Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Threatens Airbus to Stop Taking Their Aircrafts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Threatens Airbus to Stop Taking Their Aircrafts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Court hearing set for week of April 26.

Also potential 50 A321 contract issue.

https://kfgo.com/2022/01/20/qatar-ai...or-late-april/

https://www.fxempire.com/news/articl...e-april-872501
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:24 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Airbus unilaterally cancelling the a321 order is a pretty short-sighted and childish move (unless QR agrees to it).
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by TBD
Airbus unilaterally cancelling the a321 order is a pretty short-sighted and childish move (unless QR agrees to it).
There is a flowery history in this relationship, and in this specific case. I am not sure I would distirbute the adjectives in the same manner.

-A
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

From what I understand:

a350s (900/1000) - QR currently owns 53 of which 21 grounded, 32 still operational. Additional 23 on order which it refuses to take until problem is fixed. Total 76 (after remaining 23 delivered) which is most of any airline worldwide. Seeking $618m through Dec 17 and further $4.2m/day in compensation. FIFA world-cup round the corner.

a321neos - 50 on order to satisfy new market demands. Deal completed December 2017 and delivery starting next February 2023 through April 2031 (6 to be delivered in 2023). Advertised sticker value $6.35b. Airbus cancels contract and also struggling to meet demand and can repurpose 50 elsewhere.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:07 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by TBD
Why?

Honestly I think Airbus shows they have cojones and for me childish is QR CEO who threatens everyone and thinks it will work... like kids in the kindergarten. It did not work with QF, oneWorld and will not work with Airbus.

Airbus will find new clients monetarily, QR is left with only one vendor - Boeing (and 'congratulations' to QR flyers as soon they will experience superiority of B737 MAX ).
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
I've done a lot of business in the Far East, and it often becomes a point when one decides its easier to cut their losses than struggle on - it can be pretty painful doing business in those regions. Perhaps this was Airbus's's's's's's's way of making their lives a lot easier - and a good way to catch up with outstanding orders.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I guess Airbus have just taken the lead and pulled the rug from under a perpetually difficult customer. Good for them.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I guess Airbus have just taken the lead and pulled the rug from under a perpetually difficult customer. Good for them.
It goes an extremely long way until a supplier cancels a siginificant order from an important customer but from Airbus perspective AAB must have overstepped a line in this dispute going legal otherwise Airbus would have done a lot to settle the matter (in case of merit) early on outside of the public eye. Perpetually difficult customer is a term both Boeing and Airbus would agree on while others would call AAB's constant hard play as David's legitimate battle to gain the most for his company from two Goliaths.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:57 am
TBD

I can't imagine the order allows Airbus to cancel for convenience ("because we want to"). We will never know this, of course, but would be very interesting to know the (written) cause for termination.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TBD
I can't imagine the order allows Airbus to cancel for convenience ("because we want to"). We will never know this, of course, but would be very interesting to know the (written) cause for termination.
They had a report on Sky News or CNN the other night. My understanding from that report was that the orders for the A350 and the cancelled A321's were part of the same contract. Airbus is claiming that by refusing to accept delivery of 20+ A350's QR broke the terms of the contract and therefore they are within their right to cancel the orders.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:07 am
TBD

Interesting. If so, then QR should have anticipated this. At the very least, they likely had some notice that their 321 order was at risk.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:33 am
Original Poster

QR and Boeing sign deal. Order worth $34B at list prices

25 x 737Max10 (largest model in Max family). Options to buy 25 more
34 x 777X. Options for 16 more
2 x 777 freighters

Boeing wins Qatar Airways order for 737 Max planes, new 777X freighters (cnbc.com)
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: QR Plat
Now the interesting part comes, Boeing has had a number of QA issues over the last few years. Will the 777X programme deliver QA that is improved enough that we won't end up with The Deliveries Redeux - Boeing Edition over the coming years? I'm sure this will keep pundits employed for some time yet.

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; Feb 1, 2022 at 5:32 am
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
There must have been a lot of negotiations going on behind the scenes. The Boeing deal must have been in the making for many months and Boeing must have offered real good discounts to survive its crises. QR has a strange way of doing business. Hard to know what will replace the A350s that QR badly needs. Keep leasing CX and other planes? Getting more B787? Using the 737 Maxjet for sorter routes?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Could it have been anything to do with the Emir's visit to the USA and also Qatar being declared a major non NATO ally by President Biden?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.