FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Negative PCR Clarification: (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2024480-negative-pcr-clarification.html)

joecool1885 Sep 3, 2020 6:35 pm

Negative PCR Clarification:

For countries that require a negative test on arrival (specifically, the Maldives), will I be required to receive my negative result prior to boarding my origin flight from Chicago to Doha, or can it come back by the time I am boarding in Doha for Male, or will I not be required to present the test for either flight? I intend to take the test on a Saturday, and my flight from Chicago departs on a Tuesday. In case I don't get my results back until Wednesday, I would like to be assured I can still begin travel.

Thanks!

Cat88L3 Sep 3, 2020 7:01 pm

Wouldn't you want to know/have your results either way before you start your trip? What if you are positive for COVID and you get your results in Doha? What would you do then? Your trip would be all downhill...Try to see if you can get a rapid PCR test so you can get your results the same day. That's just my opinion so you can bypass the nerve-wracking anxiety. I know that turnaround time for a regular PCR test in the U.S. is dismal. I speak from experience as I just recently vacationed in a country that required a negative PCR test on arrival. Good luck.

joecool1885 Sep 3, 2020 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 32650958)
Wouldn't you want to know/have your results either way before you start your trip? What if you are positive for COVID and you get your results in Doha? What would you do then? Your trip would be all downhill...Try to see if you can get a rapid PCR test so you can get your results the same day. That's just my opinion so you can bypass the nerve-wracking anxiety. I know that turnaround time for a regular PCR test in the U.S. is dismal. I speak from experience as I just recently vacationed in a country that required a negative PCR test on arrival. Good luck.

Indeed I would prefer my results prior to departure, which is why I plan to take the test as close to 72 hours prior to departure as I can (regulation is I cannot take the test before then).
But turnaround is 2-3 days, and there is no certainty that taking it on a Saturday I would have it back by Tuesday (especially considering I'm unsure if they process tests on Sunday)
AFAIK, there is no "Rapid-PCR" test, rather there is a rapid antigen test, which does not qualify. If there is a rapid-PCR test, there are certainly none available to me.

A couple months ago I took the test and it took 10 days, last week I took it and it took 4 days. Some places are now saying 2-3 days, so it seems like the situation is improving here in Cali.

Cat88L3 Sep 3, 2020 9:50 pm

FYI, there ARE rapid PCR COVID-19 tests. I had this done 2 weeks ago myself. I live in NYC, but I'm very aware that there are other travelers who have had access to this test in different parts of the USA. I've had communication with some and most didn't live in metropolitan cities like NY. It's not as common as the rapid antigen, but it's out there... The test was free with my health insurance as well. I just had to pay a copay for the doctor visit. I received my results within the hour and I was tested at a medical center.

Just throwing that option out there to you if you wanted to spend some time researching the availability in your area.

cheltzel Sep 4, 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 32651161)
FYI, there ARE rapid PCR COVID-19 tests. I had this done 2 weeks ago myself. I live in NYC, but I'm very aware that there are other travelers who have had access to this test in different parts of the USA. I've had communication with some and most didn't live in metropolitan cities like NY. It's not as common as the rapid antigen, but it's out there... The test was free with my health insurance as well. I just had to pay a copay for the doctor visit. I received my results within the hour and I was tested at a medical center.

Just throwing that option out there to you if you wanted to spend some time researching the availability in your area.

The test I have used (and is the only one I am familiar with) is the Abbott RealTime SARS-COV-2 assay. I believe it yields results (in the lab) in as little as 5 - 10 minutes. I have used Quest Diagnostics in the ORD area for this. I have gotten same day results from them. There may be other organizations who can provide the same or a very similar service.

Often1 Sep 4, 2020 8:38 am

You will likely be denied boarding if you are unable to present all documents required for entry. This is standard and has nothing to do with the pandemic. But, the pandemic heightens the concern.

If you are required to provide a PCR test result, make certain that if use a rapid test that it is PCR or you risk having it rejected. I can't speak to your situation in Chicago, but there are private facilities (labs and docs with arrangements with labs) which are able to guarantee quick turn. Those may be quite expensive, but the 72-hour rule does create issues otherwise.

cheltzel Sep 4, 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32651911)
You will likely be denied boarding if you are unable to present all documents required for entry. This is standard and has nothing to do with the pandemic. But, the pandemic heightens the concern.

If you are required to provide a PCR test result, make certain that if use a rapid test that it is PCR or you risk having it rejected. I can't speak to your situation in Chicago, but there are private facilities (labs and docs with arrangements with labs) which are able to guarantee quick turn. Those may be quite expensive, but the 72-hour rule does create issues otherwise.

