Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Starting from 13 August 2020, QR now has a new medical requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting from 13 August 2020, QR now has a new medical requirement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, Qatar Airways is flying to IST 2 times a day and to SAW 3 times a day.
The reason behind they started SAW is that when they were only operating at Atatürk Airport, it was over capacity and they needed extra slots; QR was not granted the slots they wanted for ISL so they decided to fly to SAW as another destination and they are doing pretty well over there.
This is OT, but how can QR currently operate 5 dailies, even if SAW uses A320?
Is that because they need to fly to keep the slots? Is there so much demand during Covid?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
This is OT, but how can QR currently operate 5 dailies, even if SAW uses A320?
Is that because they need to fly to keep the slots? Is there so much demand during Covid?
Nothing to do with slots.

The flights are generally close to full and there is demand. Also, the fact that Qatari nationals are exempt from the 15-day hotel quarantine when arriving from Turkey, they could isolate themselves at home instead. Onboard my SAW-DOH flight this week, the flight was full of Qatari nationals and passengers transferring to the Gulf area, Iran, and Iraq.

Also, there is a huge cargo traffic between Qatar and Turkey so that might also be a factor in this.

The pre-COVID situation was 2 x 777/350/787 mix to IST and 3 x 320/321/330/787 mix to SAW
Now, it's 2 x 777 to IST and 3x 320/321 mix to SAW.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Yep, cargo will be a big factor here, Qatar is still under blockade conditions from its near neighbours, and Turkey among other nations has been a significant supplier of goods to sustain Qatar during these times.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For Turkey flights your assumption is correct.
For the other 12 countries on the list, passengers would need a negative COVID test regardless of the final destination.
i chatted with the QR twitter team about this and it sounds like -- from what they told me, and this very confusing page https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...ese-countries- -- that if i'm flying IST-DOH-LAX they will require a test for my IST-DOH flight. if so, does anyone know what the best istanbul testing location is in terms of turnaround time? i'm worried because my IST-DOH flight is on a saturday evening, meaning i'd get tested friday morning and hope i get my result in time for my flight.

thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jonk
i chatted with the QR twitter team about this and it sounds like -- from what they told me, and this very confusing page https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...ese-countries- -- that if i'm flying IST-DOH-LAX they will require a test for my IST-DOH flight. if so, does anyone know what the best istanbul testing location is in terms of turnaround time? i'm worried because my IST-DOH flight is on a saturday evening, meaning i'd get tested friday morning and hope i get my result in time for my flight.

thanks!
You do not need to get a COVID test if your final destination isn't Doha. The COVID test requirement for Turkey flights is only for passengers whose final destination is Doha.
I have recently flown SAW-DOH-ORD with QR and I didn't get tested for COVID nor I was asked any COVID certificate.
jonk likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are transiting in DOH, tests are only mandatory if you fly from one of these countries;
https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...all-countries-

There are other specific rules to enter Qatar or some final destinations.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by craig44485
FYI for anyone departing MNL. Just got our swab tests for our MNL DOH JFK flight on August 27. We used Philippine Airport Diagnostic Laboratory for the tests, they offer home service, at cost of P11,500.00 per person ($237.00 USD). We got tested at 11am on August 25 and received our results via email at 10:50pm that evening. A bit expensive, but for those with tight time frames this is a a God send.
Saw in their page that they also have drive-in testing. And they are near the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: IB Platinum *A Gold
Has anyone flown from GRU recently? I just had my flight cancelled and am trying to ascertain when is the latest I can leave with the negative covid certificate that I got this morning. The website says "issued within 96 hours", the call canter has confirmed that this is indeed correct. I do, however, wonder if the check in agents will actually look at the test administered date (which in my humble opinion makes a lot more sense), rather than the issued date? Any personal experience?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawyergirl
Has anyone flown from GRU recently? I just had my flight cancelled and am trying to ascertain when is the latest I can leave with the negative covid certificate that I got this morning. The website says "issued within 96 hours", the call canter has confirmed that this is indeed correct. I do, however, wonder if the check in agents will actually look at the test administered date (which in my humble opinion makes a lot more sense), rather than the issued date? Any personal experience?
Indeed, common sense suggest that QR follows all airlines/countries rule to take the testing time as reference.
96h is already more than any other airline/country requests. If QR requires a test whose report is dated up to 4 days before the flight, that would be quite ridiculous and a pure PR trick.
If the results take 3 days to be sent and you fly from GRU say to Asia or EU, you will potentially arrive 8 days (4+3+1) after the negative test. That test has become meaningless.

