Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar insisting my flights are not cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I am in a bit of a dilemma. We have flights to the Seychelles scheduled in June from Chicago (departing Chicago late Saturday evening). On top of that we were scheduled to arrive into Chicago on a separate AA positioning flight very early on Saturday to spend a day with friends there. Our stay in the Seychelles is booked on points.

Qatar's connecting flight from Doha to the Seychelles has been cut drastically. It went from a daily flight on an A330-200 to a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule on a 787-8. If I am to keep our trip, I will need to shift both the outbound and return flights, which in turn will result in having to reschedule our positioning flights by +- 2 days (and rearrange my visit with our friends in Chicago).

I called Qatar to see what my options would be. I would be willing to consider either of the following: (1) keep my same outbound and return days, but switch destinations to the Maldives (yes, it is beyond a 500 mile radius from Seychelles, but I think it is the nearest airport and hopefully Qatar would accommodate as this would allow me to keep my positioning flight as-is) OR (2) change the dates on my flights to Seychelles, but change my originating airport from Chicago to DAY/CVG/CMH (this way I don't have to incur the expense of changing my positioning flight -- which has increased in price from where it was when I booked it). From what I have read on the forums, I am hopeful that one of these options will be offered.

The problem is, Qatar is insisting that my flights are confirmed and there has been no schedule change. The phone agent acknowledged that there likely has been a change, but he could not do anything until I received an official cancellation e-mail. Its been a week since the schedule change went through. How long does this normally take? I will need to cancel my hotel reservations and find new ones, and time is of the essence for me to do so. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will likely receive a cancellation email in due course. Those are issued in reverse order, e.g., flights in the immediate future sooner.

In ordinary times, I would be all over this, but the chances are that anything more than 30 days out is entirely notional anyway. As June is far into the notional period, there is plenty of time and if you rebook today, you will almost certainly have to do so at least 1-2 more times. I do not know, but strongly suggest that these rolling notices are handled artificially in order to prevent call centers from being swamped when massive route changes occur as is common during the pandemic.

In the meantime, I would consider exactly what you want. Presenting options such as you are considering to a front line agent is not likely to yield satisfaction. In order of likelihood:
1. Change dates.
2. Change destination.
3. Reissue origination (this will require QR to cancel and rebook and that will only happen if there is award space on all flights with no guarantee that your existing xORD seats remain in an award bucket.

As to those separate AA tickets, you can always wait to change those and hope that the fare drops. An unfortunate risk of separate tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You will likely receive a cancellation email in due course. Those are issued in reverse order, e.g., flights in the immediate future sooner.

In ordinary times, I would be all over this, but the chances are that anything more than 30 days out is entirely notional anyway. As June is far into the notional period, there is plenty of time and if you rebook today, you will almost certainly have to do so at least 1-2 more times. I do not know, but strongly suggest that these rolling notices are handled artificially in order to prevent call centers from being swamped when massive route changes occur as is common during the pandemic.

In the meantime, I would consider exactly what you want. Presenting options such as you are considering to a front line agent is not likely to yield satisfaction. In order of likelihood:
1. Change dates.
2. Change destination.
3. Reissue origination (this will require QR to cancel and rebook and that will only happen if there is award space on all flights with no guarantee that your existing xORD seats remain in an award bucket.

As to those separate AA tickets, you can always wait to change those and hope that the fare drops. An unfortunate risk of separate tickets.
Thanks. We are on paid business class (R) tickets, so award space availability should not be an issue. I could cancel, get a refund, and just rebook, but I have an unbelievably low fare and prices have increased substantially since I booked.

With respect to the separate AA tickets, I know that AA will protect separate tickets are with a oneworld carrier. But in this case its Qatar making the change, so I am hopeful that Qatar will recognize the misconnect and will agree to protect. The separate tickets are probably the least of my worries, though. Worst case we could drive to Chicago to catch our flights.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I am in a bit of a dilemma. We have flights to the Seychelles scheduled in June from Chicago (departing Chicago late Saturday evening). On top of that we were scheduled to arrive into Chicago on a separate AA positioning flight very early on Saturday to spend a day with friends there. Our stay in the Seychelles is booked on points.

Qatar's connecting flight from Doha to the Seychelles has been cut drastically. It went from a daily flight on an A330-200 to a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule on a 787-8. If I am to keep our trip, I will need to shift both the outbound and return flights, which in turn will result in having to reschedule our positioning flights by +- 2 days (and rearrange my visit with our friends in Chicago).

I called Qatar to see what my options would be. I would be willing to consider either of the following: (1) keep my same outbound and return days, but switch destinations to the Maldives (yes, it is beyond a 500 mile radius from Seychelles, but I think it is the nearest airport and hopefully Qatar would accommodate as this would allow me to keep my positioning flight as-is) OR (2) change the dates on my flights to Seychelles, but change my originating airport from Chicago to DAY/CVG/CMH (this way I don't have to incur the expense of changing my positioning flight -- which has increased in price from where it was when I booked it). From what I have read on the forums, I am hopeful that one of these options will be offered.

