QR to begin flying Boeing 787-9s in 2021

Old Jun 29, 20, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

QR to begin flying Boeing 787-9s in 2021

Still no new deliveries for a few years, but the Dreamliners already delivered are set to take wing next year, AAB says, and apparently they'll have an all-new fully-private business class seat that's more 'Qsuite-inspired' rather than 'Qsuite 2.0' (that's being saved for the Boeing 777X).

The key take-aways (so you don't feel obliged to click the link)
* it'll be more like the Boeing 787-8 (and A380, and early A350-900) business class seat, aka Collins Super Diamond, but...
* AAB revealed the design “will be similar to the Super Diamond, but it will not be by Collins"
* also, the 787-9 fleet is intended to replace most of the 787-8s “which we will lease to other airlines" (fingers crossed for BA!)
* the rest of what we knew about this 'Dreamliner Qsuite' – lighter weight, lower walls, double bed but no quads – appears to still apply

Link, if you did feel like clicking it (but the core info is above) is https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class
N1Rotate and jmj9905 like this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jun 30, 20 at 1:22 am
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Surprised they didn't just do a variation of the "seat with a door" design which they know already fits on B787s.. like the BA Club Suite, although that is based on the SuperDiamond and built by Collins.

Also surprised to see their comments on the B788s, thought they worked well on the thinner, longer routes. Then again, probably worth taking everything with a pinch of salt in the current climate.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Surprised they didn't just do a variation of the "seat with a door" design which they know already fits on B787s.. like the BA Club Suite, although that is based on the SuperDiamond and built by Collins.
Yes, I was quite surprised when he made that remark – you'd have thought that the Super Diamond 'Suite' design developed with/for BA would almost certainly be a lock, even if BA had dibs on it for a certain period, there'd p'haps be enough time between its launch and the QR launch, along with QR being an IAG stakeholder so mates get preferential treatment etc.

Ah well, who knows... if QR has chosen Thompson's Vantage for the A321neo, maybe they've also gone for the Vantage XL 'Honeymoon' and doored that... unleash the speculation!
N1Rotate likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Also surprised to see their comments on the B788s, thought they worked well on the thinner, longer routes. Then again, probably worth taking everything with a pinch of salt in the current climate.
Weren't the 788s planned to be going to Air Italy before it went under? In terms of fleet planning it seems they were always expecting to be moving on the 788s once the 789s arrived.

The cabin designs of the 788s are approaching 8 years old now so a product refresh might not have been far off anyway, especially given the shift to qsuites. Moving them on saves having to pay for that.
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plt, HH Gold
Given the number of last-minute aircraft swaps they used to do (maybe those have ended with COVID?) wouldn't it be wise to go for standardization across the fleet so that biz customers could know what they're buying/getting?
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dcmike View Post
Given the number of last-minute aircraft swaps they used to do (maybe those have ended with COVID?) wouldn't it be wise to go for standardization across the fleet so that biz customers could know what they're buying/getting?
That is what they are doing essentially. The A321/787/A350/777 will all have some sort of variant of the Qsuite, with a similar look and feel, direct aisle access and high privacy. You will no longer have 2-2-2 seating or recliner business class seating.

The A350/777 has the original Qsuite. The newer A350/777 will have an updated Qsuite, same functions but with a lighter structure and lower heights on the doors.
The 787-9 will have essentially a Qsuite in look, feel and privacy but without the capability to open up 4 seats together due to limitations in aircraft width.
A321NEO will have a mini-Qsuite in look, with direct access, privacy partitions but with no doors.
dcmike and purple1addict like this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
Still no new deliveries for a few years, but the Dreamliners already delivered are set to take wing next year, AAB says, and apparently they'll have an all-new fully-private business class seat that's more 'Qsuite-inspired' rather than 'Qsuite 2.0' (that's being saved for the Boeing 777X).