The Abbott test is an approved PCR-RT test. And the cost is somewhere between $150 and $200 (no doctor's order required). When I needed a test, it was the best value I could find in my area. But, as always, YMMV depending on where you are, etc.

brunos Sep 4, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 32652004)
The Abbott test is an approved PCR-RT test. And the cost is somewhere between $150 and $200 (no doctor's order required). When I needed a test, it was the best value I could find in my area. But, as always, YMMV depending on where you are, etc.

The Abbott test received Emergency Use Authorisation in the USA. In some countries it is not yet "approved". But that is not your problem.

The biggest problem today is not really the speed of the test itself, whether 15 minutes or a couple of hours. The problem is the lab processing delay.
Find a lab that promise a same day result. A 200$ fee makes it very profitable for the lab.

Taking the test in DOH is not really an option, so you will need your test results when you board in Chicago.

cheltzel Sep 4, 2020 11:16 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 32652236)
The Abbott test received Emergency Use Authorisation in the USA. In some countries it is not yet "approved". But that is not your problem.

The biggest problem today is not really the speed of the test itself, whether 15 minutes or a couple of hours. The problem is the lab processing delay.
Find a lab that promise a same day result. A 200$ fee makes it very profitable for the lab.

Taking the test in DOH is not really an option, so you will need your test results when you board in Chicago.

Here is the current approval list for the high speed or real time assay ...

US FDA EUA - Australia TGA - Brazil ANVISA - Health Canada - Singapore HSA - South Africa SAHPRA - CE-IVD - WHO EUL

sevimli Sep 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 32651902)
The test I have used (and is the only one I am familiar with) is the Abbott RealTime SARS-COV-2 assay. I believe it yields results (in the lab) in as little as 5 - 10 minutes. I have used Quest Diagnostics in the ORD area for this. I have gotten same day results from them. There may be other organizations who can provide the same or a very similar service.

I am part of the developer team for the SARS-CoV-2 at Abbott, and i can assure you that it requires a minimum of 5.5hr. The other product that runs on Alinity m platform requires 2hr only.

glocklt4 Sep 17, 2020 9:18 am

Guys, "RT" does not mean "real-time" related to RT-PCR tests. It's "Reverse Transcription", a way of processing the test: https://www.enzolifesciences.com/sci...cr-and-rt-qpcr

You can find places that will run the tests more frequently and pay for expedited processing to have it done within 24hr. Just need to "shop around".

glocklt4 Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 32651161)
FYI, there ARE rapid PCR COVID-19 tests.

No - there isn't a "Rapid" PCR test - you just got the results faster than normal because they started processing your specimen quickly... The key is to go somewhere that has no backlog, or is willing to put you at the front of the line for additional cost.

"Rapid" is synonymous with the Abbott antigen test, which is a quick 5-15min, but also not nearly as accurate, which is why almost no country will accept that for entrance.

fotoflyer88 Sep 17, 2020 2:44 pm

I haven't been able to get an answer as what is required as "proof" does a website printout suffice? Most tests delivered electronically. Or do I have to pay some travel clinic $$$$ for a silly 'certificate'

Cat88L3 Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4 (Post 32682239)
No - there isn't a "Rapid" PCR test - you just got the results faster than normal because they started processing your specimen quickly... The key is to go somewhere that has no backlog, or is willing to put you at the front of the line for additional cost.

"Rapid" is synonymous with the Abbott antigen test, which is a quick 5-15min, but also not nearly as accurate, which is why almost no country will accept that for entrance.

To me, rapid means exactly what it says which is fast. The only thing I know is that my doc ordered a rapid PCR test for me to do. At first, I was supposed to get a regular one that was 2+ days of processing time. I clarified that I needed the results within a few hours and I did use the words "Rapid PCR".

Now, if that means they are just processing the results super quick, great. The point is my results came within the hour vs 2 - 9 days. People do need to make the distinction of what they want regarding PCR testing, even when it comes to the processing/getting the results... At least this is the case in the NYC area. I didn't pay an additional cost (my test was free through my health insurance) and the medical network that I used definitely had a backlog. Normal turnaround time was 3 - 5 days average
​​​

joecool1885 Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 (Post 32682889)
To me, rapid means exactly what it says which is fast.
​​​

Yes, rapid means fast. But rapid in terms of COVID testing has always been associated with the non-PCR tests. Hence to suggest to anyone that they seek out a rapid test might be leading them down the wrong path. If they request a rapid test, they may find out at check-in that the country they are headed to doesn't accept their test results.

Receiving your PCR test in a rapid fashion is completely different than receiving a Rapid-PCR test, of which there is none.