Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:41 pm

Booked AA business class award, was assigned one window and one middle seat.

Went to Royal Jordanian and was able to change to middle seat. Downloaded QR app and it shows that the middle seats are now booked.

I go back to AA website and it still shows my old seats. Will there be any issues?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by aduma
Booked AA business class award, was assigned one window and one middle seat.

Went to Royal Jordanian and was able to change to middle seat. Downloaded QR app and it shows that the middle seats are now booked.

I go back to AA website and it still shows my old seats. Will there be any issues?
None. AA's version of the record doesn't matter for seat assignments, only QR's matters, as they are the operating carrier.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:51 pm

I booked a business class flight with Qatar today, C category ticket. 2 leg flight, both Qsuites, booked via company travel agent. I can log on to the Manage Booking on the Qatar site, but there is no option for seat selection. Should there be? I've not used them since just before the pandemic, so not familiar with their new seat reservation rules.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eein
I booked a business class flight with Qatar today, C category ticket. 2 leg flight, both Qsuites, booked via company travel agent. I can log on to the Manage Booking on the Qatar site, but there is no option for seat selection. Should there be? I've not used them since just before the pandemic, so not familiar with their new seat reservation rules.
Do you have a ticket number starting with 157-
If your ticket isn't issued, you wouldn't be able to select a seat.

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues preventing to select a seat.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
So, I just ran into this. Booked two tickets using AA miles in J. Went to QR.com and it asked to update contact information, but when I did it errored out saying there was an issue with duplicate frequent flyer numbers for both passengers. I could not get past the pop up. I checked RJ.com and it listed our correct AA FF# and a different unknown number for both of us (the same number for both passengers). Finnair.com showed the same issue. I was able to update my contact information on AY.com and that got me into QR.com, but it wouldn't allow seat selection. I am OWE with AA, but it was still showing the extra FF# and no matter how many times i deleted it (across QR, RJ, and AY websites), it still came back and I was not able to select seats on QR.com or AY.com. I was finally able to select seats (middle pair) on RJ.com and they showed on QR.com with the check mark saying they were confirmed.

The QR app only shows the random FF#, so I called AA and QR. AA says they don't see the extra number. The QR agent said the extra FF# is a QR specific number only for their flights and codeshares. He confirmed he sees my real AA FF# and my status should show on the boarding passes. I guess we will find out next year when I fly.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

My experience today:
Had a QR booking, BA 125 ticket with a mixture of BA codeshare (QR operated) and prime QR flight numbers. QR Manage My Booking did not have the option for selecting seats. Called BA Gold line, they weren't able to help. Tried a couple of times via QR's phone lines - "Sorry we can't assign seats due to it being a codeshare, you need to check-in at the airport". Also tried RJ and MH, whilst the seats maps were showing, it kept flagging an error when I was trying to save the seats I wanted.

Tweeted QR, within a couple of hours, response stating preferred seats had been booked! Based on the trend seen in this thread, seems like Twitter might be the best way to go to maximise chances of success!

NB: Booking was originally a BA flight booking but an INVOL cancellation meant I then had the option of free rebooking/rerouting after which I pounced on the option of choosing QR!
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skunker
So, I just ran into this. Booked two tickets using AA miles in J. Went to QR.com and it asked to update contact information, but when I did it errored out saying there was an issue with duplicate frequent flyer numbers for both passengers. I could not get past the pop up. I checked RJ.com and it listed our correct AA FF# and a different unknown number for both of us (the same number for both passengers). Finnair.com showed the same issue. I was able to update my contact information on AY.com and that got me into QR.com, but it wouldn't allow seat selection. I am OWE with AA, but it was still showing the extra FF# and no matter how many times i deleted it (across QR, RJ, and AY websites), it still came back and I was not able to select seats on QR.com or AY.com. I was finally able to select seats (middle pair) on RJ.com and they showed on QR.com with the check mark saying they were confirmed.

The QR app only shows the random FF#, so I called AA and QR. AA says they don't see the extra number. The QR agent said the extra FF# is a QR specific number only for their flights and codeshares. He confirmed he sees my real AA FF# and my status should show on the boarding passes. I guess we will find out next year when I fly.
I had this exact nonsense issue.

QR telling me my contact details don't match. Called AA who confirmed they were what I thought. Call QR again, this time conferencing in AA and AAgent says "Oh my God" when the QR agent continues to argue with me. QR say they don't allow conference calls and terminate the call!

AA agent apologies profusely and says she will update the information with the exact same information and to wait 24 hours.

Within 24 hours I am able to access QR MMB.

As for the duplicate numbers, have AA add in you and your travelling partners' FF numbers. I think QR misreads two FQTR (frequent flyer account from which the redemption was made) as duplicate.

FYI there are up to four FF numbers that can be entered into a booking:
  • FQTS – the frequent flyer program that you have status with
  • FQTV – the frequent flyer program with which you’re accruing points & status credits
  • FQTR – for award/redemption bookings, which frequent flyer program was used to make the booking
  • FQTU – if applicable, the frequent flyer program that points for an upgrade are to be deducted from
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just wondering, is the ticket issued by the OTA?
If not, you need to wait until it's issued.
This seems to be the issue indeed. Was able to select them after ticketing! Thank you..!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Do you have a ticket number starting with 157-
If your ticket isn't issued, you wouldn't be able to select a seat.

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues preventing to select a seat.
I definitely have a 157- ticket number.

I'll need to give them a call.

It might be due to it being nearly full. I have a colleague who had to call them once in the past and was told they stop seat selection when it gets busy on Qsuites so they can ensure multi people groups can sit in the multi zone seats in the middle.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:27 am

I definitely have a 157- ticket number.

I'll need to give them a call.

It might be due to it being nearly full. I have a colleague who had to call them once in the past and was told they stop seat selection when it gets busy on Qsuites so they can ensure multi people groups can sit in the multi zone seats in the middle.
To close the loop on this, I called them (answered immediately with no hold, which was a nice surprise) and they changed the seats with no issues. So still don't know why it is not possible on the website manage booking, but it was fine over the phone.

... maybe this new fangled internet thing has had it's day and we're all going back to telephony.
ISTFlyer and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
To close the loop on this, I called them (answered immediately with no hold, which was a nice surprise) and they changed the seats with no issues. So still don't know why it is not possible on the website manage booking, but it was fine over the phone.

... maybe this new fangled internet thing has had it's day and we're all going back to telephony.
I'm glad that your issue is solved
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:59 pm

solved
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I received the above response from a direct tweet to the Qatar Support team. I responded, repeating that I was OneWorld Emerald and I wondered why they weren't abiding by the benefits that come with it. I also had a successful call with an agent who finally gave me seat assignments. I just received a positive response from the tweet.

I was able to get comp advance Qsuite seat assignments by paraphrasing this tweet back to QR Support Twitter. It took two tweets and each response took about a day. I didn't ask for a seat assignment. I just politely stated that I was OWE and believed that I was entitled to a seat assignment based on their earlier tweets to other OWEs. I have a R fare.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:12 pm

Just an update on this thread - i had two separate bookings made BA.COM with Avios for QR flights, the Qsuites were blocked out (window seats were bookable), anyway I contacted Qatar Airways Support @QRSupport on twitter.
They put my two separate bookings into a Qsuite Quad in about 20mins.
fridgy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:15 pm

Similar update to post above - 2 separate qatar bookings - was able to make quad seat selections easily and fast by calling them, all done within 10 ten minutes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.