FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Award Availability from DOH-MLE in Early October (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2024403-award-availability-doh-mle-early-october.html)

bdubs7 Sep 2, 2020 1:19 pm

Award Availability from DOH-MLE in Early October

Hey guys,

I'm looking to connect in Doha on my way to the Maldives. For some reason, there is no award availability (even in coach) for DOH-MLE for almost all of October, yet it's available every day in September (and 90%+ in November afterwards). Does this make any sense? I can find award availability for JFK-DOH, but not DOH-MLE.

Are they loading up the october schedules or something?

Thanks

daway12 Sep 2, 2020 4:16 pm

That's what I have found and I have been looking a ton recently for our return flights since our SQ flights were cancelled. I could easily book DOH-DFW for late October but no luck finding award space on MLE-DOH for a Saturday departure from MLE. I panicked earlier this week and ended up buying two economy tickets to get from MLE to DOH as I was worried prices might go up and wanted to at least have a ride home.

joecool1885 Sep 5, 2020 5:23 pm

Got the same issue. Currently 900RT for the dates I'm looking at. The whole trip would be 1500 in E from the U.S, so kinda a lame thing to have going on.
Booked ORD-DOH and DOH-LAX for two of us in J no problem.

joecool1885 Sep 8, 2020 2:28 am

Price went up to $1050pp. Went ahead and purchased, but really second guessing myself here.
Would really rather save myself $2100 and just spend 70K points, but still got nothing available for either direction in all but last week of October.
lame-o

bdubs7 Sep 10, 2020 8:06 am

omg I have no idea how this happened but somehow on the one date that I needed the seats from DOH-MLE to open up, 2 J seats opened!! and Funnily enough still no Y seats at all for that day or any other day in October (except the last week, but those seats are on a flight that isn't running right now, so they probably won't happen).

The J seats opened up 1 at a time, first I could only see 1 seat, I booked that, and then another seat opened up a few minutes later

I have no idea how that happened, but I'm not complaining! Thank you award availability gods!!!

joecool1885 Sep 10, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by bdubs7 (Post 32665495)
omg I have no idea how this happened but somehow on the one date that I needed the seats from DOH-MLE to open up, 2 J seats opened!! and Funnily enough still no Y seats at all for that day or any other day in October (except the last week, but those seats are on a flight that isn't running right now, so they probably won't happen).

The J seats opened up 1 at a time, first I could only see 1 seat, I booked that, and then another seat opened up a few minutes later

I have no idea how that happened, but I'm not complaining! Thank you award availability gods!!!

Nice. Im still holding out hope. It'll be $300 to cancel my purchased tickets, but would still rather spend 70K miles on E to save $1800.

bdubs7 Sep 10, 2020 10:56 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885 (Post 32665881)
Nice. Im still holding out hope. It'll be $300 to cancel my purchased tickets, but would still rather spend 70K miles on E to save $1800.

We were only looking at one way from DOH-MLE (flying MLE-DXB on the way back to check out dubai), and the price was $615 each for the coach flight. Last minute flights for this week were around $900~ish for the same flight, so we figured we'd hold off on booking until closer to the date since I figured, I'm betting $600 to save $1200 (i.e. if we did not book until last minute, and no award availability opened up, we would have to spend $1800 vs if we spent $1200 right now). So I figured those odds were good that Y would open up.

Fortunately, J did! Good luck!

joecool1885 Sep 16, 2020 12:00 am

Man, this is really irking me.
Availability on either side for BOTH my departure and my return, but not day of. More bizarre, those flights ARE available if booking E the full way through, but I'm insistent on J for US-DOH and DOH-US.

bdubs7 Sep 16, 2020 9:33 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885 (Post 32678720)
Man, this is really irking me.
Availability on either side for BOTH my departure and my return, but not day of. More bizarre, those flights ARE available if booking E the full way through, but I'm insistent on J for US-DOH and DOH-US.

Did you call AA and ask them to book Y for the doh-mle flight? You can do J in US-DOH and then Y in DOH-MLE on the same ticket. And if J opens up they can move you to J, no cost.

joecool1885 Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by bdubs7 (Post 32679665)
Did you call AA and ask them to book Y for the doh-mle flight? You can do J in US-DOH and then Y in DOH-MLE on the same ticket. And if J opens up they can move you to J, no cost.

I could give this a shot. I don't get it though: If I search ORD-MLE departing Sept 29, E shows available. (The DOH-MLE occurs on Oct 1). If I search ORD-DOH, J is no longer available (I already have my ticket though).
If I search DOH-MLE Oct 1, no availability shows.

Given all that, are you saying I could call AA and have them change my ORD-DOH J to ORD-DOH-MLE J/E.
If so, I feel like I'll confuse the hell out of the agent, what exactly do I say?

Edit: called them up. They said it would be $150 to add the segment since the flight was already ticketed, but even then since J wasn't available ORD-DOH anymore, they couldn't make the adjustment.

bdubs7 Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am

wait what? that's strange It's COVID- they should be allowing for free changes. And you might as well pay $150 vs $900 you said if you bought it as cash?

I had J US-DOH ticketed and they added the DOH-MLE for free.

Possibily because I originally had US-AUH-CMB-MLE, which I changed to US-DOH, so maybe they saw that I had MLE booked originally (on AA, the trip was still labeled as JFK-MLE) and that's why did it for free for me.

Maybe try again?

joecool1885 Sep 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by bdubs7 (Post 32679856)
wait what? that's strange It's COVID- they should be allowing for free changes. And you might as well pay $150 vs $900 you said if you bought it as cash?

I had J US-DOH ticketed and they added the DOH-MLE for free.

Possibily because I originally had US-AUH-CMB-MLE, which I changed to US-DOH, so maybe they saw that I had MLE booked originally (on AA, the trip was still labeled as JFK-MLE) and that's why did it for free for me.

Maybe try again?

Tried a second time and third time. Decided to try to deal with the return flight.. Second agent was having a bad day, so I HUCA. The last one was far better and seemed to have a firm grip on things. She was insistent though that even though on my end it looked like I could book MLE-DOH-LAX E on Oct 11, that it would actually give me an Oct 12 departure. MLE-DOH on Oct 11 I guess is truly unavailable (and same for DOH-MLE Oct 1)

I suppose though if it does become available, that'll save me 70K miles to just have them change it instead of forking out 17.5K PP each way. So thanks for alerting me to that.

joecool1885 Sep 24, 2020 9:27 am

Availability finally loaded up, but AA is insistent it has to be a separate ticket.
Online the following options are available: ORD-DOH-MLE in E, ORD-DOH in E or J, DOH-MLE in E.

Edit: called again, resolved. Now I just have to process my RT DOH-MLE refund, and all we be well.

NeoOfTheCRS Sep 25, 2020 5:13 am

Jfk-DOH in J, doh-mle in Y

Hi everyone, i booked an award ticket in which we fly Jfk-Doh in business and DOH-MLE in coach. QR is being very stingy with J award availability from DOH-MLE, even though it looks good.

I doubt that they are going to open it up in advance. Are there any requests or procedures that can be made or done upon arrival at DOHA? I see that they do not allow cash upgrades on award tickets. But I'm hoping QR has a procedure for downgraded passengers to standby at the gate.

enelym1978 Sep 25, 2020 8:16 am

Judging by the passenger load last week with DOH-MLE and MLE-DOH, there were very few or no J empty seats.