Platinum checkin in T5 First Wing?

Old Aug 21, 20, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Platinum checkin in T5 First Wing?

Hi there, how does it work in T5 now for Qatar flights? Do we go to the First Wing or is there dedicated Qatar desks for Platinum/Business class?
Old Aug 22, 20, 1:51 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile View Post
Hi there, how does it work in T5 now for Qatar flights? Do we go to the First Wing or is there dedicated Qatar desks for Platinum/Business class?
As probably no one here in the QR board knows the answer to your question, I would ask the same question in the BA board and quote the answer in this thread.
IMO, there wouldn't be any QR desk in the First Wing as QR does not offer First Class at the moment and it would not make sense just to open a check-in desk for Platinum passengers. Business Class passengers despite the airline aren't eligible for the First Wing unless the passengers have oneworld Emerald status.
Old Aug 22, 20, 2:19 pm

Yes I suspect QR will have their own check in section in main area with their own flight supervisor overseeing all classes. But once you have your boarding pass, as a platinum you should then be able to pass security through the First Wing straight into the Galleries First lounge, which is quite civilised just now with the lower numbers and table service.
Old Aug 22, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
The only answer my post received about QR check-in at the First Wing

Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
I didn't notice any when I was there last week.

rb211.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 22, 20, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
So to update anyone who reads this, my flight was this morning.

Qatar are in Zone A. Economy and Business and Ticket Desk.
It looked a complete mess in the economy line, but business/platinum line was empty.

The fast track's are closed so can't go through there. She made no mention of going to First Wing to clear security. I did see it is just BA First and American Flagship First. But as a QR Plat/OW Emerald maybe I could have gone.

Anyway went through normal security and then to the First lounge and got in no issue. Although at checkin she told me to use the Aspire lounge... which was strange.
Old Aug 22, 20, 11:15 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile View Post
Although at checkin she told me to use the Aspire lounge... which was strange.
It's because QR has an agreement with Aspire - paying premium and status pax to use it. They don't want to pay for the BA lounge which might cost more to them.
Old Aug 23, 20, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
....They don't want to pay for the BA lounge which might cost more to them.
Maybe, but all passengers checking-in at the premium-class check-in will be given an invitation and directions to the lounge QR is tied to. It's the default option. I don't think desk agents are expected to be clued up on the alternative Oneworld arrangements and permutations: after all, even the Guardians of the Gates to our lounges can be hazy on some of the rules.

It would be odd if the agent had specifically instructed a passenger not to go to any other lounge than the Aspire one.
Old Aug 23, 20, 2:12 am

Re. the lounges, it is very common for QR to use a contract lounge even where there are oneworld lounges in the same terminal.

Perhaps it's cost, or maybe it's a deliberate choice not to put passengers into the hands of other airlines if they don't have to. Either way though, if you have status you can still choose to visit a oneworld lounge instead of (or as well as) the contract offering.
Old Aug 23, 20, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
It would be interesting to compare the Aspire lounge to the Galleries First lounge either way.
NoY likes this.
Old Sep 27, 20, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I just had a very stressful experience checking in, but the good news is that access to the galleries F lounge through the F wing was not a problem.

I am traveling LHR-DOH-LAX (sure it's a$$ backwards, but that's my itinerary). When I went to check in, they told me that there is a new rule that passengers cannot fly from the UK to the US, and they needed to obtain special permission from Doha. I am a US citizen, so this should not have been an issue, but it took them an hour to get the go ahead.

Once I finally had my BP in hand, I walked over to the F wing with my BA Gold card and had no issue using the F wing as I normally would and am now enjoying a much needed double G&T.

BTW, I noticed, when they tagged my bag, that they did not use a Priority tag. I asked and was told they don't do that at LHR. Anyone ever hear that before?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: