Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR: denied boarding FRA NBO because missing visa - QRPC says "no show" and no refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR: denied boarding FRA NBO because missing visa - QRPC says "no show" and no refund

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist

I just have the following issue with QR and ask for your advice:

I booked a flight FRA-DOH-NBO one-way business using Q-Miles.
Costs 61,750 Q Miles + € 109.

I checked in at the FRA airport on February 6th, 2021 because OLCI didn't work.
The passport, return flight (with LH), negative Covid-19 test and the confirmation email that I had provided information about my health in advance were checked.

First I went to the LH Lounge and about 30 minutes before departure to the gate.
An ugly noise when I put on my boarding pass. An agent comes and asks where my visa is.

The QR Manager explains to me that because of Covid-19, Kenya has abolished the VoA on 01.01.2021 and that I would not be taken along without a visa.
The flight was then closed and I couldn't go.

I have checked it in the meantime and unfortunately it is correct, i.e. Kenya requires a pre-issued visa since 01.01.2021. So much for my mistake.

The stupid thing is now that QR sees the ticket as flown because I was a "no show". The ticket counter in Frankfurt refers to the Privilege Club that issued the ticket. Several chats (via WhatsApp) and via the contact form ("contact center") led to a rejection of refund or rebooking to a later date, because the ticket was "forfeited".
When I asked whether a goodwill arrangement might be possible, the rules were explained to me like a prayer wheel and that the ticket had flown.

Question:

Does anyone have experience in such a case?
Does anyone have any contact with a slightly higher manager at QRPC? I can't get any further with "normal" customer service.

I would be satisfied with a partial refund (e.g. only DOH NBO) or a rebooking, e.g. within the next 30 days).
If it helps: I'm QRPC platinum.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: QR Plat
I have some experience, but it is all prior to Covid.

Basically QR (the airline) won't lift a finger to help you with PC (the points people) related problems. I've had multiple issues being caught between QR and PC the last year before Covid hit, and basically QR will only shrug and refer to PC, and PC will only have people available 08-16 local time in Doha, and PC people will just refer you to the rules.

I decided to empty my account, and just did it in time before Covid hit. Haven't flown in 12 months, but given how things are I would not have hopes of them lifting a finger to help you since they all can point to you making a mistake.

-A
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, you will have to just take a hit on this one as this is considered something that is your responsibility rather than the airline with respect to ensuring all documentation and approvals are confirmed. Given it is QR they will not budge from the golden rules that for the CS individuals are the holy scripture.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately and as you acknowledge, it was indeed wholly your responsibility to present yourself for boarding with all required documents, including your visa. When you did not board, you were properly marked as a "no show" and thus, your ticket retains whatever value it retains under its fare rules. In this instance, that is nothing and therefore you are out the value of the ticket.

Many carriers would reissue a ticket and perhaps charge a penalty, but others will not.

For the benefit of others, it is essential to check TIMATIC before all international travel. This includes rechecking on the day of travel.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you are denied boarding, that would be a no-show ( you weren't on the flight ) according to Qatar Airways.

I don't know if they would make a customer service gesture as you're QR Plat ( I didn't have any issues like this so I can't comment on that ) but unless there is a goodwill gesture, you could still get a refund ( the no-show fee and the taxes you utilized [ eg. Frankfurt security fee, etc... ] would be deducted ) or you could change your ticket by paying the applicable no-show fee and any applicable fare difference to a future date.

Edit: Green part: I realized at a future stage after posting that it was a redemption ticket.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:39 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If you didn’t actually board the first segment, it should still be marked as unused. The agent should have offloaded you (in the computer) if you didn’t actually get on after the failed visa check. I have no idea how you get them to fix it after the fact. The airline would be the only ones able to pull up a ticket and change the segment status on it back to “open.” Then you could follow up for changes/refunds with the frequent flyer program normally.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:12 pm
Suspended

But, that is the point. The carrier will not likely do that as it wants to be paid for the revenue forgone.

Some carriers are really strict about this and others will help out on the spot. But, getting this dealt with after the fact is a matter of finding someone with both the authority and willingness to help.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:22 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Agree. Unless you know somebody or are wiling to go to war with litigation, the ticket is likely worthless.

Are there any grounds for eu261?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Travel insurance? I had a more legitimate missed flight and my travel insurance flat out paid for a new one. 5 years of premiums paid for itself and then some just in that one instance.

This is kinda scummy by QR, but ultimately it is your mistake. Personally I've only ever used VoA once, that was in Laos and I hated putting my faith in that. I'd much prefer to have visas sorted out in advance. I'm gonna guess they'll hold your money hostage though, in a time where airlines need all the money they can get, this is money that is easy picking for them.

I'm not sure what level platinum is with QR, but if you have a special phone number they give you, I'd suggest calling that and appealing your case. A rebooking within 30 days is a pretty reasonable ask on your part and as a valued customer an agent experienced in dealing with customers such as yourself might just be sympathetic enough to the plight and agree with you.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
This is my experience with another airline that has bad customer service standards (albeit not that terribly bad as QR): TK.

It doesn't make sense to call any 'helplines' - they are powerless and read from scripts. 'Customer service' department is equally powerless.

IMHO the best option is to get in touch with someone from a local Sales/Commercial organization (like Country Sales Manager) - they value the high tier passengers as they know we fly on expensive fares what helps them to meet the sales targets. Normally they know someone at the Headquarters who can push for the right solution. Since my travel agent introduced me to a local TK Sales Managers, I do not have any customer service issues

Why not to try to call a local Sales Office (not the call center that is not even located in DE) and ask to be connected to a sales Manager
Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Are there any grounds for eu261?
For what? The OP admits that he/she didn't have the necessary documents (visa). That is not the problem of QR.

The OP checked-in but didn't take the flight = no show. Move on.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:04 am
Suspended

It is in the past for OP, but when these things happen, the best time to deal with these is on the spot. Asking the agent, manager, anyone to rebook for a later date or to at least leave the ticket segment open avoids pain down the road. No guarantee that it happens, but at this point, the ask here requires accounting transactions which actually mean taking a loss on the ticket. A lot harder than simply rebooking an open ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:20 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Originally Posted by SK AAR
For what? The OP admits that he/she didn't have the necessary documents (visa). That is not the problem of QR.

The OP checked-in but didn't take the flight = no show. Move on.
yes, but checking in isn’t boarding. What if this was a full fare flight refundable flight? They were correct to deny boarding, but IMO incorrect to lift the coupon for a segment he didn’t fly. I agree our debate here is largely theoretical. Unless he finds an angel to fix it, he’s unlikely to prevail.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Feb 15, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
QR clearly states that even on fully refundable tickets, changes should be made up to 3 hours before departure.
The OP was denied boarding during the boarding process so it is a No Show according to QR rules.

Different airlines might have different rules but QR would consider this as a no show.
Often1, DiamondMile and SK AAR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.