Note that the State of Qatar requires the test to be taken 48h before to be admitted in the country.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: IB Platinum *A Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, common sense suggest that QR follows all airlines/countries rule to take the testing time as reference.
96h is already more than any other airline/country requests. If QR requires a test whose report is dated up to 4 days before the flight, that would be quite ridiculous and a pure PR trick.
If the results take 3 days to be sent and you fly from GRU say to Asia or EU, you will potentially arrive 8 days (4+3+1) after the negative test. That test has become meaningless.

Note that the State of Qatar requires the test to be taken 48h before to be admitted in the country.
Totally with you on that one. Nonetheless, I have found myself in the situation where I had done the test for the departure (as close as I possibly could) that never happened - since Qatar chose to cancel less than 24 hours prior. I now want to postpone the flight by a few days so I get a descent connection to my new destination but don't want to be subject to the test again unless I absolutely have to. So as ridiculous as the "issued 96 hours before departure" rule is, I just want to understand whether this is what people are asked for, so I can ascertain when is the latest I can fly without needing to repeat the test.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the countries required to provide a test issued 96h before departure, I doubt that you will get posters with actual experience.

I would never trust QR website 100%. But they seem to know the difference between the words "issued" (your case) and "taken" (case of pax ending in DOH.
The recently switched from "issued 72h before" to Issued 96h before". They do not request a specific lab either, as opposed to those entering Qatar.
I would assume that issued means when the report was "printed".

Of course, your country of destination might be more stringent. However, I feel that this requirement is mostly face saving PR. Personally, I would be worried to have one of my leg with pax coming from India (or Brazil) given the laxity of the requirement. But I fully understand your situation and would not be worried if your PCR results where issued with 96h of the flight. Just my personal belief.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:19 am

Hi all,

A quick question just to be sure. I have the following round-trip planned for the next weeks: AMS-DOH-GRU.

It is clear to me I will need to get a PCR test in GRU before the flight back as per the QR Medical Requirement policy. However, I am wondering if I will make it all the way to GRU and that's why I prefer asking the question on this forum.

I was pretty confident as, based on TIMATIC, Brazil lifted entry restrictions a couple of months ago. As a Dutch passport holder, I will qualify for a visa exception for a 2 weeks stay. I am also already aware I will require an insurance statement.

But... after browsing on QR website, I am not so sure they will let me go now! This is what you can read for Brazil in the "Travel and entry requirements" webpage:

Travelling to Brazil

• There is an exceptional and temporary restriction on the entry of foreigners into Brazil, of any nationality, as recommended by the National Health Surveillance Agency - Anvisa.
  • The restriction does not apply to:
    • Brazilian, born or naturalized;
    • Immigrant with permanent residence, for a fixed or indefinite period, in Brazilian territory;
    • Foreign professional on mission in the service of an international organization, as long as duly identified;
    • Foreign employee accredited to the Brazilian Government;
    • Foreigner:
      a) spouse, partner, son, father or curator of a Brazilian;
      b) whose entry is specifically authorized by the Brazilian Government in view of the public interest or for humanitarian reasons; and
      c) bearer of the National Migration Registry
  • Exceptionally, the foreigner who is in a land border country and needs to cross it to board a flight back to his country of residence may enter the Federative Republic of Brazil with authorization from the Federal Police.
    • the foreigner must go directly to the airport;
    • there must be an official demand from the embassy or consulate of the country of residence; and
    • the corresponding air tickets must be presented.
Does anyone have a recent experience? Is it just simply not updated?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.