The key take-aways (so you don't feel obliged to click the link)
* it'll be more like the Boeing 787-8 (and A380, and early A350-900) business class seat, aka Collins Super Diamond, but...
* AAB revealed the design “will be similar to the Super Diamond, but it will not be by Collins"
* also, the 787-9 fleet is intended to replace most of the 787-8s “which we will lease to other airlines" (fingers crossed for BA!)
* the rest of what we knew about this 'Dreamliner Qsuite' – lighter weight, lower walls, double bed but no quads – appears to still apply

Link, if you did feel like clicking it (but the core info is above) is https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class
djsflynn,

Well done with the QR scoops the past few days, and you managed to get a lot more clarity from Mr. Al-Baker regarding the fleet plans compared to recent coverage in other media.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
We loved flying the Q-Suite in Feb 2020 on the A351. We enjoyed the 'tall' walls and enclosure. It's disappointing they are reducing the wall height as we really liked the privacy aspect.

Anyway, I'm sure it will still be very good.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:58 pm

I have a flight next april doh/wdh on the 788. I can always hope it will re replaced by the 789.
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
I have a flight next april doh/wdh on the 788. I can always hope it will re replaced by the 789.
We also flew the 788 from DOH-CPT. It wasn’t the Q-Suite, but still very comfortable and the bar area behind the Business section was great. I stood back there chatting with folks for at least an hour while having drinks brought to me.

The A351 doesn’t have this feature.

I was still able to sleep well for about 6-7 hours on the non Q-Suite. It’s comfortable, just not nearly as private.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:07 pm

cslovacek thanks for the information. I think we flew that same route about three years ago and you are right it's not that bad.
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1Rotate View Post
djsflynn,
Well done with the QR scoops the past few days, and you managed to get a lot more clarity from Mr. Al-Baker regarding the fleet plans compared to recent coverage in other media.
Thanks, but I have the advantage that I'm a bit more focussed on product and fleet than most other media who have been chasing the bigger more-mainstream or more-industry picture... all the same, my 25 minutes was tight and I've had loved another 5-10 to dive into more details, although one can never guarantee those will be forthcoming.
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:44 am
HB7

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Qantas FF, Etihad Guest.
Even though it seems like it's going to be years before we are back to normal, just thinking ahead to 2023/2024 about flying in business with QR is exciting due to the strategy of keeping aircraft young and always refreshing their product.
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
cslovacek thanks for the information. I think we flew that same route about three years ago and you are right it's not that bad.
Absolutely!

My wife and I are HUGE Q-Suite fans, but let's not kid ourselves. When you are trying to sleep, lie-flat is lie-flat when it comes to Business Class Seating. What sets the Q-Suite apart is immense privacy, which we enjoyed tremendously. However, from a straight up sleeping perspective, it doesn't matter whether is has the door enclosure or not.

I will say that both flights: Q-Suite and Non Q-Suite, the stewards and stewardesses were simply amazing. They truly made the flights what they were. Shortly before landing in Doha, the steward came by, asked if we had a nice flight, etc and he got to chatting with my wife and me. We mentioned we were spending the night in Doha before continuing on. He wrote down a list of things for us to do AND gave us his phone number in case anything came up or we had any questions. Truly, a great guy..

Another part of the great experience (non airplane related), was when we came back the following morning to check into Doha. Having our own dedicated check-in hall, passport control and screening at 5:00 am was fantastic. We didn't have any bags to check (as they were thru-checked from origin), so we just walked straight through. I believe there might have been one other couple checking their bags, but the serenity and service were absolutely fantastic.

I dream about the day we can do it again (February 2022) and I'll be searching for flights starting in March of next year. Our AA Miles are ready to go

Last edited by cslovacek; Jul 1, 20 at 7:24 am
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:28 pm

cslovacek you are right lie flat is lie flat. We were supposed to do this trip in April 2020 but that didn't happen. We are cautiously optimistic for April 2021. Hope you make yours in 2022.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: