted, the other uncertain area focus on the requirements of the second airline involved, which might or might not allow online check-in for the destination you are aiming for, might or might not handle check-in and/or documentation checks airside. These things have changed, and continue to change, during the current state of emergency. However, with Qatar docs in order, and if you've budgeted sufficient time, you'll be able to go landside to check-in.
Old May 5, 22, 7:23 pm

Anyone have any update or recent experience with this?

I have two seperate tickets that are Qatar Airways flights (but booked through Qantas as Classic Rewards) Ticket 1: Helsinki-Doha, Ticket 2: Doha-Brisbane. With 19 hours between flights.

My intention is to transit in Doha on separate tickets/itineraries to Australia as my final destination. Australia does not require a pre-departure PCR test. Will the checkin staff in Helsinki be able to allow me to transit on seperate tickets, print boarding passes, check bags through etc and not be subjected to Qatar Entry requirements ie. a pre-departure PCR but rather transit requirements in Qatar.
Old May 6, 22, 1:49 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Babbler Bite View Post
Anyone have any update or recent experience with this?

I have two seperate tickets that are Qatar Airways flights (but booked through Qantas as Classic Rewards) Ticket 1: Helsinki-Doha, Ticket 2: Doha-Brisbane. With 19 hours between flights.

My intention is to transit in Doha on separate tickets/itineraries to Australia as my final destination. Australia does not require a pre-departure PCR test. Will the checkin staff in Helsinki be able to allow me to transit on seperate tickets, print boarding passes, check bags through etc and not be subjected to Qatar Entry requirements ie. a pre-departure PCR but rather transit requirements in Qatar.
Yes, QR offers luggage check through. It's advised to print qatarairways.com/oneworld off just in case the contract agents aren't aware.
Babbler Bite likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 8:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had recent experiences with this?

I am flying DXB-DOH as a single ticket, then DOH-HEL-SEA on another ticket. I donít have any checked luggage.
Old Jun 12, 22, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ffman999 View Post
Has anyone had recent experiences with this?

I am flying DXB-DOH as a single ticket, then DOH-HEL-SEA on another ticket. I donít have any checked luggage.
It would help to know a bit more... Operating carriers, time between flights at DOH. Not having check-in luggage is a definite bonus.
Old Jun 12, 22, 9:35 am

QR from AUH-DOH (2 hr 50 min layover) on one ticket. And then QR-DOH-HEL (2 hr 30 min layover) then Finnair HEL-SEA.
Old Jun 12, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ffman999 View Post
QR from AUH-DOH (2 hr 50 min layover) on one ticket. And then QR-DOH-HEL (2 hr 30 min layover) then Finnair HEL-SEA.
Very doable, especially as Finnair is OneWorld. Qatar in AUH should be able to check you through. Its their policy to do so (see upthread for the QR OW page web link) so if they refuse you can be polite but firm and ask for the supervisor at check in. If for any reason that doesn't work then a transit desk in Doha will be able to do it. Baggage could also be checked through as well although you say you don't have any.
​​​​​​
Have a good trip!
Old Jun 12, 22, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Very doable, especially as Finnair is OneWorld. Qatar in AUH should be able to check you through. Its their policy to do so (see upthread for the QR OW page web link) so if they refuse you can be polite but firm and ask for the supervisor at check in. If for any reason that doesn't work then a transit desk in Doha will be able to do it. Baggage could also be checked through as well although you say you don't have any.
​​​​​​
Have a good trip!
Thank you! And for reference, I found this on QRís website which also confirms what you said.

ďQatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets.Ē
Old Jun 12, 22, 4:34 pm

Yes, that is on QRís OW benefits page (which plunet, and realgaga earlier, pointed to):
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

Relevant thread on separate-ticket interlining of baggage for future reference:
QR Interlining (Baggage)
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: United Premier, Bonvoy Gold; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Booked two One Way awards in J on QR's website, because it would show an error using the Multi City option. Didn't think much of it, till I came to this thread.

JFK-DOH; 20 hour layover (Oryx, in order to avoid going out), then DOH-DEL.

I should be good, right? I have luggage though.

First time QR flyer.

Also, just in case, does DOH still require the 24 hour antigen test if one wants to venture out for a bit?
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Just a heads upÖ. If you have two separate tickets connecting in DOH, you must clear immigration and satisfy that you are able to enter the country at your first departure point. I just flew BKK to DOH in first and then DOH to JFK in business. Both were award tickets booked via Qatar on Qatar. It wasnít possible to book both legs on one ticket as it would result in an error even doing multi-city. I was forced to go through immigration in Qatar and then recheck in even though I showed my itinerary and short connection time. They simply do not care. Perhaps it is different in other countries with more flights but the agents in Thailand would not help.

So make sure you have had a shot within 240 days or you wonít get in among other requirements!
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Premier, Bonvoy Gold; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life View Post
Just a heads up…. If you have two separate tickets connecting in DOH, you must clear immigration and satisfy that you are able to enter the country at your first departure point. I just flew BKK to DOH in first and then DOH to JFK in business. Both were award tickets booked via Qatar on Qatar. It wasn’t possible to book both legs on one ticket as it would result in an error even doing multi-city. I was forced to go through immigration in Qatar and then recheck in even though I showed my itinerary and short connection time. They simply do not care. Perhaps it is different in other countries with more flights but the agents in Thailand would not help.

So make sure you have had a shot within 240 days or you won’t get in among other requirements!
That sounds like unnecessary hassle.

Last edited by knit-in; Jun 17, 22 at 2:55 pm
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
That sounds like unnecessary hassle.
Yeah! I know!! I was so frustrated and it kinda ruined what I was thinking was gonna be an incredible experience flying first on the a380. I was treated like a basic economy non-rev on the ground in Thailand and upon arrival even with my boarding pass and no checked bags to New York. They wouldnít let me transit. I had to deal with testing before and on arrival, having a hotel booking, travel insurance, and fully vaccination status. The officer wasnít nice either. I said well Iím just going to have to now cancel this hotel booking as you can see Iím going to be going right to departures now to go back to airside.
knit-in likes this.

Search this Thread