Dog - Excess Bagage

Old Sep 6, 20, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Dog - Excess Bagage

Does anyone have any experience in checking in the dog as excess baggage ?
We have used pet couriers previously for transporting our cat, but are considering this option, just so we know she definitely leaves the country with us in these very uncertain times.

I appreciate the paperwork is a bit of a nightmare, but I do have a very good, clued up vet.
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Most airlines have guidance on carriage of animals - have you looked at the Qatar Airways website for their guidance on what they permit?
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Most airlines have guidance on carriage of animals - have you looked at the Qatar Airways website for their guidance on what they permit?
Yes
Old Sep 13, 20, 5:21 pm

We transported our dog from UK to Australia two years ago. Qatar's website gives details on shipping animals, so I thought it would be easy enough to arrange with them directly rather than using an animal transport company. Unfortunately, when I contacted them (and being put through to various teams), I was eventually told that I would need to use a transport company. I think that because of the complexities of administration they don't want to take the risk of dealing with the general public.

You can speak with them, but you may end up finding you need to use an animal transport company.

I'm pretty sharp on paperwork, legal requirements and such - but in the end, I was glad we used an animal transport company. It really is a logistical mess that would have taken me many hours and with every chance of screwing something up along the way.
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83 View Post
We transported our dog from UK to Australia two years ago. Qatar's website gives details on shipping animals, so I thought it would be easy enough to arrange with them directly rather than using an animal transport company. Unfortunately, when I contacted them (and being put through to various teams), I was eventually told that I would need to use a transport company. I think that because of the complexities of administration they don't want to take the risk of dealing with the general public.

You can speak with them, but you may end up finding you need to use an animal transport company.

I'm pretty sharp on paperwork, legal requirements and such - but in the end, I was glad we used an animal transport company. It really is a logistical mess that would have taken me many hours and with every chance of screwing something up along the way.
Thank you!
Do you mind me asking which pet courier you used. We've used Golden Arrow before, but unfortunately they're not taking any new clients at the moment.
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:55 am

We used a chap called Tim Finlay (Tim Finlay Pet Services). Above and beyond service - I couldn't recommend him highly enough. He was a recommendation from our vet and they worked together wading through the quagmire of Australian regulations and quarantine. He's based up in Manchester, so he may not be appropriately located for you.
Old Sep 14, 20, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is there anyway you can get the dog registered as an emotional support animal. All you need is a letter from a registered psychiatrist and then you can take your dog in the cabin with you. For free.
Old Sep 14, 20, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djtriggz View Post
Is there anyway you can get the dog registered as an emotional support animal. All you need is a letter from a registered psychiatrist and then you can take your dog in the cabin with you. For free.
I wouldn't want to inflict the rest of the J passengers to a barky whippet! lol
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
I wouldn't want to inflict the rest of the J passengers to a barky whippet! lol
Buy the dog a ticket and let him take you as excess baggage
tmac100 and mr_botak like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 7:04 pm

Not ex-UK or to NZ, which is the case for the OP I understand, going by this:

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...cabin-with-me-
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Recently flew with our 2 cats in cargo as excess baggage MNL DOH JFK.. After we booked our tickets, we called QR and had them added to our reservation. They asked for the pets name, breed, pet weight, crate weight, and crate size. Took down the information and asked us to call back in about 4 hours, although it took around 4 calls, eventually the following day they were approved, evidently there is a limited amount of space for these type of things. QR gave us a price, $250 USD per cat. We paid the fee and that was that. Of course proper paperwork for your departing and arrival country will need to be completed. The cut off is 48 hours before the flight leaves so do not wait til the last minute.

Last edited by craig44485; Sep 14, 20 at 10:30 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:23 am

Seriously? "ALL YOU NEED?" Asking a Psychiatrist to lie?
craig44485 and stewardo like this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
Buy the dog a ticket and let him take you as excess baggage
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Seriously? "ALL YOU NEED?" Asking a Psychiatrist to lie?
Donald Trump got defered from going to Viet Nam by getting a doctor to say he had bone spurs. Not!
Old Sep 15, 20, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Donald Trump got defered from going to Viet Nam by getting a doctor to say he had bone spurs. Not!
Ahhh, so the dog has bone spurs. A letter from a registered podiatrist should do the trick then.
craig44485 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: