Wiki Posts
Search

First class to Dubai / Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:41 am
Original Poster

First class to Dubai / Abu Dhabi

Hello,

I wanted to book a flight from DOH to DXB in First Class.
Normaly all flights to arabic neighbour countries are sold in Economy Class and First class. I just can find fares in Business Class to DXB and AUH.
Does anyone know why?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:57 am

In Gulf States/Middle East, QR markets their forward cabin as first class even though it's a business class seat. As a first class passenger you'll get access to Al Safwa first class lounge in DOH (presently closed but when it reopens) and champagne. It's a great way to enjoy first class experience at business class prices.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileageking
In Gulf States/Middle East, QR markets their forward cabin as first class even though it's a business class seat. As a first class passenger you'll get access to Al Safwa first class lounge in DOH (presently closed but when it reopens) and champagne. It's a great way to enjoy first class experience at business class prices.
Yes, I know. On routes to Dubai and Abu Dhabi you can just book Business class and Economy class.
I do not know why.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:30 pm

Maybe to keep it consistent with EK & EY?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mileageking
As a first class passenger you'll get access to Al Safwa first class lounge in DOH (presently closed but when it reopens) and champagne. It's a great way to enjoy first class experience at business class prices.

The alternative view is you are buying business-class seats at a first-class fares. Business-class travel within the region can be painfully expensive.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:20 pm

It seems like since the route relaunch, they've started selling the Business class cabin as actual business class fares. In most cases, they're using a 2 class 787 on the route so I guess this makes sense to sell it as business class given that's what the actual seat is.

At this stage, they've only loaded flights until the 28th of March so perhaps they'll change it after that?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Probably because the Al Safwa lounge is still closed. Since the amount of service possible on a 235 mile flight is severely limited, the main differentiator will be the ground services in Doha, however at the moment that is only J ground services. So it is difficult to sell it as F.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:28 am
Original Poster

But on routes to MCT for example they have First class and Economy class. That is a little bit strange to me why they do not sell these two classes to AUH and DXB.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by betaepo2
But on routes to MCT for example they have First class and Economy class. That is a little bit strange to me why they do not sell these two classes to AUH and DXB.
I am not sure why you would want to pay more for the same service? Am I missing something..? The service you will get in Business both on ground and in-flight are the same right now since the Al-Safwa lounge is closed..
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by salehir
I am not sure why you would want to pay more for the same service? Am I missing something..?
The same reason it was sold as first before - bragging rights.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Probably because the Al Safwa lounge is still closed. Since the amount of service possible on a 235 mile flight is severely limited, the main differentiator will be the ground services in Doha, however at the moment that is only J ground services. So it is difficult to sell it as F.
But the relaunch of Saudi Arabia is with First and Economy. It does seem strange that this GCC First class thing no longer applies to UAE.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by salehir
I am not sure why you would want to pay more for the same service? Am I missing something..? The service you will get in Business both on ground and in-flight are the same right now since the Al-Safwa lounge is closed..
For me: BA Tier points. It was very efficient. Not everyone was paying for a F ticket originating in DOH. LON-DXB vis DOH was the same price as any other business class.

I used to fly JED-DOH-DXB all in First, got double first class Tier points, and it wasn't crazy First class pricing.

Last edited by Boten; Feb 4, 2021 at 12:59 am
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
it could well be a requirement by UAE to restart service. FZ and EY are only offering J. They might have requested QR to do the same.

Nothing loaded for S21 yet.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Happy to learn that QR has re-launched this route.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
According to BA I've just been downgraded from Business Class to First Class (Yes, that's not a typo) on my flight, an Avios redemption, from DOH-DXB in September.

Seems First is back on the DXB route.
nilsfr69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.