Wiki Posts
Search

J catering during COVID era?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
J catering during COVID era?

Haven't seen much on the web, but can anyone provide reports on catering (especially QSuite routes) these days?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by andreiz
Haven't seen much on the web, but can anyone provide reports on catering (especially QSuite routes) these days?
Just few threads below...
Business Class Service
Old Sep 6, 2020, 11:49 pm

If you have a flight coming up, you can DM your PNR number to Qatar Airways (I've used facebook, but I'd imagine other social media will work as well) and they will send you a copy of your flight's menu.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Flew MNL DOH JFK in QSuites August 28, only difference was it was all served at one time one one tray, other than that service was excellent.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by craig44485
Flew MNL DOH JFK in QSuites August 28, only difference was it was all served at one time one one tray, other than that service was excellent.
Same here. QR is still providing excellent catering.
craig44485 and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Starter tray NRT DOH 22:30 departure.

Main was served separately, sorry the light does not really do it any justice.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:32 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RSDoha
If you have a flight coming up, you can DM your PNR number to Qatar Airways (I've used facebook, but I'd imagine other social media will work as well) and they will send you a copy of your flight's menu.
I tried this and they told me, menus change every day. If you need a special meal book a meal. However they refused to provide the menu.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by craig44485
Just flew YUL-DOH-MLE in QSuites (A350 then 777). YUL-DOH had Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Rosé, 2 starters, 3 mains, plus breakfast and "lighter options" (all available on demand). Service was excellent and the food was decent (I thought the chicken biryani was good but not excellent; my wife had the beef and it was more than well done, even for airplane beef... but everything else was good). This was a multi-tray service, first the tapas starter then the main then cheese then chocolates, etc.

DOH-MLE at 2:05 a.m. had 1 starter and 3 mains, went with some sort of prawn curry that was fantastic. This was a one-tray service but that was totally fine; some wine and food, then 3.5 hours sleep, then wake up in MLE, how can it get better than that.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Glad to hear service is going well still. We understand the need for some adjustments, but are looking forward to 40 hours of QSuites in a few weeks.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Just flew YUL-DOH-MLE in QSuites (A350 then 777). YUL-DOH had Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Rosé, 2 starters, 3 mains, plus breakfast and "lighter options" (all available on demand). Service was excellent and the food was decent (I thought the chicken biryani was good but not excellent; my wife had the beef and it was more than well done, even for airplane beef... but everything else was good). This was a multi-tray service, first the tapas starter then the main then cheese then chocolates, etc.

DOH-MLE at 2:05 a.m. had 1 starter and 3 mains, went with some sort of prawn curry that was fantastic. This was a one-tray service but that was totally fine; some wine and food, then 3.5 hours sleep, then wake up in MLE, how can it get better than that.
Sounds like QR is still very much committed to its 5-star standards
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just flew CDG-DOH-HKG in J.
I am a very frequent QR J flyer.( 3 EU-HKG return flights so far this year).
Food is still good, but it is clear that covid protocol has taken its toll.

QR used to be a kitchen in the skies, where FAs were preparing each dish individually. They were mixing ingredients with different level of heating directly on your personal plate. The dishes looked and tasted spectacular, with a lot of originality. It is now all prepared at the airport and simply reheated on the plane.
The looks are gone. The main is high quality, but can hardly avoid the mushy taste with the meat/sauce/veggies heated together.

Given the few pax, the choices tend to be limited.
Only two starters: the mezze were as good as usual, but the prawn salad was uninspiring and cold.
No more warm soup which was often my favorite.
Three mains, that now taste like typical J food.
No cheese and one compulsory chocolate mousse. It is good but extremely rich with no other lighter alternative. Desserts used to be wonderful.
Still the lovely Godiva chocolates.

The Lallier grande reserve is as mediocre as usual and the Taittinger rose too sweet to my taste.
Great selection of wines, The Chateau La Marzelle 2011 (Saint Emilion Grand Cru classe) is magnificent. They have been serving it for a while and it is great. The Chablis 1er cru is quite nice.

All in all, an excellent experience in these covid times. I recently flew (paid) F on BA and it is a disgrace. But that is OT.

BTW the Al Mourjan offering has improved. With the reduced number of pax, great service, improved catering, great wines, it has become a treat.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 10:46 am

Yes, it does seem that there has been a Covid19 impact on the quality of the food, but as you said, Qatar Airways is still so far ahead of the likes of BA, even when you compare Qatar's business class to BA's first class.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:25 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I would say that it was as good as always. Maybe a few less options, but still delicious. They're doing a damn good job. Here's my full review with plenty of photos of the seat and all the food and alcohol that was available.

Full review of qatar airways a350 business class.
mjz and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Qatar really is a 5-star airline! A few questions:

-are FAs willing and eager to check on passengers and provide beverage refills proactively? or are they told to stay out of the aisle unless called?
-is it true that fruit and cheese is no longer a dessert offering?
-is it still a la carte dining where you can order food/drinks at any time? I am wondering if FAs are annoyed by that now?
-aren't there hazmat suits unsettling? Unlike their uniforms, which they would be extra careful with, I am worried about the white material touching all kinds of surfaces (like rubbing up against the wall of bathrooms and other surfaces). It's actually dirtier and less safe than wearing their own uniforms? I guess that's a question for another thread though.
-I understand that J pax don't have to wear face shields inflight due to the distancing of seats. Is that still the case on the A320 family planes where the seating is 2-2?

Flying in a few weeks, and so happy to be back aboard QR!
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You can dine any time you wish. They will take the orders before take off, just tell them when you would like the meal to be served.

The selection of desserts are more limited than before. I have not seen fruits or cheese on my three flights on this trip. So you are probably right, they are not available.

There are checks for refills as usual.

The suits the crew wear are a bit weird, but I don't find them unsettling. They stay nice and white throughout, I guess they might chance them along the way on the longer flights.

There are chnages yes, but it feels very limited compared to most airlines. Though more heavy than JAL and ANA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.