Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Check in counter for half-upgraded tickets

Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:02 pm
LHK
Original Poster

Hi all, long time lurker here!

I received an upgrade offer email for both legs of my flight but for whatever reason the website wouldn’t load to the next page when I choose the first leg. I ended up upgraded only the second leg.

I will be flying out from LHR on bank holiday Monday and anticipating long queues. Question: can I check in at the business class counter if the first leg ticket is economy but the second business?

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by LHK
Hi all, long time lurker here!

I received an upgrade offer email for both legs of my flight but for whatever reason the website wouldn’t load to the next page when I choose the first leg. I ended up upgraded only the second leg.

I will be flying out from LHR on bank holiday Monday and anticipating long queues. Question: can I check in at the business class counter if the first leg ticket is economy but the second business?

Cheers
Not an expert but I doubt you'll be allowed to check in business with a Y ticket in the first leg.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:15 am

Good manners would prevent most from trying.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:33 am
LHK
Original Poster

Thank you both
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
It will go either two ways:

1) Agent can see second leg is in J and doesn’t mind checking you in.

2) Most likely, agent can see first leg is in economy and sends you to the back of the economy line and with the embarrassment of such.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:31 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I think there's a fair shot of this working if you show your J boarding pass first "by accident" and say you did not realize the first leg was in economy if asked.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:16 pm
LHK
Original Poster

Thank you all.

My question was posted genuinely in search for answer whether or not I could check in at the business class counter.

I don’t intend gain any benefit more than what I should. No need for snarky comment like about “mannerism”. I apologise for not posting at the flame-free thread, instead.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As some others mentioned, it should be at the agent's discretion.
As a back-up, I would advise you to check-in online as generally when flying QR, the online check-in - bag drop off queue is much emptier than the regular Economy counters.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Check in at the counter of the highest class of service on your itinerary as you won't have the privilege of checking in at the business class counter at the connecting point.

When approaching the counter, say "I am connecting to a business class flight" nicely and they'll likely check you in (since you won't get to check in again at the connecting point using the business class counter).
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:59 am
LHK
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

I managed to upgrade the first leg when I checked in online. I think the reason why I couldn't upgrade the first leg initially was because of aircraft change. The seat maps were different.
Jed, plunet and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LHK
Thanks for all the advice.

I managed to upgrade the first leg when I checked in online. I think the reason why I couldn't upgrade the first leg initially was because of aircraft change. The seat maps were different.
Enjoy your flight!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.