France just red-listed Qatar?

Old May 7, 21, 11:41 am
Original Poster

France just red-listed Qatar?

I just read in a French newspaper that: "Now the government has added another seven countries to the list Turkey, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar". Travelers from those countries are subject to a police-enforced quarantine. It goes into effect May 8 at midnight French time. Will Qatar still be flying to France?
Old May 7, 21, 11:46 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
There would still be demand for cargo and pax departing France, so I would think yes.
MsEllie and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 8, 21, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
There would still be demand for cargo and pax departing France, so I would think yes.
France is not banning QR.
But pax arriving on QR, EK, EY, TK have to quarantine (possibly at home) for 10 days.
As I mentioned elsewhere, the quarantine targets pax arriving from risky Asian countries (Indian subcontinent) transiting in DOH.
France was already restricting travel to essential travel and French residents. Quarantine is a new thing in France and very lax.
Old May 8, 21, 8:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
France is not banning QR.
But pax arriving on QR, EK, EY, TK have to quarantine (possibly at home) for 10 days.
As I mentioned elsewhere, the quarantine targets pax arriving from risky Asian countries (Indian subcontinent) transiting in DOH.
France was already restricting travel to essential travel and French residents. Quarantine is a new thing in France and very lax.
But what if you are arriving from the Maldives and transiting via Doha? Will you be subject to the PCR36hr + mandatory quarantine + antigen test on arrival or the normal rule (PCR -72hr)?
Old May 8, 21, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leadership View Post
But what if you are arriving from the Maldives and transiting via Doha? Will you be subject to the PCR36hr + mandatory quarantine + antigen test on arrival or the normal rule (PCR -72hr)?
As you know, France enforcement is chaotic.
In theory, if you arrive from Qatar the new rule would apply. That is whether you originate from there or simply staid a few hours in transit.
The logic is to apply quarantine to anyone who has been in the Indian subcontinent or mix with those.

But I have no idea how it will be implemented. There are 7 flights arriving in CDG from QR, TK, EK, EY, plus several other targeted nonstops (say AF from India), plus many pax transiting in Europe.
Old May 9, 21, 3:25 am

As you know, France enforcement is chaotic.
In theory, if you arrive from Qatar the new rule would apply. That is whether you originate from there or simply staid a few hours in transit.
The logic is to apply quarantine to anyone who has been in the Indian subcontinent or mix with those.

But I have no idea how it will be implemented. There are 7 flights arriving in CDG from QR, TK, EK, EY, plus several other targeted nonstops (say AF from India), plus many pax transiting in Europe.
I already see the mess it must be at 2E arrival with all those antigen tests to be conducted...
MoonJ likes this.
Old May 15, 21, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of a friend transiting through DOH said arrival was chaotic and 10-day "strict" quarantine order issued.
Anyone with recent experience would be welcome to post.

QR to Paris must be suffering. A colleague refunded his QR tiket and rebooked on SQ (very expensive). I am considering refunding my early June return flight and rebook on LX. I am also worried about pax boarding the flight in DOH and arriving from dangerous countries.
Leadership likes this.
Old May 16, 21, 4:30 am

A friend of a friend transiting through DOH said arrival was chaotic and 10-day "strict" quarantine order issued.
Anyone with recent experience would be welcome to post.

QR to Paris must be suffering. A colleague refunded his QR tiket and rebooked on SQ (very expensive). I am considering refunding my early June return flight and rebook on LX. I am also worried about pax boarding the flight in DOH and arriving from dangerous countries.
As said in the other thread, I'll be arriving at CDG from DOH so will let you know. It is strange though as there's many Asian/African countries (Like Maldives) who are not on the red list and now have to go through the same restrictions, purely cause they transit in Qatar which is not Covid infested itself at all. Also, if people would reschedule to AMS and then take a AF flight to CDG this would already be bypassed.

Pretty curious what they will do once I arrive. I am a transit passenger however on a separate ticket and have to pick up my baggage and check in again. Might have to pass the transit border control to schengen-airside and then go out, pick up my suitcase and check in again to avoid any chaotic confusion at the border control.
Leadership likes this.
Old May 16, 21, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club

transiting in Europe.
I can understand the logic - our flight from DOH-SEA was very full of passengers of indian descent - I don't know the origin, but I saw several passports from India. The lady across the aisle had one of the worst productive coughs I've ever heard - hawking, spitting, coughing, trying to clear her airway for at least 4 hrs of the 14 hr flight. We moved to the opposite side of the cabin, but few seats were open. The FA spoke to her at my request - the passenger said it was allergies....I've been practicing medicine since 1991 and have never heard allergies like that before.
MSPeconomist and MsEllie like this.
Old May 16, 21, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MoonJ View Post
As said in the other thread, I'll be arriving at CDG from DOH so will let you know. It is strange though as there's many Asian/African countries (Like Maldives) who are not on the red list and now have to go through the same restrictions, purely cause they transit in Qatar which is not Covid infested itself at all. Also, if people would reschedule to AMS and then take a AF flight to CDG this would already be bypassed.

