Wiki Posts
Search

Free extension in 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Free extension in 2021

Good news : I’ve just received an email from QR telling me that my Platinum tier due to expire on 5th April (it was already extended by 1 year du to COVID) would be extended up to 31st December 2021 :-)
Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:36 am

You beat me to posting Same here, my platinum status extended through Dec 31 2021. Thank you QRPC

Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Matt4
Good news : I’ve just received an email from QR telling me that my Platinum tier due to expire on 5th April (it was already extended by 1 year du to COVID) would be extended up to 31st December 2021 :-)
It may be a thing to say “thank you” if your status is due to expire soon. But my Platin expires end of November this year (and I did requalify for that date with earned points). So an extension till end of December is not something really great, from my point of view.
dump likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Got the same email and definitely happy for the ~6 month extension I’m getting. One point of clarity I’d like is that with the extension, should one assume that there won’t be an increase of qpoints needed to to retain status. Also, would our qpoints earned in the last earning cycle prior to covid (ie for flights taken in Jan or Feb ‘20) still count or would they expire before December 2021?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: QATAR PRIVILEGE CLUB
Good news indeed! Actually I stopped flying with QR on April 2019 after I flown more than 20 long-haul flight in the previous 2 years.

I am planning to burn all my qmiles for a trip with family end of the year so great to hear I will still be Platinum at that time
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As a data point, a status matcher, I haven't yet met the reduced threshold and I am one trip away to retain Platinum until June 2022.
I did not receive any extension mail or status matchers that have completed their match in 2020 are excluded from the extension.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
Also, would our qpoints earned in the last earning cycle prior to covid (ie for flights taken in Jan or Feb ‘20) still count or would they expire before December 2021?
Yes, that's the real question. Will they "freeze" your Qpoints earned up to now or not?
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a data point, a status matcher, I haven't yet met the reduced threshold and I am one trip away to retain Platinum until June 2022.
I did not receive any extension mail or status matchers that have completed their match in 2020 are excluded from the extension.
Same here, got matched to Gold last June. Haven't received any mail and neither the extension appears on my account.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
For those of you who have retained your Platinum status through actual flights this past year, Congrats and I am amazed and rather jealous!
My last flight was January 2020. I had several flights to Asia, Europe and North America lined up for 2020...and cancelled due to Covid restrictions. Thus, I have been hunkered down in Doha (Sandy Town) for more than a year :_(
I had been optimistic about spring 2021 but that was obviously a pipe dream as many countries are closing up once again. My fingers are crossed for Summer travel but I'm sure travel restrictions are likely to remain well into the Fall unless we get some form of vaccine passport. Anyways, still hopeful for travel Christmas 2021.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Peter1012
Same here, got matched to Gold last June. Haven't received any mail and neither the extension appears on my account.
I've been status matched to Gold as well last year during the campaign, no trips since then. Yesterday I got the email as follow:

If you are unable to retain your Gold tier by 27 June 2021, we have you covered for 2021.

If you do not retain your Gold tier on 27 June 2021, we’ll automatically extend your tier status, so that it is valid until 31 December 2021.

I'm sure you will get the email, anyway pretty sure you will get the same treatment even the email was missed.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BobFF68
I've been status matched to Gold as well last year during the campaign, no trips since then. Yesterday I got the email as follow:

If you are unable to retain your Gold tier by 27 June 2021, we have you covered for 2021.

If you do not retain your Gold tier on 27 June 2021, we’ll automatically extend your tier status, so that it is valid until 31 December 2021.

I'm sure you will get the email, anyway pretty sure you will get the same treatment even the email was missed.
Thanks for that, I'll report back if I get something from QR.

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
For those of you who have retained your Platinum status through actual flights this past year, Congrats and I am amazed and rather jealous!
My last flight was January 2020. I had several flights to Asia, Europe and North America lined up for 2020...and cancelled due to Covid restrictions. Thus, I have been hunkered down in Doha (Sandy Town) for more than a year :_(
I had been optimistic about spring 2021 but that was obviously a pipe dream as many countries are closing up once again. My fingers are crossed for Summer travel but I'm sure travel restrictions are likely to remain well into the Fall unless we get some form of vaccine passport. Anyways, still hopeful for travel Christmas 2021.
Unfortunately, you have a home-town disadvantage in your case as Qatar was really strict in terms of international arrivals and hotel quarantine. I assume that the people who have met the thresholds for Gold or Platinum are not based in Doha but a country that kept their borders open without quarantine or a COVID test requirement instead of a quarantine.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:00 am

Unfortunately, you have a home-town disadvantage in your case as Qatar was really strict in terms of international arrivals and hotel quarantine. I assume that the people who have met the thresholds for Gold or Platinum are not based in Doha but a country that kept their borders open without quarantine or a COVID test requirement instead of a quarantine.
Several countries have had 14-day mandatory quarantine requirement for almost a year e.g. Canada.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Press release https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Originally Posted by BobFF68

Got the above email, as a status matcher, who was matched to gold last June. Thanks QR.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:17 am

My question is, part of the status match deal was that to re-qualify during the status match period, you only needed 50% of the usual required points to retain the status-matched level. So, if you matched in June 2020, you had to earn 50% of the required points by June 2021 to retain status. Will that part of the deal also be extended to December 2021? I can't find an answer anywhere or from anyone I've spoken to at QR Privilege Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.