Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

COVID test required for transit passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID test required for transit passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Why do you need a negative test if you're just transiting? Didn't they just say above to transit, you don't need a negative PCR test and only follow the guidelines of your destination country? Or are you getting off in Doha and if you did that, did you tell the check-in staff?
it’s a three part thing:

departure covid test — some countries (like AUH) require it.

transit covid test — some countries require it, but DOH / QR specifically doesn’t.

arrival covid test — some countries require it; other countries are okay with a proof of vaccination.

Of course this info is subject to change every day, so I recommend you to triple check (with the airline, airport, and specific health authorities) before flying.
seanp7 and ptalegui like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress
it’s a three part thing:

departure covid test — some countries (like AUH) require it.

transit covid test — some countries require it, but DOH / QR specifically doesn’t.

arrival covid test — some countries require it; other countries are okay with a proof of vaccination.

Of course this info is subject to change every day, so I recommend you to triple check (with the airline, airport, and specific health authorities) before flying.
I recommend doing what I’m doing- just get a negative PCR test the day before your flight that you can show, and have on your person in case something arises. Especially in these uncertain times it can never be a bad idea since transit and arrival requirements are changing every day.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Hi could someone help me :

If I fly from dxb-doh-bru (Belgian resident & fully vaccinated) , do I need a pcr test from dubai?
Seem to be getting conflicting answers each time I ask around.
As per my guess I do not need a test from dubai.

TIA
Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Hi could someone help me :

If I fly from dxb-doh-bru (Belgian resident & fully vaccinated) , do I need a pcr test from dubai?
Seem to be getting conflicting answers each time I ask around.
As per my guess I do not need a test from dubai.

TIA
Why not just get a negative PCR test to be safe the day before you fly?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Why not just get a negative PCR test to be safe the day before you fly?
Because it's not needed... diamantaire I suggest you have a look here for the requirements, but doesn't look like it's needed:

https://www.traveldoc.aero/

Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Because it's not needed... diamantaire I suggest you have a look here for the requirements, but doesn't look like it's needed:

https://www.traveldoc.aero/

and if you run into a situation where it is needed? Why not just have it on you? It’s not expensive to get
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you are a Belgian national and your permanent adres is in Belgium you do not need a pcr test to enter Belgium. (like me fully vax.) Why take the risk of taking a test in whatever place with the risk of being stranded . For the Belgian readers here all info at info .coronavirus.be
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm flying MAD-DOH-AUH; with 2 different tickets. I have 8 hours to wait before my DOH-AUH flight. I understand I don't need to show a negative PCR test if I am transiting, and I don't leave the airport.

From what I can tell, I will need a negative PCR test to enter AUH. Because I am on separate tickets, will there be any issue trying to board MAD-DOH as I don't intend to fill out the form DOH health entry form? The latest info from Qatari MoH indicates forms must be filled in 72 hrs prior to arrival, which creates a COVID testing logistical issue for me. Add to the madness is AUH requirement of test result within 48 hours, effectively meaning a very little window of time to actually get the test result.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Oct 14, 2021 at 10:01 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm flying MAD-DOH-AUH; with 2 different tickets. I have 8 hours to wait before my DOH-AUH flight. I understand I don't need to show a negative PCR test if I am transiting, and I don't leave the airport.

From what I can tell, I will need a negative PCR test to enter AUH. Because I am on separate tickets, will there be any issue trying to board MAD-DOH as I don't intend to fill out the form DOH health entry form? The latest info from Qatari MoH indicates forms must be filled in 72 hrs prior to arrival, which creates a COVID testing logistical issue for me. Add to the madness is AUH requirement of test result within 48 hours, effectively meaning a very little window of time to actually get the test result.

Just an "English" slip up. Its not must be filled in 72 hours prior; its should be WITHIN 72 hours of arrival and not less than 12 hours before. My specific question is about the 72 hour PCR testing; they say 72 hours before arrival. But is it really 72 hours before getting on your flight? If you're doing a long USA - DOH flight, timing that PCR test could be tricky?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Just an "English" slip up. Its not must be filled in 72 hours prior; its should be WITHIN 72 hours of arrival and not less than 12 hours before. My specific question is about the 72 hour PCR testing; they say 72 hours before arrival. But is it really 72 hours before getting on your flight? If you're doing a long USA - DOH flight, timing that PCR test could be tricky?
I am hoping it is a language slip up. The original version of the website indicated no more than 72 hours before, and no less than 12 hours before the flight. The new version that went into effect October 6, the language now only says 72 hours before. Hopefully that means actually less than 12 hours is OK.

https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...s/default.aspx

Re. your question, I interpret as 72 hours prior to your arrival into DOH, and not when you start the journey. So a potentially 24 hour flight (very possible with connecting flights from the opposite side of the world), would require a test to be done around 1 to 1.5 days before; as most of the PCR testing appears to take a day or so (to be on the safe side). So that's already 48 hours.

It is causing some logistical considerations, especially for people like me who piecemealed their itinerary together from different award flights and carriers.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I am hoping it is a language slip up. The original version of the website indicated no more than 72 hours before, and no less than 12 hours before the flight. The new version that went into effect October 6, the language now only says 72 hours before. Hopefully that means actually less than 12 hours is OK.

https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...s/default.aspx

Re. your question, I interpret as 72 hours prior to your arrival into DOH, and not when you start the journey. So a potentially 24 hour flight (very possible with connecting flights from the opposite side of the world), would require a test to be done around 1 to 1.5 days before; as most of the PCR testing appears to take a day or so (to be on the safe side). So that's already 48 hours.

It is causing some logistical considerations, especially for people like me who piecemealed their itinerary together from different award flights and carriers.
I would have a hard time believing that its within 72 hours of arrival time. Check-in agents would have to do some serious math to calculate when exactly the test was administered in local time and convert that to qatar time? What if you have a 2hr delay and you arrive in qatar just after the 72 hr cut off? Immigration doesn't let you in?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
I would have a hard time believing that its within 72 hours of arrival time. Check-in agents would have to do some serious math to calculate when exactly the test was administered in local time and convert that to qatar time? What if you have a 2hr delay and you arrive in qatar just after the 72 hr cut off? Immigration doesn't let you in?
As far as I can tell, almost every country that requires a negative PCR result requires a test that was completed within 72 hour before arrival. Under normal circumstances, that would seem relatively possible unless one has connecting flights prior that had large gaps/layover or very brief stopover.

You can reach out to QR on Twitter and DM them. They were able to respond to my question about the transit question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.