The problem is, Qatar is insisting that my flights are confirmed and there has been no schedule change. The phone agent acknowledged that there likely has been a change, but he could not do anything until I received an official cancellation e-mail. Its been a week since the schedule change went through. How long does this normally take? I will need to cancel my hotel reservations and find new ones, and time is of the essence for me to do so. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this.
1- MLE is not the closest QR destination from SEZ; the closest QR destination from SEZ is MGQ ( Mogadishu, Somalia ) so I don't think your request for MLE would be approved unless you are OK to pay a fare difference.

2- It's possible to ask for an AA domestic connection to another city during last-minute IRROPS, I had successful experiences when my flight was interrupted during the 72 hour window before the flight, but it's a very low likelihood that they would honor this for a flight 4 months in advance but it's worth a try.

Also, a notice that AA would only honor protection on separate tickets for the second ticket being 001- stock. For example when you are transferring from AA to QR that protection would not apply but it would apply when transferring from QR to AA.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Interestingly, AA does protect across separate tickets so long as the onwards carrier is OW. But, that is only in IRROPS, not due to schedule changes for an onward carrier. In other words, you fly your AA segment and if it is late and you can;t make your onwards OW ticket, AA will rebook. That is unique to AA and has nothing to do with OW or QR.

Whatever happens with QR, OP will need to eventually change his AA tickets. No change fees, but any fare difference will apply.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
I check my QR bookings every Thursday since it seems that schedule changes are loaded every other Wednesday night or so. Just like I check my AA bookings on Sunday mornings. I too, don't stress about bookings that are more than a month out since equipment and flight changes are so common for all carriers at the moment. I would suggest that you just keep options open and always have a back up plan.

Last edited by DaveInSFV; Feb 19, 2021 at 6:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
1- MLE is not the closest QR destination from SEZ; the closest QR destination from SEZ is MGQ ( Mogadishu, Somalia ) so I don't think your request for MLE would be approved unless you are OK to pay a fare difference.

2- It's possible to ask for an AA domestic connection to another city during last-minute IRROPS, I had successful experiences when my flight was interrupted during the 72 hour window before the flight, but it's a very low likelihood that they would honor this for a flight 4 months in advance but it's worth a try.

Also, a notice that AA would only honor protection on separate tickets for the second ticket being 001- stock. For example when you are transferring from AA to QR that protection would not apply but it would apply when transferring from QR to AA.
Never experienced myself but I do recall data points that indicate protection AA->OW. The title of this misconnect policy specifically indicates both direction. But this policy is for a schedule irregularity, not for a schedule change.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 20, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I pulled up expertflyer, and I was surprised at what I saw. Availability on the DOH-SEZ A330 route was zeroed out, but the flights are still there. But if one connects through LHR there is still availability for LHR-DOH-SEZ (even originating from ORD on a British Airways flight) with the final leg being on the A330 service.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Thanks for the replies.

I pulled up expertflyer, and I was surprised at what I saw. Availability on the DOH-SEZ A330 route was zeroed out, but the flights are still there. But if one connects through LHR there is still availability for LHR-DOH-SEZ (even originating from ORD on a British Airways flight) with the final leg being on the A330 service.
The A330 service has been zeroed out even from LHR. Technically, it is not cancelled. But QR is not selling tickets for those flights.Cancellation is very likely

During this pandemic, making plans several months ahead is a challenge that I would not entertain. You will need to be flexible and have plans B and C ready to ask QR when the flight is officially cancelled.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Zeroing out a flight (removing it from sale) is a standard defensive operational process that happens to prevent further bookings because another potential change is proposed but has yet to be actioned, maybe because there is now a chain of actions pending each of which needs some time to coordinate. Such changes might be an airframe change, a significant schedule change, a cancellation or something else that is typically disruptive to passengers who are booked on that service. Sometimes people note that a flight is zeroed out for it to return to sale with no changes.

In the context of the current circumstances the most likely outcome will be a cancellation, but there are others.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:43 am

In the same position on BA codeshare. Had my SEZ-DOH leg cancelled yesterday and rebooked for the day after. Probably a good thing as full flexibility to either stay an extra day, cancel or rebook with no fare penalty later in the year.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I received my cancellation notice as well. They reduced my stay in the Seychelles to just four nights down from the six I had planned. We are now arriving on a Tuesday and leaving on a Saturday. I called to make other arrangements, requesting a change in origin and/or destination, but both were a no go.

So I attempted to change my flights keeping the origin and destination the same, but they are sold out in business class on the one departure date that I could make work. I'm about to give up and just request a refund for our vacation and make other plans.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Some good news. First availability opened up on my preferred flight dates to Seychelles, so I went ahead and rescheduled them with Qatar. I was also able to book my hotel for the new dates without incurring an additional cost (other than the cost for one additional day).

But perhaps the best news was given to me by AA. AA agreed to protect my positioning flights to Chicago, allowing a change to my trip without requiring me to pay a fare difference (and the fare difference was about $200 per ticket!). AA was able to document my flight schedule change after I gave them my Qatar PNR. They did this by contacting the OneWorld desk. So kudos to AA here for stepping up even though I was on separate tickets and the change was solely due to Qatar's rescheduling.
SamirD and plunet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.