Pretty curious what they will do once I arrive. I am a transit passenger however on a separate ticket and have to pick up my baggage and check in again. Might have to pass the transit border control to schengen-airside and then go out, pick up my suitcase and check in again to avoid any chaotic confusion at the border control.
Please understand that I am just trying to help. And I am also in a fairly difficult position regarding my travet..

It seems to me that your transfer in CDG will not be easy.
If you need to reclaim your luggage and enter France and recheck, you will not be treated as a transit pax.
At boarding QR, they have to verify that you have all necessary document for entry in France. The list of who can enter from Qatar is highly restrictive:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel
Possibly, the QR agent will accept that you are just transiting in France by showing the CDG-XXX ticket, possibly not.

At CDG:They will check your PCR test (taken 36h before departure) which gives indication of where you originate, your certificate of travel and you will have to take an antigenic test and wait for the result. and issue you with a quarantine order. I guess that you can talk your way through that quarantine with your onward ticket. This is France, so all depends on the agent you interact with.
If you travel HBO, the transit could be much simpler, but not sure.

The logic is that you are going to interact with pax from dangerous countries at DOH and on your flight from DOH.That is why all 4 ME airlines transporting pax from dangerous countries through their hub are on the list. UK adopted the same policy PLUS even banned those flights.

Of course, there can always be loopholes. If you travel from AMS, you are always open to a random check like here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33241479-post1199.html

Good luck
MoonJ likes this.
Old May 17, 21, 5:48 am

Please understand that I am just trying to help. And I am also in a fairly difficult position regarding my travet..

If you need to reclaim your luggage and enter France and recheck, you will not be treated as a transit pax.
At boarding QR, they have to verify that you have all necessary document for entry in France. The list of who can enter from Qatar is highly restrictive:
Possibly, the QR agent will accept that you are just transiting in France by showing the CDG-XXX ticket, possibly not.

At CDG:They will check your PCR test (taken 36h before departure) which gives indication of where you originate, your certificate of travel and you will have to take an antigenic test and wait for the result. and issue you with a quarantine order. I guess that you can talk your way through that quarantine with your onward ticket. This is France, so all depends on the agent you interact with.

The logic is that you are going to interact with pax from dangerous countries at DOH and on your flight from DOH.That is why all 4 ME airlines transporting pax from dangerous countries through their hub are on the list. UK adopted the same policy PLUS even banned those flights.

Of course, there can always be loopholes. If you travel from AMS, you are always open to a random check like here:

Good luck
Hi brunos,

This is (thankfully) not correct, I just got the confirmation from two different (and knowledgeable) QR staffs working in France that the more restrictive measures do not apply to transit pax, even if they transited in DOH (or DXB,AUH,IST).
On arrival at CDG, passengers must keep their first boarding pass stating that they are not arriving from a red list country, for example, you need to keep and show your MLE-DOH BP to french police to be exempted from the 10 days quarantine and antigen test. It also means that your PCR could be from less than 72hrs iso 36hrs.

There is a specific Note 20210514 written by the Prefet de Police which give all the details, drop me a PM if you wish to have it.
Old May 18, 21, 6:36 am

Good luck
Hi Brunos,

I do of course understand you are only trying me to help, which I of course appreciate greatly. It's great to have a second set of eyes on the itinerary. To be honest, I am having the mindset I'll see what happens and if I'm not able to pick up my bag, I lose maybe worth 100 euros of swimming pants and t-shirts. It's a risk I am willing to take. However, as my understanding from QR staff as well (see screenshot) I will be seen as someone coming from not a 'red list' country at check-in by Qatar also. However I do have to admit that Leadership is making me feel much more safe now, haha.

Leadership I'm going to send you a PM in a bit, would love to see that note indeed!
brunos likes this.
Old Jun 4, 21, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of 9 June, France has removed Qatar (and UAE) from their red list.
Furthermore ,France has greatly relaxed its entry policy for vaccinated people.
Provided that they have the usual travel documents, even (vaccinated) tourists can enter France with just a 72h PCR or 48 antigen test if they come from an orange country, and even no test is they come from a green country.
Entry from a red country (16 countries) is still restricted to a compelling reason.

Accepted vaccines are those recognized by the European Medical Agency, so only Pfizer-BioNTech, Astra Zaneca, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, so far.

Document in Frenchno English version yet).
https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...eres_20h40.pdf
Leadership likes this.
Old Jun 11, 21, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrived in CDG on QR this morning.

I had the same experience as MoonJ a few days ago. For some reasons, France is still singling QR flights for screening. Meaning pax are directed to a special lane Tunnel) where documents will be checked and forced to take antigen test. It can take hours. They seem to ignore that Qatar is now an Amber (orange) country.

If you arrive from another amber/green country (say Hong Kong or Australia), you can theoretically skip that "tunnel" by asking the orange health staff that direct pax. Two of the ladies had no idea, but finally the supervisor agreed. Basically we went through the sign stating "transfer" and also used by pax arriving from other flights to go to the baggage delivery area. Then you clear police (all they asked was my PCR test). Then you go to the belt. I advise you to go to the nearby belt and then freely walk to your bag belt. Belts at Terminal 2E are either 40 to 43 or 30 to 33. For example, if your belt is 42,walk to 41.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: