Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Repatriation Flights & Onboard Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Repatriation Flights & Onboard Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: CX
Smile Experience on flying with Qatar during COVID-19

Flew with Qatar for my first time last Sunday, certainly not my last

Route: HKG->DOH->MAN
Date: 14/06/2020

HKG is deserted as expected, there are no queues hence I was able to go through check in and security very quickly.

As I accepted the online upgrade offer, I wasn't entitled to lounge access, however their usual contract lounge - Plaza Premium First was temporarily closed.

Lights were off in parts of the terminal to conserve energy. The wing has also moved their entrance to L7 only.

Bording was smooth with less than 40 people at the gate, however, priority bording was still enforced.

Stormy departure as the typhoon signal No. 3 was in force. Pre-departure drinks were offered and full wine menu was available. Packaged refreshing towel was offered instead of the usual hot/ cold towel of choice. FAs are in full PPE.

Pyjamas are handed out and Cabin manager came to introduce herself. Amenity kit is already sitting on the table, alongside with a set of toothbrush.

Menu has been reduced to 1 page only, with no desserts offered. However, FA was kind enough to bring me a tray of snacks post meal for my sweet tooth.

I have chosen the Pineapple punch and pretzels were given out in place of warm nuts.

Of course the meal was accompanied by the classic docking scene from Interstellar.

Had a short but great sleep, and I woke up just an hour before landing for breakfast.

Meals came with plastic covers and FA will ask before removing them. I wasn't able to get my first choice however this was also very enjoyable, probably dodged a bullet here as people have mentioned that scramble eggs are usually overcooked on board.

A swift descend into a sunny and hot Doha at around 5 a.m. Excellent service by the crew who proactively offered drinks and was very attentive. (Never had to press the call button during the entire flight)

HIA was very quiet in the morning and AM lounge was open.

Jet bridge was broken at the gate hence we had to take the bus to terminal instead, however that means we didn't have to walk much Thermal cameras were present before the transfer checkpoint. Business & First transfer section was closed off but we could walk straight through security.

DOH->MAN was quite busy and I'd say the flight had around 150 people on board. No QSuite on this A359 however I managed to book myself in the mini cabin.

Forgot to take any picture but pre-departure drinks were offered, again with a full bev & wine menu.

Menu was shorten to a single page, however choices appear to be much better than the HKG-<DOH leg perhaps because this is a daytime flight.

I started with the cold cuts with droplets of cavier for breakfast, followed by Waffles.

Finished off the flight with a cup of camomile tea and a cookie.

Excellent service again by the crew, Cabin manager came by few times and made sure everything is ok. Throughout the flight FA checked in regularly and proactively offered me drinks and snacks, I probably had 3 cups of tea all together (a bit too early for champaign)...

I was handed out a bottle of Evian just before we descend, a nice gesture from the manager.

Having flown with Cathay for 5+ years, Qatar definitely offer superior services and service was fantastic and genuine, and it was very impressive to see that QR has managed to maintain their quality during these difficult times. I am very greatful for the service that Qatar has delivered, and I cannot wait to fly with them again once the Covid situation improves.

Last edited by IamOmni; Jun 16, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:42 am

Really good review. Yes, I also want a cookie after a sweet waffle. It just goes to show what is actually achievable in premium classes in these difficult times. We are looking forward to a trip on Qatar Airways late October.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Some cracking photos there!

M
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Even if QR didn’t give you any lounge invitation in HKG because it was an upgraded ticket, your business class boarding pass would have allowed you to access any oneworld lounge like the CX ones.
mlqsko and IamOmni like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:31 pm

Thanks for the TR.

How was the mask situation? Required/enforced?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4
Even if QR didn’t give you any lounge invitation in HKG because it was an upgraded ticket, your business class boarding pass would have allowed you to access any oneworld lounge like the CX ones.
Thanks for the info, the checkin agent told me that there's no lounge access for online upgrade, but I shall try my luck next time...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:42 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Nice TR, thanks for that!

Was the amenity kit provided the same as the regular one they provide? Any photos of this by any chance?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
Nice TR, thanks for that!

Was the amenity kit provided the same as the regular one they provide? Any photos of this by any chance?
Sure

Usual Nappa Dori amenity kits were provided with Castello Monte Vibiano Products.

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:15 pm
HB7

Originally Posted by IamOmni
Sure

Usual Nappa Dori amenity kits were provided with Castello Monte Vibiano Products.

Thanks for that!

Although - when did QR switch from BRICS? I thought that was the Amenity Kit supplier?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Thanks for the TR.

How was the mask situation? Required/enforced?
I'll ask again
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by HB7
Thanks for that!

Although - when did QR switch from BRICS? I thought that was the Amenity Kit supplier?
QR has used Nappa Dori for flights scheduled to be shorter than 5-6 hours for years now. However, sad if BRICS on long-hauls are one now.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:35 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
QR has used Nappa Dori for flights scheduled to be shorter than 5-6 hours for years now. However, sad if BRICS on long-hauls are one now.
Ah that explains it! Thanks for that!

Cheers
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Pics are great IamOmni, thanks for sharing! Seems QR are doing a great job of keeping as close as possible to the usual experience. Great also to see some new breakfast main course choices on the MAN flight.

My only criticism (which is entirely personal, and entirely trivial) is the prepacked pretzels. Would there not be a way to retain the warm nut service?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
nice to see a trip report... wish I could fly again.. its been since March of this year...
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Appreciate the report, was about to take that route in a few weeks, have delayed it till the UK removes their quarantine restrictions - still good to see what it would have been like, and I appreciate you sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.