Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Will QR allow DOH-CPT if CPT-NBO is different ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

I am planning to fly QR DOH-CPT. I am a UK citizen
However I will have been in high risk countries (deemed by South Africa) so I will not be allowed entry into South Africa.

I have a same day flight CPT-NBO on Kenyan Airways. Assume, I can transit to this flight while remaining airside.

Will QR allow me to board in DOH. (Please say yes )

Last edited by Newbtravelle; Oct 29, 2020 at 8:41 am
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without knowing OP's citizenship, residence or the locations he will have been in the preceding 14 days, it is impossible to provide a reliable answer). As always, checking TIMATIC for the specifics of any international journey is critical, moreso these days. Following is the TIMATIC readout for OP's journey for a US citizen. Note that the separate e-ticket would not be an issue, but that there are specific restrictions.

Information as of 29OCT20 / 1423 UTC
National USA (US) /Embarkation Qatar (QA)
Transit South Africa (ZA) /Destination Kenya (KE)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
South Africa (ZA)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 30 days beyond the period of intended
stay.
Passport Exemptions:
- Nationals of USA with an emergency passport.
Admission and Transit Restrictions:
- Passengers can only land at Cape Town (CPT), Durban (DUR) or
Johannesburg (JNB).
- Passports must be machine-readable to enter and transit.

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA with a normal
passport, or:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Cape
Town (CPT) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a
third country on the same calendar day. They must stay in the
international transit area of the airport and have documents
required for the next destination.
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Durban
(DUR), Johannesburg (JNB) or Lanseria (HLA) with a confirmed
onward ticket for a flight to a third country. They must stay
in the international transit area of the airport and have
documents required for the next destination.
Warning:
- Passengers in transit are subject to a check by
immigration. They must hold passports or other documents
accepted to enter South Africa.
- Visitors with an extended machine readable passport are not
allowed to enter or transit South Africa.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks Often1,

I think SA would be fine with this, but it is seemingly against QR policy:
QR Website: "You will need to hold immigration approval to land at the final city in your itinerary that is operated by Qatar Airways, even if you are taking a connecting flight afterwards."
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I guess this is the same post I just answered on TA and the advice is the same too:

Qatar has a flexible rebooking policy in place at the moment so they could rebook you on the direct flight to Nairobi for perhaps not much extra, or you can get a voucher (+10% of what you paid) and rebook.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Oct 30, 2020 at 6:00 am
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Thanks Often1,

I think SA would be fine with this, but it is seemingly against QR policy:
QR Website: "You will need to hold immigration approval to land at the final city in your itinerary that is operated by Qatar Airways, even if you are taking a connecting flight afterwards."
That makes no sense as, by definition, one cannot connect on separate tickets.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Separate tickets can make logistical and $ sense, but can come with a big problem if the connect city/country requires a visa or has other regulations in place.
As far as airline-1 is concerned you are flying to B as your destination city. Sure you have a B to C ticket, but you might tear it up, you could miss the connection, or the B to C flight might be cancelled indefinitely - leaving airline-1 in a sticky position, possibly having to fly you back to A, possibly being fined.

The COVID requirement might allow for the type of connection you are aiming for, but airlines can be over-zealous guarding against infractions of immigration policy.
jerry a. laska and Yemona like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Separate tickets can make logistical and $ sense, but can come with a big problem if the connect city/country requires a visa or has other regulations in place.
As far as airline-1 is concerned you are flying to B as your destination city. Sure you have a B to C ticket, but you might tear it up, you could miss the connection, or the B to C flight might be cancelled indefinitely - leaving airline-1 in a sticky position, possibly having to fly you back to A, possibly being fined.

The COVID requirement might allow for the type of connection you are aiming for, but airlines can be over-zealous guarding against infractions of immigration policy.
mmmm yes - I wouldn't be shocked if the over-zealousness were to prevail.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I guess this is the same post I just answered on TA and the advice is the same too:

Qatar has a flexible rebooking policy in place at the moment so they could rebook you on the direct flight to Nairobi for perhaps not much extra, or you can get a voucher (+10% of what you paid) and rebook.
Yes good point, but one would then miss out on a 10 hour long Q-Suites flight :P
Steve_ZA likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes good point, but one would then miss out on a 10 hour long Q-Suites flight :P
Much as many of us like qsuites, based on a choice of little to no chance of getting to your destination indirectly, and the relative comfort of QR non qsuites flights, and the added bonus of the QR airframe allocation lottery (what might be promised could be taken away and vice versa) if your objective is to get to Nairobi then you probably really ought to consider the direct option...
kq747 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Travelling in the current climate, many of us are missing out on stuff. I'd save the delight of Q-suites for another day and find a better way of getting to Nairobi. If you are travelling from DOH you have direct flights with QR: and who knows, you might get Q-suites
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
That makes no sense as, by definition, one cannot connect on separate tickets.
It is written for the layperson, to whom it makes sense.

OP: I suspect you’ll be denied boarding in DOH.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Do not forget there is no airside transit zone in Cape Town, you will have to clear everything first as an arriving passenger in South Africa and be held to same Covid conditions for those arriving even though you are just transferring. You also need written permission by the Dept of Home Affairs which isn't an overnight process, QR will deny you boarding in a heartbeat without this approval as your chance of being sent back at the border and QR getting a stiff fine is very high.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Do not forget there is no airside transit zone in Cape Town, you will have to clear everything first as an arriving passenger in South Africa and be held to same Covid conditions for those arriving even though you are just transferring. You also need written permission by the Dept of Home Affairs which isn't an overnight process, QR will deny you boarding in a heartbeat without this approval as your chance of being sent back at the border and QR getting a stiff fine is very high.
right thanks for confirming. My plan now is to spend 10 days in a low/med country to ease the SA connection issue.

(Also my end destination would be ZNZ via Nairobi - But I wouldn't want to travel that far not to experience both CPT and ZNZ (possibly LVI))
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Why don't you spend 10 days in Kenya then fly to Cape Town?

You can fly direct from Doha to Nairobi.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Longton
Why don't you spend 10 days in Kenya then fly to Cape Town?

You can fly direct from Doha to Nairobi.
Because what's the point if one cannot spend 10 hours in Qsuites
IAN-UK, ISTFlyer and Newbtravelle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.