Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is business class worth adding 4+ flying hours SEA-DOH-ATH?

Is business class worth adding 4+ flying hours SEA-DOH-ATH?

Old May 2, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by david55
Definitely still there as of this morning ( May 2nd) . $2500US RT SEA-ATH Premium.
Those are the "Business Classic" fares (Booking Class R) and do not include assigned seats and Lounge access. If you have any layover at all and want lounge access in DOH, it will be just under $100 each for 6 hours of lounge access, each way. If you want to get assigned to specific seats, there will be a charge for that as well and the seat charges are per flight. This could add significantly to the total trip costs as there could be 4 lounge charges and 4 seat assignemnt charges for your party for the entire trip.

If you upgrade to "Business Comfort" (Booking Class I), it will be about $2870. IMO it is a better value for you, assuming you will want lounge access and/or specific seats.

My wife and I are in your age group and we understand your perspective on long haul travel and the advantage of stopovers to break up a trip. We often do this, especially when we have to take multiple >10 flights to get to a destination.

If Qatar is open to visitors when you go, a bit of a stopover would have two advantages. First you would get time off the airplane, out of the airport and go into town. Also you could book on a DOH-ATH flight that has a real business class seat. Your shortest (< 3 hour) connection at DOH is on an A320 between DOH and ATH and could be the equivalent of a US domestic first class seat. Perfectly comfortable for a short flight. Currently the DOH-ATH flights you would likely get on longer connections include the 787 and A350.

If Qatar is not open to visitors when you go and you book a longer connection, you would have to stay at the airport and possibly book the airside hotel. This is not as good as getting out of the airport and into town, but still gets you a bit of a break in the travel.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Those are the "Business Classic" fares (Booking Class R) and do not include assigned seats and Lounge access. If you have any layover at all and want lounge access in DOH, it will be just under $100 each for 6 hours of lounge access, each way. If you want to get assigned to specific seats, there will be a charge for that as well and the seat charges are per flight. This could add significantly to the total trip costs as there could be 4 lounge charges and 4 seat assignemnt charges for your party for the entire trip.

If you upgrade to "Business Comfort" (Booking Class I), it will be about $2870. IMO it is a better value for you, assuming you will want lounge access and/or specific seats.
That is an important distinction to note.

As well, critical to carefully review the QR lounge access wiki post. I am Oneworld Emerald and have full seat picking and lounge privileges that come along with that status when booking the Business Classic (lowest cost) bucket. If you have status, enter your Alaska or AA program number when you purchase the QR ticket or add it later and it automatically unlocks seat selection on the QR site. When you go to the lounge they also immediately see the status and grant access.

Most every flight I take on QR it is recognized and mentioned by my flight attendant (Wow you must fly a lot! Emerald!"), I've never had another carrier recognize my alliance status (top on all three) like QR does. Yet another reason I fly with them whenever it make even remote sense. Bottom line: if you have OW status you don't need to pay-up for next level ticket.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo

As well, critical to carefully review the QR lounge access wiki post. I am Oneworld Emerald and have full seat picking and lounge privileges that come along with that status when booking the Business Classic (lowest cost) bucket. If you have status, enter your Alaska or AA program number when you purchase the QR ticket or add it later and it automatically unlocks seat selection on the QR site. When you go to the lounge they also immediately see the status and grant access.

Most every flight I take on QR it is recognized and mentioned by my flight attendant (Wow you must fly a lot! Emerald!"), I've never had another carrier recognize my alliance status (top on all three) like QR does. Yet another reason I fly with them whenever it make even remote sense. Bottom line: if you have OW status you don't need to pay-up for next level ticket.
I am a leisure travelling septuagenarian (along with the OP). I strongly suspect he does not have status. Status becomes less important as your number of trips annually falls to 2 or 3
Old May 2, 2021, 9:13 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am a leisure travelling septuagenarian (along with the OP). I strongly suspect he does not have status. Status becomes less important as your number of trips annually falls to 2 or 3
No status except what comes with my Amex Plat.

You all have been most helpful and kind with your responses. Thank you.

May I ask for one other opinion. I don't mind paying a bit more for my ticket for lounge access. There are two flights from ATH to DOH. One that leaves at 1:10AM and gives us 2 hours connection at DOH before our Seattle flight....the other at 7:25 PM that would give me close to 8 hours of connection time. Assuming our ticket gives us access to the the Al Mourjan lounge.... is it worth taking the earlier flight for the lounge experience....knowing that we will never have this opportunity again?
Old May 2, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

My wife and I are in your age group and we understand your perspective on long haul travel and the advantage of stopovers to break up a trip. We often do this, especially when we have to take multiple >10 flights to get to a destination.

If Qatar is open to visitors when you go, a bit of a stopover would have two advantages. First you would get time off the airplane, out of the airport and go into town. Also you could book on a DOH-ATH flight that has a real business class seat. Your shortest (< 3 hour) connection at DOH is on an A320 between DOH and ATH and could be the equivalent of a US domestic first class seat. Perfectly comfortable for a short flight. Currently the DOH-ATH flights you would likely get on longer connections include the 787 and A350.

If Qatar is not open to visitors when you go and you book a longer connection, you would have to stay at the airport and possibly book the airside hotel. This is not as good as getting out of the airport and into town, but still gets you a bit of a break in the travel.
Probably a good suggestion but even if Doha is open be careful about the temp - I read someone who regretted doing this b/c the temp was 40 C - I know that would have done me in!

