Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT INFO: Qatar Airways Denying Boarding to transit pax from select countries

URGENT INFO: Qatar Airways Denying Boarding to transit pax from select countries

Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Again: PCR test required even when only transiting in Doha, eg from Sri Lanka

Since yesterday this new rule has apparently been introduced even for transit passangers:

"Effective 29 April 2021, passengers arriving or transiting in Qatar who have been in or transited through India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines need to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to their scheduled departure time from these countries. " (from QR website)

The time frame of 48 hours before departure is extremly tight and I am being told that this will not be possible in Sri Lanka (to get the result in time). Does anybody have advice how to solve this in Sri Lanka? I will probably have to change our flight to Emirates if this rule remains for QR/Doha.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
I'm going to provide a detailed update shortly. My partner and almost everyone else flying from MNL tonight is currently being denied boarding due to this sudden rule change. I'll probably make a new thread...
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow what a frustrating experience! While I'm not sure this qualifies as an IDB, it is certainly some very poor service recovery based on an unanticipated and uncommunicated change in transit requirements. What is perhaps most disturbing is the suspicion that a significantly lower level of accommodation is being provided based on the country of origin.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Qatar Airways is not responsible for the changes of entry/transit requirements.
This is not Qatar Airways' decision and they must adhere what the government tells them to do so. In this case the State of Qatar has implemented a COVID test rule, not Qatar Airways.

There was another passenger who was affected by Pakistan changing their COVID test requirement from 96 hours to 72 hours between he was at check-in at the gate and he was at the same situation.

I'm sorry but it looks like your only way to fly would be to lose your upgrade, pay the no-show fee. Although, it's sad but it's the truth that your fiance should have checked the entry/transit requirements for your itinerary regularly and comply with them.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
I don't see why this is a qr problem, your fiancee should have stayed few days stay in mnl to take the pcr test before starting her international journey.

Living more than a year with covid travel rules iIt pretty much given that every international flight requires a 48 hour pcr test.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I'm sorry but it looks like your only way to fly would be to lose your upgrade, pay the no-show fee. Although, it's sad but it's the truth that your fiance should have checked the entry/transit requirements for your itinerary regularly and comply with them.
Except we did. I've even made a video to prove it. If you go to the Qatar Airways home page, or via Manage My Booking, it links you to their Travel Requirements page. If you then enter MNL as the origin and LHR as the destination, the travel advice given DOES NOT mention the new 48-hour PCR rule for transit in Doha. The ONLY way to see that rule is if you enter DOH as the destination (which it's not, it's just a transfer point, and Qatar Airways know that since most pax are transfer pax). There is NO other information anywhere on there website regarding this. Qatar Airways have no legal recourse in defending their current position based on the information they've provided to travellers.
nk15, ewoo and MoonJ like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ovacikar
I don't see why this is a qr problem, your fiancee should have stayed few days stay in mnl to take the pcr test before starting her international journey.

Living more than a year with covid travel rules iIt pretty much given that every international flight requires a 48 hour pcr test.
​​​​​​
The requirement for the UK is 72 hours. There was no other requirement for any part of her trip in the 48 hours before travelling. This new rule was quietly implemented 46 hours before her flight departure time.

Also, Manila is a Covid hotspot, it's far safer staying in her town near Tacloban before the flight and spending as little time in Manila as possible.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
The requirement for the UK is 72 hours. There was no other requirement for any part of her trip in the 48 hours before travelling. This new rule was quietly implemented 46 hours before her flight departure time.

Also, Manila is a Covid hotspot, it's far safer staying in her town near Tacloban before the flight and spending as little time in Manila as possible.
I see the changes were announced on april 27th, including transit passengers. Not on 29th.
https://www.thedailystar.net/travel/...ntries-2084629
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ovacikar
I see the changes were announced on april 27th, including transit passengers. Not on 30th.
https://www.thedailystar.net/travel/...ntries-2084629
But that information has not been provided to Qatar Airways passengers. Most people are not reading Qatar's Ministry of Health website. They expect the national airline to convey this information. As I said, the majority of passengers on her flight were in the same situation for the same reason.
If I, a frequent-flyer with Qatar for over a decade, cannot easily ascertain this information from their own site, then there's little hope for the average flyer. It is the airline's responsibility to list all important travel information, and they have not.

In contrast, I went on Singapore Airlines website, and was able to easily find all transit requirements within two minutes. They even link to a full list of all approved PCR testing facilities in every country they serve. That is how information provision should be done.
Deckter, ewoo and MoonJ like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
But that information has not been provided to Qatar Airways passengers. Most people are not reading Qatar's Ministry of Health website. They expect the national airline to convey this information. As I said, the majority of passengers on her flight were in the same situation for the same reason.
If I, a frequent-flyer with Qatar for over a decade, cannot easily ascertain this information from their own site, then there's little hope for the average flyer. It is the airline's responsibility to list all important travel information, and they have not.
It is on qatarairways.com -> Covid-19 Update -> Entry into Qatar.

It is NOT the airline's responsibility to notify the passenger of their entry and document requirements. It is the passenger's. QR's online entry requirements is offered as a courtesy, it is not a right of a passenger to be able to use such a tool.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It is the airline's responsibility to list all important travel information, and they have not.
No, border requirement changes are not in scope of the responsibility of the airline.

Plus, the entry requirements tool on the QR website is for view purposes only.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
It is on qatarairways.com -> Covid-19 Update -> Entry into Qatar.

It is NOT the airline's responsibility to notify the passenger of their entry and document requirements. It is the passenger's. QR's online entry requirements is offered as a courtesy, it is not a right of a passenger to be able to use such a tool.
She's not entering into Qatar. She's transiting through Qatar.
MSPeconomist and ewoo like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:10 pm

She's not entering into Qatar. She's transiting through Qatar.
I am merely stating the fact that it is on Qatar Airways' website.

I am not the person who decides the design and layout of the webpage.
Cat88L3 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
I am merely stating the fact that it is on Qatar Airways' website.

I am not the person who decides the design and layout of the webpage.
Except it's not in the relevant place. I checked the most relevant place: Manage My Booking. Clicking through and entering origin and destination does not provide any information on transit restrictions.

Here's the Qatar Ministry of Health Covid Page. Nothing obvious there either.
https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/Pages...l-Policyy.aspx
https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/Preca...s/default.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:36 pm

Except it's not in the relevant place. I checked the most relevant place: Manage My Booking. Clicking through and entering origin and destination does not provide any information on transit restrictions.

Here's the Qatar Ministry of Health Covid Page. Nothing obvious there either.
https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/Pages...l-Policyy.aspx
https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/Preca...s/default.aspx
Manage My Booking is for... as the name suggests, managing the ticket booking (shocker!), not checking entry requirements.

The update is on the 'latest news' part of MOPH's website's home page
https://www.moph.gov.qa/english/medi...spx?ItemId=369

I do understand it isn't the most obvious. Despite this, even QR's unreliable entry requirements tool states:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.