Wiki Posts
Search

UK 14 Day Quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY Platinum, MH Gold
UK 14 Day Quarantine

Does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the travel corridor list with the UK? Their cases have been much less than the 20 per 100,000 threshold since end of July, yet it we still need to quarantine even though we are coming from Malaysia which is on the Travel Corridor list.

The only thing I can think of is that Qatar is a high risk transit point, but still doesnt quite make sense given that QR are insisting on a negative test for those boarding from the higher risk countries.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by jamiegutz
Does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the travel corridor list with the UK? Their cases have been much less than the 20 per 100,000 threshold since end of July, yet it we still need to quarantine even though we are coming from Malaysia which is on the Travel Corridor list.

The only thing I can think of is that Qatar is a high risk transit point, but still doesnt quite make sense given that QR are insisting on a negative test for those boarding from the higher risk countries.
The England threshold is 20 cases per 100,000 population in the past week. According to Worldometers, Qatar had 235 cases yesterday and 217 the day before: this gives a per week total of at least 1,500. With a population of 2.8m, this gives a weekly infection rate of ~ 53 (per 100,000), so well above the England threshold of 20.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jamiegutz
Does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the travel corridor list with the UK? Their cases have been much less than the 20 per 100,000 threshold since end of July...

I think you are using the wrong metric. It's new cases per week per 100,000. Not cases per day. A weekly rate irons out the significant fluctuations inherent in the reporting of cases per day.

Qatar hasn't had a good war. The number of new infections has been bobbing around between 200 and 300+ per day since the beginning of August. If you do the maths that'll give you a weekly rate well in excess of the UK's threshold.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed.
And the PCR tests imposed by QR on pax from high-risk countries is a bit of a joke.
They ask that the report be issued (not taken) 96 hours before departure. That leaves plenty of time to be infected from the moment you take the test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.