Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Doha to Portugal - anyone need a covid test?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

I am flying Doha to Lisbon. The first flight is with QR, then a transit, and on to Lisbon. The transit is possible on several routes/airlines as shown on Matrix.

No one can tell me if I need to show a certificate showing a negative test result. The QR site and those of other other airlines I could transit with give little "for sure" answers.

If I get no definite answer, then I will take the test and fly with the certificate - just to make sure I will be able to board.

Anyone with recent experience flying from Doha to Lisbon? Thanks for info.

Last edited by tmac100; Aug 26, 2020 at 1:08 am
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:00 pm

You would need to say what country's passport you will be travelling under and the full routing.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tmac100
I am flying Doha to Lisbon. The first flight is with QR, then a transit, and on to Lisbon. The transit is possible on several routes/airlines as shown on Matrix.

No one can tell me if I need to show a certificate showing a negative test result. The QR site and those of other other airlines I could transit with give little ""for sure" answers.

If I get no definite answer, then I will take the test and fly with the certificate - just to make sure I will be able to board.

Anyone with recent experience flying from Doha to Lisbon? Thanks for info.

The latest set of rules was published on 14 August. In the absence of any reports of experiences since then:

The absolute answer is going to depend on your passport and residential status in Portugal. Essentially, if you arrive on a flight from outside the EU you will need a test certificate - and you should be travelling for "essential purposes". If you are Portuguese or an accredited resident in Portugal then you can take the test on arrival (at your expense).

The actual implementation of the law could be more nuanced.

But crucial to your plans is the attitude of QR. As the carrier is liable to sanctions imposed by the Portuguese authorities for for not ensuring passengers who need certificates are carrying them, then it's likely they have a cautious, non-nuanced, blanket approach requiring all passengers to have certificates at check-in.

Conclusion: it's probably better to get the test done and carry a certificate. If you have time while you are in Doha, you could go out to the airport and get the full picture from QR check-in supervisors.

A short version of the relevant rules:

tmac100 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Canada passport with D7 residency visa for Portugal.

Several different routes starting in DOH on QR:

DOH-LHR, then to LIS on BA or TAP or possibly this route:
DOH-MAD, then to LIS on IB or TAP

Seems that to prevent issues, a certificate showing a -ve COVID test in Doha would be good to bring...

I called TAP and they said that in spite of having a D7 visa, because I was originating in Qatar I would need a negative test (done within 72 hours prior to boarding) - whether I flew of TAP from LHR or from MAD.

My suspicions are confirmed - bring evidence of the negative test result...

Last edited by tmac100; Aug 26, 2020 at 1:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.