Does Sapphire get any privilege?

No status except what comes with my Amex Plat.

You all have been most helpful and kind with your responses. Thank you.

May I ask for one other opinion. I don't mind paying a bit more for my ticket for lounge access. There are two flights from ATH to DOH. One that leaves at 1:10AM and gives us 2 hours connection at DOH before our Seattle flight....the other at 7:25 PM that would give me close to 8 hours of connection time. Assuming our ticket gives us access to the the Al Mourjan lounge.... is it worth taking the earlier flight for the lounge experience....knowing that we will never have this opportunity again?
I think the lounge is worth it. There are rest areas with lounge type chairs where u can rest - not a private room or lay flat but pretty comfortable. A large selection of food (and champagne if that matters - but u have to ask it is not on display - maybe b/c of Ramadan, didn't ask about other alcohol)
Old May 2, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)

Only premium tickets with lounge access allow access to premium lounges, so you won't be allowed into the QR operated lounge network outside of Doha and also not into both Al Mourjan and Al Safwa when normal rules apply again, with a Buisness Classic ticket.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Does Sapphire get any privilege?
Yes, the standard OW Sapphire benefits apply.
Aka you'll have seat selection and access to a non-premium lounge on all tickets.
estnet likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by realgaga
Yes, the standard OW Sapphire benefits apply.
Aka you'll have seat selection and access to a non-premium lounge on all tickets.
Thanks you may have saved me some money b/c I hadn't thought of that and if I buy the ticket I would have paid higher price for lounge and seat!
Old May 2, 2021, 12:29 pm

You can book your trip with layovers around 2 hours on both the outbound and return legs. Paying a lot of money for lounge access (almost $400 for both you and your spouse) seems a waste. Especially if you find the seats available at check in acceptable. This save about $750 if you take the Business Classic fare. If you book longer layovers, you can experience Doha, break up your trip and have plenty of lounge time. If you and your spouse prefer the two middle QSuites for an intimate travel experience or both prefer the rear facing window seat for maximum privacy then maybe the Business Comfort fares are the better value for you.

I view the trip as part of the vacation/travel experience and I am willing to spend a bit more. I also enjoy seeing places I've never seen before and value new experiences very highly. But that is a personal perspective.

Originally Posted by estnet
Probably a good suggestion but even if Doha is open be careful about the temp - I read someone who regretted doing this b/c the temp was 40 C - I know that would have done me in!
Understood. I've spent several months earlier in my life in the Middle East and the heat can be oppressive. I would only spend time outdoors in the evening and for limited amounts of time.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input.

FWIW.... My spouse ( another male) and I have no interest in exploring Doha. We are only looking for the most comfortable flight and airport experience we can afford in getting to Greece (and back). Everything I am reading says this once in a lifetime flight on Qatar would be such an experience. And I am one of those traveler's that waiting until check-in for a seat assignment causes too much anxiety so I am already into a higher level of Comfort Premium.

Now if only the good fares in Business class last until our dates open up.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:46 pm

No airline lounge is worth an 8 hour stopover (OK, maybe Al Safwa if you get a private room) is worth an 8 hour transit IMO. We've all done it once but I for one wouldn't do it again.
florin likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
No airline lounge is worth an 8 hour stopover (OK, maybe Al Safwa if you get a private room) is worth an 8 hour transit IMO. We've all done it once but I for one wouldn't do it again.
I also just read a review that the Business Class Lounge is SLAMMED during the late night/ early morning hours due to a lot of arriving and connecting flights. That would be the exact time we would be arriving with that 8 hour connection. The review I read suggested paying the $150+ to experience a practically empty Al Safwa.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:21 pm

I also just read a review that the Business Class Lounge is SLAMMED during the late night/ early morning hours due to a lot of arriving and connecting flights. That would be the exact time we would be arriving with that 8 hour connection. The review I read suggested paying the $150+ to experience a practically empty Al Safwa.
The Business Class Lounge is the crappy status lounge, different from Al Mourjan.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by realgaga
The Business Class Lounge is the crappy status lounge, different from Al Mourjan.
Actually that was the lounge mentioned.... (see below) ...I just couldn't remember the name so I called it " The Business Class Lounge".

If at all possible, it's best to try and avoid connections which put you in Doha between 11PM-230AM, as this is when the Qatar Al Mourjan lounge tends to be rammed. If of course you book an 'R' fare with Qatar Airways, lounge access is separate anyway, so a short connection might not hurt.

If you do find yourself there during these hours, travellers on paid business class tickets can upgrade to Al Safwa First Class lounge access for 600QAR, which is about $150USD. It's an awful lot of money, when there's another lounge available, but if you need a shower, a nap room or an incredible wine bar, this could easily be justified.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You are reasoning as if covid will be gone by Spring 2022 and airlines resume a full schedule.
The covid situation might improve, but there will not be a pre-covid full schedule and flights scheduled for 2022 are placeholders. Many won't fly.

Whatever you book now, be ready for change of plans.
SEA is currently not served by QR, whether it will fly in 10 months time is questionable. Be ready for a routing change.
Same for other airlines.

QR has been the most reliable airline for longhaul travel. But I would suggest that you reach a decision looking also at the uncertainty.
For example, what king of booking could you get if you were flying this month?
I hope to be wrong, but better to consider all situations.

Last edited by brunos; May 2, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.