Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-from best aircraft to worst

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thumbs down SYD-from best aircraft to worst

After all the Qatar hype of flying the "state of the art, fuel efficient A351" etc etc replacing the A380 to Sydney why has this reverted to the horrible 777?
We've gone from the beautiful A380 and ended up with the loud, poor humidity and air quality, prehistoric cargo carrier 777.
Could someone remind Qatar that Sydney is an ultra long haul route and the 777 doesn't cut it. Leave the 777 for Emirates.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
The 777 carries more cargo than the 351, which is where they make most of their money on the SYD route since passenger numbers are capped.
YYCCL3, nancypants and msm2000uk like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
After all the Qatar hype of flying the "state of the art, fuel efficient A351" etc etc replacing the A380 to Sydney why has this reverted to the horrible 777?
We've gone from the beautiful A380 and ended up with the loud, poor humidity and air quality, prehistoric cargo carrier 777.
Could someone remind Qatar that Sydney is an ultra long haul route and the 777 doesn't cut it. Leave the 777 for Emirates.

If you are asking why the shift, there are any number of logistical reasons - and QR has always enjoyed giving itself some degree of fluidity in allocating aircraft to routes

And worth remembering some passengers prefer the 777 over the 350: so the bitterness of your disappointment in the switch will not be universal
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:30 am

...and the middle QSuites on the 777 have individual air vents, the 35K does not. Makes quite a difference.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I wonder if QR906/907 will follow the sameway. I am not fussed as long as it is a Q-suite equipped aircraft. I just hope everyday that my CPT flights aren't changed to 787, book for 351 get 787.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
No matter which QR aircraft you’re on, your QSuite will be far superior to the 2 week quarantine awaiting you on arrival in SYD.. I’d be MUCH more worried about that if I were you.
etiene, mpkz and TomTheSailor like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
And worth remembering some passengers prefer the 777 over the 350: so the bitterness of your disappointment in the switch will not be universal
They do?! I'm curious - is that in general, on QR, in J or something else?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by etiene
I've voiced this in other threads, but give me non-cubicle 350's and 777's any day. Can't stand the suites. Also, 77W in non-suite J is very nice, especially when you have the version ith only 4 rows J, it gives a very nice crew to pax ratio.

-A
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by etiene
Well I do! I never liked the cramped herring-bone arrangement, and I quickly got over the novelty of the Q-suite - nothing against it, but i have no requirement for "privacy", and prefer the space and comfort afforded by the "classic" 777 configuration.

I've flown the Doha Aukland sector a few times in unreformed 777 cabins, that's around 2 hours further than the Sydney route. I felt no ill effect from noise, humidity or cabin altitude/pressure.

But that was in business-class: In economy the downgrade to 10-across seating is certainly not something to celebrate.
cheltzel likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 29, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I could tell you that the 10 abrest QR 777-300ER's are not that bad. It's true that their IFE system is ancient compared to A380's or A350's, and the seat width may be narrower compared to the A380's and it might be noisy; however, the experience is pretty similar as if you get a refurbished 777-300ER with the new seats, it has the same seats with A350's and A380's.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA PL Pro, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum
10 abreast sucks, regardless of carrier. No one can make up for it with a power port or IFE.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I've voiced this in other threads, but give me non-cubicle 350's and 777's any day. Can't stand the suites. Also, 77W in non-suite J is very nice, especially when you have the version ith only 4 rows J, it gives a very nice crew to pax ratio.

-A
Careful, you might offend half this forum that think all aisle access and door makes a perfect seat

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I could tell you that the 10 abrest QR 777-300ER's are not that bad. It's true that their IFE system is ancient compared to A380's or A350's, and the seat width may be narrower compared to the A380's and it might be noisy; however, the experience is pretty similar as if you get a refurbished 777-300ER with the new seats, it has the same seats with A350's and A380's.
Totally agree. Flew in a newer 77W in Y and though it was very good with the upgraded IFE. To be fair, I was in the bulkhead row.

Originally Posted by aricane
10 abreast sucks, regardless of carrier. No one can make up for it with a power port or IFE.
I mean it's always better to have fewer passengers in a cabin yes but honestly I've transited from SQ 77W to EK 77W in Y and while there is a difference, I can honestly say that I was not less comfortable. Especially with EK's legroom, I was quite happy. (I'm 5'10"/177cm- 160lbs/72kg for reference)
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Totally agree. Flew in a newer 77W in Y and though it was very good with the upgraded IFE. To be fair, I was in the bulkhead row.
Same, since I became QRPC Platinum, I have never seated in a seat other than a bulkhead row or an emergency exit row; however, the comfort of the seat, except the legroom should not change.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by kq747
Careful, you might offend half this forum that think all aisle access and door makes a perfect seat
I have no doubt I have steped on half the toes in here through my years up to now, I doubt this comment will make much of a difference. Besides, a lot of the people in here travel in Y, I've never been in Y on QR, so little chance of meeting them .

-A
kq747 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I have no doubt I have steped on half the toes in here through my years up to now, I doubt this comment will make much of a difference. Besides, a lot of the people in here travel in Y, I've never been in Y on QR, so little chance of meeting them .

-A
Even if you don't travel Y you can still go back into the Economy Cabin and stamp on their toes
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.