Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Award ticket with a 2nd revenue ticket to shorten layover in DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help answer my question.

I'm looking at booking an award ticket with American from ORD-DOH-DXB. For the date I'm booking they only have a 8 hour layover in Doha available. Qatar has a flight from DOH-DXB that leaves two hours after my Chicago arrival. I would like to book the mile ticket to DXB but then a 2nd, revenue, one way ticket from DOH-DXB so I have a short layover. My friend (who has a revenue ticket on that shorter routing) would check our bags so I would only have a carry on bookbag. Would this cause any problems with getting into DXB if they see I'm listed on two separate flights into their country?

Thanks again for the help!
Old May 6, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by jetboy787
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at booking an award ticket with American from ORD-DOH-DXB. For the date I'm booking they only have a 8 hour layover in Doha available. Qatar has a flight from DOH-DXB that leaves two hours after my Chicago arrival. I would like to book the mile ticket to DXB but then a 2nd, revenue, one way ticket from DOH-DXB so I have a short layover. My friend (who has a revenue ticket on that shorter routing) would check our bags so I would only have a carry on bookbag. Would this cause any problems with getting into DXB if they see I'm listed on two separate flights into their country?

This is slightly confusing.
You want to book an award ticket via AA for ORD-DOH-DXB with an 8 hour layover at DOH.
You want to take an earlier DOH-DXB leg so you want to book a revenue ticket but the original award ticket still exists.

This should be possible HBO if OLCI works for the revenue DOH-DXB ticket and the award ticket will be cancelled after a no-show.

Where does your friend come into this?
Old May 6, 2021, 9:01 pm

Er, nm in light of brunos post...

Last edited by crackjack; May 7, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Old May 6, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by jetboy787
Hey Everyone,

Are you not booking the award just to DOH because of the Qatar entry requirements?
Old May 7, 2021, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My understanding is that both, you and your friend, will travel from Chicago on the same QR flight and your friend will check your bag using his/her ticket.
If so, I believe that you will be fine, provided that you can OLCI the revenue DOH-DXB ticket. I don't see why you would have problem arriving in DXB. I would suggest that you don't use your AA number for the short booking.If you cannot OLCI, you might be in some trouble doing it at DOH. The agent might ask you how you got to DOH. I am not sure that you are doing anything illegal though.

But that will work only if this is not a return ORD-DXB-ORD award. Otherwise your return ticket will be cancelled.

What would not be possible is to check your bag only to DOH if your friend does not travel with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.