DEL-DOH flights cancelled ?

Old Apr 19, 21, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
DEL-DOH flights cancelled ?

I am in CCU right now. I arrived in India last week through DEL on QR from SFO.

I have a return flight on 6th may from DEL. I looked at moving up my dates, but Qatar is no longer showing any flights from DEL. I called their call center and was told they don't if flights are cancelled or not. They said if they, they will do nothing but refund the unused portion of my ticket. The Gov't of India/Qatar have not cancelled any of their bubble arrangements.

Is this true that they can just cancel and not be forced to rebook me ?

As of now, they do see availability on CCU-DOH-SFO on May 2nd, which I am willing to take, but I would have to pay for a higher fare class and even that flight might be cancelled. I was told the CCU flight is often cancelled due to light loads.

What is my recourse here ?

Is there anyone else I should talk to ? Did I just get a bad agent on the phone ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 19, 21, 8:03 am

That's weird as for May 6 QR's website allows me to book DEL-DOH and DOH-SFO as two separate segments using multi-city option. Somehow doesn't allow me to book when selecting DEL-SFO.

Interestingly website does allow me to book MAA/BLR/BOM-SFO using one-way option (not multi-city).

Suggest HUCA and refer agent to website which shows flights available to book.

However important to note that official travel bubble rules don't allow transit via DOH to USA.
Old Apr 19, 21, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
some more discussion here:
Qatar flying out of India?

QR579 DEL-DOH has been flying daily regularly and is scheduled daily in May.
My understanding is that QR is not allowed to sell tickets from India to USA.under its air bubble.
It will allow ticketed passengers to fly India-US, but will not sell anymore tickets.
If you go the airport DEL on 6 May you will be able to board, according to current situation; but it could change.
I assume that your booking still shows as confirmed on the QR website.

If you want to change the date or origin, then this is a voluntary change and you are liable for a fare difference.

Unfortunately, many agents at the call center are not aware of the complex situation in each country. And that does not explain with CCU-SFO is still bookable; an oddity.
Old Apr 19, 21, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
some more discussion here:
It will allow ticketed passengers to fly India-US, but will not sell anymore tickets.
Except QR website does allow to book and ticket MAA/BLR/BOM-SFO.
Old Apr 19, 21, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
Except QR website does allow to book and ticket MAA/BLR/BOM-SFO.
Indeed, and you can add CCU-SFO as mentioned above.
But the regulation is clear, QR can only fly pax to Qatar, Africa and SOuth America:
https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...%20Oman%20only.

It could be that QR gets carefully checked in DEL and not other airports. Who knows?
ANyway, it seems that OP could change to CCU, but he must pay the fare difference on this voluntary change as his flight is not cancelled.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone.

I can change to CCU, and pay about US$2.5k, but I am a bit hesitant to do it right now. I have heard (anecdotally) that the CCU flight is often cancelled due to low loads at the last minute with no notice.

The agent could not even book on an earlier date DEL-DOH-SFO from 5/2-5/5. This is what concerns me. I tried searching for availability SFO-DEL and DEL-SFO making dummy bookings, and it no longer shows up in early May (It does later on in the month).

I have this uneasy feeling that something is about to happen..

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Old Apr 21, 21, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Update: DEL-DOH and vv no longer showing in their system. Same with CCU-DOH.

I was able to switch to BOM-DOH-SFO.

This is not looking good. They have told me that if BOM-DOH cancelled, then all they can do is: 1. give me a refund 2. rebook me for a later date when flights start again.

Lesson learned - avoid QR. I will only take UA going forward.
Old Apr 22, 21, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
With the insurgence of Covid in India, many countries and restricting/banning travel and flights from that country (UK, US, UAE, etc.).
Old Apr 23, 21, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not looking good. They have told me that if BOM-DOH cancelled, then all they can do is: 1. give me a refund 2. rebook me for a later date when flights start again.

Airlines have to follow restrictions imposed by countries.
QR is not allowed by India to fly pax from India to USA. It could well be that the US prompted that restriction. They have tried to loophole the restrictions, but with the current covid explosion in India, flights are getting rare.

Even UA is cancelling all its flights from India, starting today. Unknown when flights will resume.

Complain about the situation in India, not QR.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 24, 21 at 6:54 am
Old Apr 23, 21, 6:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, TK Elite (*G)

Everyone is starting to ban flights from India. If you are allowed to enter Nepal, flights from KTM are operating normally.
Old Apr 29, 21, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Airlines have to follow restrictions imposed by countries.
QR is not allowed by India to fly pax from India to USA. It could well be that the US prompted that restriction. They have tried to loophole the restrictions, but with the current covid explosion in India, flights are getting rare.

Even UA is cancelling all its flights from India, starting today. Unknown when flights will resume.

Complain about the situation in India, not QR.
Then why does QR sell tickets BOM--DOH-SFO but not originating from DEL/CCU even though flights are operating

they wouldnt even let me move up my DEL-DOH-SFO flight by a week, though they sold me the ticket a month ago

Of course India is to be blamed for their colossal mismanagement of Covid, but why wouldn't QR let ticketed pax leave earlier if seats are available ?

The worst part is there is no transparency with QR The agent on the phone wouldn't even tell me if flights had operated from DEL/CCU earlier in the week, saying only airport ops would know

I had to look up on flightaware if flights were indeed operating

This is something other posters have often mentioned

When things go well, QR is fantastic

When things go sideways, not so much

and of course UA cancelled flights for a few days for other reasons, not due to rising cases in India

I was able to leave on 4/28 via BOM, but it would have been reassuring to have reliable info from QR's phone agents

Search this Thread
Search Engine: