EDI-AKL

Old Sep 5, 20, 5:08 am
Original Poster

EDI-AKL

Hi there,
I've been advised that Qatar will be introducing an EDI-DOH-AKL route in Nov/Dec.
Obviously with the current circumstances, I'm a bit wary of booking something that's not currently up and running.
Does anyone have any insight into this route and how likely it is to be cancelled.
Old Sep 5, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
As far as I am aware the sector DOH to/from EDI with Qatar is currently suspended, probably due to lack of demand and commercial viability.

Qatar in normal times would have a direct non-stop flight DOH to AKL, but the limited number of flights currently running have a stop in BNE Brisbane. The limited schedule is because NZ borders are effectively closed unless you can satisfy the specific requirements required by NZ immigration and get permission in advance, and the flights will be handling repatriation and permitted urgent travel requirements and cargo. It is very unlikely that NZ borders will reopen this year (they are closed until further notice) and current rumours are that they are unlikey to open any time soon, if and when they do open it might be only for cross-Tasman passengers.

You can probably book the flight for dates in November but the chances that they will fly as scheduled are minimal, at a random guess your EDI will likely be changed to a LHR departure with a connecting BA flight fro EDI and if you do have permission to fly into NZ then you will probably need to change you day of flights to match whatever the schedule is for flights from DOH to AKL.

If in the event what gets offered doesn't meet your requirements you will be covered by the book with confidence policy, but make sure you read it carefully, and be aware that the policy may change from time to time. Ultimately you will have EU261 protection for the flight from Europe.

Hope that is useful
Old Sep 5, 20, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Yes, we're NZ citizens moving back home and choosing a route is proving a bit of a minefield.
TBH departing LHR isn't a biggy, and we may get the QSuites. The big difference for us is the price, but if I book the much cheaper EDI tickets and get bumped to LHR then so long as they don't expect us to pay the fare difference, I'm happy with that.
So much uncertainty. Challenging times.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:06 pm

EDI has been operating 3 times weekly since the start of August and is going up to 4 weekly in October so I donít think you will have to worry about going out via LHR. The timetable is only finalised until the end of the the summer schedule on 24 October.

It may be a case of once you book and the November schedule is uploaded that you may have to shift a day either side as flights are unlikely to be daily but I donít foresee any issues of QR terminating EDI service for the winter season.
Old Sep 5, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Thanks for the extra info you are citizens, it wasn't obvious from your original posting...
and thanks to others clarifying the EDI route is running, I did quickly check the QR flight status tool and couldn't quickly find any day with a scheduled flight!

If you do get bumped to LHR because of the limited dates for EDI with onward flights to AKL change then QR will sort this out for you, either with a BA connection or for you to make your own way to LHR and you pick the flight up from there. If there is any involuntarily change (time change >2hrs) to your scheduled flight you can usually ask to change your origin or destination to any other QR destination within 500miles of your original journey so a shift to LHR would usually be permitted without any great fuss.

QR have been serving AU and NZ pretty consistently throughout the pandemic so I would say out of all the options available to you they have to be close to the top of the list.

Good luck plotting your exit during these challenging times.
Old Sep 6, 20, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Neilgcal View Post
EDI has been operating 3 times weekly since the start of August and is going up to 4 weekly in October so I donít think you will have to worry about going out via LHR. The timetable is only finalised until the end of the the summer schedule on 24 October.

It may be a case of once you book and the November schedule is uploaded that you may have to shift a day either side as flights are unlikely to be daily but I donít foresee any issues of QR terminating EDI service for the winter season.
Thanks for that.
I was led to believe it was currently suspended, but yes, looking at the EDI timetable it's still scheduled.
Feeling a lot more confident now
Old Sep 6, 20, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet View Post

QR have been serving AU and NZ pretty consistently throughout the pandemic so I would say out of all the options available to you they have to be close to the top of the list.

Good luck plotting your exit during these challenging times.
Yup, Qatar or Singapore are the top runners, but SIA are super expensive! Certainly couldn't afford business class. The economy tickets are over £1k each! With Qatar all 3 of us can travel business for £7.5k which I think is very reasonable considering everything that's going on.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
Hi there,
I've been advised that Qatar will be introducing an EDI-DOH-AKL route in Nov/Dec.
Obviously with the current circumstances, I'm a bit wary of booking something that's not currently up and running.
Does anyone have any insight into this route and how likely it is to be cancelled.
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
As far as I am aware the sector DOH to/from EDI with Qatar is currently suspended, probably due to lack of demand and commercial viability.

Qatar in normal times would have a direct non-stop flight DOH to AKL, but the limited number of flights currently running have a stop in BNE Brisbane. The limited schedule is because NZ borders are effectively closed unless you can satisfy the specific requirements required by NZ immigration and get permission in advance, and the flights will be handling repatriation and permitted urgent travel requirements and cargo. It is very unlikely that NZ borders will reopen this year (they are closed until further notice) and current rumours are that they are unlikey to open any time soon, if and when they do open it might be only for cross-Tasman passengers.
<snip>
November is after the New Zealand general election and Queensland State election, so things will be different.
QR has been bringing people to AU who air side transit to Air NZ (1 ticket)
SQ are currently flying into CHC once a week

03 Sep 2020 [ExecTrav (AU)] ----> Qatar Airways makes a move for year-round Brisbane flights

07 Aug 2020 [ExecTrav (AU)] ----> Qatar Airways returns to Auckland, with flights via Brisbane
QR912 DOH-BNE-AKL landed AKL today at 04:05. Codeshared with BA
https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl-arrivals
Old Sep 7, 20, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Slightly off topic but advice and opinions welcome; I have a booking from EDI to SIN via DOH in November. As it isn't possible to enter SIN as a tourist, what is likely to happen. Will the flight be cancelled or will I have to cancel and struggle for a refund?
Old Sep 7, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Exsilver View Post
Slightly off topic but advice and opinions welcome; I have a booking from EDI to SIN via DOH in November. As it isn't possible to enter SIN as a tourist, what is likely to happen. Will the flight be cancelled or will I have to cancel and struggle for a refund?
The flight would likely not cancel since it might be possible for others to enter the country. It will count as travel restrictions imposed by authorities so you should get a full refund.
Old Sep 7, 20, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
The flight would likely not cancel since it might be possible for others to enter the country. It will count as travel restrictions imposed by authorities so you should get a full refund.
Thank you, very helpful.
Old Sep 8, 20, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Exsilver View Post
The schedule may normalise by November, but I know Iíve had 5 or 6 cancelations on my SIN-DOH flight for this month over the last three months. Called to move it to Feb but the agent in Doha suggested moving to December and then calling back in. She said that it could then be moved to Feb for free ,hinting at an extension of Travel with Confidence.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: