FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   DOH-SYD flight women internally examined before takeoff (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2027538-doh-syd-flight-women-internally-examined-before-takeoff.html)

lokijuh Oct 25, 2020 5:56 pm

DOH-SYD flight women internally examined before takeoff

Not sure where to put this, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet on FlyerTalk.

According to reports, 13 women were removed from a QR flight DOH-SYD for medical examination after a premature baby was found in a rest room at DOH. If accounts are accurate it seems quite a dreadful ordeal for those involved.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...found/12811716

davidj1 Oct 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes saw the article too, disgusting really if true.

I wonder why the women didn't reject the search (allegedly "without explanation"), and if they did, what would have been the next course of action?

If anyone was asking you to take off your underwear for a closer inspection 'down there', there would have to be a pretty good reason provided, no?

It appears there were a few aircraft delayed, presumably the same thing was happening elsewhere. What are other non-aussies saying?

hb133 Oct 26, 2020 12:04 am

Originally Posted by davidj1 (Post 32772687)
Yes saw the article too, disgusting really if true.

I wonder why the women didn't reject the search (allegedly "without explanation"), and if they did, what would have been the next course of action?

If anyone was asking you to take off your underwear for a closer inspection 'down there', there would have to be a pretty good reason provided, no?

It appears there were a few aircraft delayed, presumably the same thing was happening elsewhere. What are other non-aussies saying?

Unfortunately I know one of the women on the flight and sadly what was quoted in the press is was very much true. She questioned their intentions and why she had to be searched in such a way and was told in no uncertain terms that 'she had to have the search'. They were intimidated, not communicated to and hugely upset.

It is abhorrent that Qatar Airways allowed this to happen and very concerning that passengers transiting through to places like Australia could potentially be subjected to such in-humane treatment. Hopefully the Australian government will put maximum pressure on the Qataris.

justakiwi Oct 26, 2020 1:09 am

Originally Posted by hb133 (Post 32773071)
Unfortunately I know one of the women on the flight and sadly what was quoted in the press is was very much true. She questioned their intentions and why she had to be searched in such a way and was told in no uncertain terms that 'she had to have the search'. They were intimidated, not communicated to and hugely upset.

It is abhorrent that Qatar Airways allowed this to happen and very concerning that passengers transiting through to places like Australia could potentially be subjected to such in-humane treatment. Hopefully the Australian government will put maximum pressure on the Qataris.

If true, Australia (and NZ and every other country to which QR flies) should withdraw landing rights. Let's see how they like them apples.

justakiwi

roberino Oct 26, 2020 1:47 am

I’m not condoning the way the searches were conducted but failing to report a birth is massively serious, especially if the infant subsequently died. I can imagine that, after such a traumatic event so far from home, the woman just wanted to get home but there are so many complications that could have occurred post-delivery. I hope she is safe and well.

ph-ndr Oct 26, 2020 2:39 am

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 32773142)
I’m not condoning the way the searches were conducted but failing to report a birth is massively serious, especially if the infant subsequently died. I can imagine that, after such a traumatic event so far from home, the woman just wanted to get home but there are so many complications that could have occurred post-delivery. I hope she is safe and well.

This is a traumatic event for whomever it happened, and there is risk for that person. But it's a pretty far reach to get from there to requiring these kinds of examinations of multiple women on the aircraft (and possibly multiple aircraft).

-A

IAN-UK Oct 26, 2020 2:55 am

Originally Posted by hb133 (Post 32773071)
Unfortunately I know one of the women on the flight and sadly what was quoted in the press is was very much true.

When did the incident take place?

mr_botak Oct 26, 2020 3:19 am

2nd October according to the Guardian.

madrooster Oct 26, 2020 3:29 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 32773200)
When did the incident take place?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...740Z/OTHH/YSSY

This is the flight in question.

IAN-UK Oct 26, 2020 3:54 am

Originally Posted by mr_botak (Post 32773220)
2nd October according to the Guardian.

Originally Posted by madrooster (Post 32773235)

Speedy responses thanks!

I looked up the Guardian report. It is more detailed, and seems more accurate in terms of numbers and logistics, than the ABC story.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-search-ordeal

I'm guessing departures from DOH are limited in number, but it would be odd if passengers on other flights in the same time frame were not targeted.

roberino Oct 26, 2020 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr (Post 32773191)
This is a traumatic event for whomever it happened, and there is risk for that person. But it's a pretty far reach to get from there to requiring these kinds of examinations of multiple women on the aircraft (and possibly multiple aircraft).

-A

100% agree. This was pretty much the worst way possible to handle it.

msm2000uk Oct 26, 2020 6:24 am

Can we remember that this forum is about QR, and not the State of Qatar.

Thanks all

Msm2000uk
QR Moderator Team

J S Oct 26, 2020 7:30 am

New York Times story. This is horrific and revolting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/w...e=articleShare

davidj1 Oct 26, 2020 7:47 am

Reading the Guardian article, the airline later knew what happened, but apparently in the NYT article they later denied the occurrence? Adding insult to injury by trying to cover it up. Disgusting.

kq747 Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am

This is truly disturbing. I am assuming the newborn was found in the gate loo as it seems they isolated questioning to the SYD flight? not totally clear. Also, I am wondering what the authorities would do if this happened in, shall we say a more "liberal" country, assuming you could identify the flight which the passenger is on? I am also wondering if they ever found the actual mother? So many questions