Doha to CNX and HKT in Thailand?

Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Doha to CNX and HKT in Thailand?

I booked my flight (6 weeks ago or so) for late November. Flights were available to Chiang Mai (CNX) and Phuket (HKT) directly from Doha...now I am concerned that only Bangkok airport that will be opening. Do I need to change my flights? Any idea on when those flights would resume?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
I booked my flight (6 weeks ago or so) for late November. Flights were available to Chiang Mai (CNX) and Phuket (HKT) directly from Doha...now I am concerned that only Bangkok airport that will be opening. Do I need to change my flights? Any idea on when those flights would resume?
How long is a fish?

Noone knows these answers for now, it is a good chance that tourism (if that is your purpose in Thailand) won't open up this year. Or they might decide they need the cash and partially open it. We don't know yet.

-A
NoY and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you're flying as a visitor/tourist, I think your chances of flying to Thailand are less than 10%, sorry to say. This region is not going to open up this year.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:01 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
The Thai government are very very risk averse, due to the C-Word, & have pretty much kept all borders closed since March. They are totally paranoid about "letting Covid-19 in" from abroad...rightly or wrongly.

Here in Phuket its (relative) bliss for us without thousands of tourists BUT the economy is hurting very badly.

I suspect tourists will be allowed in to Thailand this year (they NEED them) but under strict conditions only. Watch that space.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by quinzinho
If you're flying as a visitor/tourist, I think your chances of flying to Thailand are less than 10%, sorry to say. This region is not going to open up this year.
It would be interesting to know the source of information to justify such a statement, or if it is just speculation based on personal opinion, then such comments are hardly helpful.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:29 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by passy777
It would be interesting to know the source of information to justify such a statement, or if it is just speculation based on personal opinion, then such comments are hardly helpful.
It is clearly pure speculation. Nobody knows for sure. Not even the government/s.
flightcrew1 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
As commented by someone else, of course it's speculation as NOBODY knows now, but OP asked a question to which I think I gave a very well educated guess. This is a forum, you see? Let's say it's based on my experience living in Thailand and following the news there daily. But I see you have way better opinions, so please enlighten us all.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: QR Plat
It's probably a statement of facts, backed by sworn statements from the Thai government, and thorough analysis from their medical experts, then published and peer reviewed. Just like 98,23% of all other comments on Flyertalk. Or not. I keep mixing up the two.

As always, if what you read doesn't clearly link to facts to cover what is said then just assume it's one person's view on the matter, based on whatever experiences they might have.

-A
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...this is not promising to hear even though I thought end of Nov is far and things might open up way before then...Any other suggestions for open places accepting Americans by the end of Nov?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: SQ Gold / SU Silver / QR Gold
I dont think flights to CNX/HKT will be resumed by the end of this year. While these flights are heavily carried by holiday makers from the west, so these flights will only be resumed when foreigners are freely entry into the Kingdom. As for now, I dont think this will happen anytime soon.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm...this is not promising to hear even though I thought end of Nov is far and things might open up way before then...Any other suggestions for open places accepting Americans by the end of Nov?
Are you a Thai citizen or resident? If not, I dont see a trip in November in your future.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I'm booked to fly to Thailand at the beginning of October, but having been following the news there since making my booking in June, I am becoming increasingly pessimistic about the likelihood of my trip being able to go ahead. There is very strong pressure to re-open to foriegn tourists from parts of the country that are heavily reliant on tourism, such as Phuket, and there has been speculation about the government allowing foreign tourists back to places like Phuket and Koh Samui ahead of the rest of the country on the grounds that a) the economy of such places will collapse without foreign tourism, and b) they are islands, and so any potential new outbreak could more easily be contained. April to September/October is low season for tourism in Thailand, so the full effects of the exclusion of foreign tourists has not yet been felt. The peak months for tourism are November through to February, and vast numbers of businesses will be in danger of collapse if the country remains closed to foreign tourists throughout that period.

However, the Thai government, as someone pointed out earlier, appears to be paranoid about the idea of there being any new cases of COVID-19 in the country, possibly because they fear that would only increase the upsurge of popular dissent that has recently seen spontaneous demonstrations in various parts of the country. If the argument were simply between a gradual opening of the tourist economy and preventing any, even small, new outbreak of COVID-19, the government may well decide to risk a gradual re-opening of the country, however if they believe that their own fate may be wound up in the decision, they won't be opening up any time soon, and the state of emergency will probably continue to be rolled forward on a month by month basis.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
There is talk about creating tourist bubbles by the end of the year.
I would reach out to your closest Thai Embassy and get on a list for entry to Thailand.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc
There is talk about creating tourist bubbles by the end of the year.
I would reach out to your closest Thai Embassy and get on a list for entry to Thailand.
I don't think any Embassy will have started a list for random foreigners wanting to holiday in Thailand.
NoY, SFOTraveler1984 and quinzinho like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)
I think HKT can be a good choise since i have a feeling that it will be isolated.touristic areas that will be opened up firstly. I (used....) to live on Samui between my shifts at sea and would not be surprised if my routing would be via HKT next time i fly home. I still have hopes for beeing able to travel in Oct...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.